Cat Won’t Play, But Wants To

• Thread starter Deleted member 10013100
  • Start Date

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat would play fetch (almost - he would bring it back but still out of reach) with the Nerf dart gun. As soon as he heard the gun cocking he would sit at our feet and wait for the launch.
The other thing he liked was playing hide and go seek. I would get his attention, and go hide behind a wall or door. He would come find me, then run away and go hide. Then I would chase him and find him, then run away and go hide. This could go on for 10-20 minutes sometimes. Sometimes you don't even need a toy to play with them!
And the last thing he liked that was out of the norm, and yes you might all think it's gross, but...he liked to play with MY hairballs. I have long curly hair, so the only time it gets "brushed" is in the shower. When I'm done, I roll up all the hair from my fingers and comb into a tiny ball and leave it in the shower. Within minutes, he'll go in and get it, he carry it around and bat it around, then discard it in his food dish, grab a bite and he's done till the next clean hair ball is left for him in the shower.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
be careful with the hair ties, some cats will insist on eating them and that is the path to the vet.

Sweet Gum, who liked attacking feet best, accepted as a poor substitute but a substitute plastic bendy straws, one pack is enough for several cats, share with your friends. She also enjoys more than any other ball small balls made from soft silver foil liners in packages, the inside of frosting cans. Foil from the roller seems to be too hard, but I think she likes the glitter.

Now that she's older she'll chase small balls with bells in them.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The red dot and ping -pong balls are toys my cats reliably go for.

VioletB&HoneyBee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes it take a while to figure out what toy is gold to a cat. AND, when using wand toys, remember that you MUST BECOME the "prey" on the end of a stick. If it is feathers, you can't just swing the stick. You have to make the "bird" swoop and flutter and hop a bit on the ground before taking off again. If it is a mouse, it must skitter and hop along the floor. SIGH...a good method acting course helps. Don't ask me how I know this.
Wow!!! I just started trying this, and it’s amazing! Thanks fir the tip