Cat won’t eat, enlarged liver

RJB2011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 12ish year old cat Willow has hyperthyroidism and was on too high of a dose of methimazole for about two months. We noticed she was sleeping a lot and losing weight so we took her to the vet and found out her thyroid was only .05. They reduced her meds and told us she’d perk up, but instead she continued to decline becoming even more lethargic and losing so much weight she is skin and bones. We took her back in and they ran a full blood panel and found out she has elevated liver enzymes but everything else was normal. They hydrated her and gave her an appetite stimulant but that only helped slightly. She ate a bit over the weekend. But she’s only 4 pounds, she can’t afford to lose any more weight. She had an ultrasound and we found out that her liver is slightly enlarged. Again more hydration and we’re told to bring her back in three weeks. I bring her home and she refuses to eat for nearly two days, but then I get her to lick some food off my finger and she ate some dry food and treats overnight. But the following day she refuses to eat again until the evening when she licks a bit of food off my fingers. Last night she didn’t eat anything and now when I put food near her mouth she gags. The vet has told me there is nothing else to do. I’m heartbroken and I need some advice. Is there anything to do to help her liver? Any medicine? They’re not giving her anything but Mirataz to stimulate her appetite but that doesn’t seem to be working anymore. They even took her off her thyroid meds completely. Can anything be done to save her? Should I consider a feeding tube?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You have to get willow to eat. Try Baby food liquid stuff chicken. Boil a chicken breast. Try Hartz Delectables Bisque For Senior cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RJB2011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You have to get willow to eat. Try Baby food liquid stuff chicken. Boil a chicken breast. Try Hartz Delectables Bisque For Senior cats.
She ate an entire squeeze up last night before I went to work (I work night shift), but overnight she didn’t eat anything. I’ve been trying to get her to eat this morning since I got home from work but it makes her gag. I smeared Baby Thrive in her mouth and it made her dry heave twice. I’ve tried all kinds of food, treats, canned tuna, people food. She’ll eat a bit one day and then go a day or two without eating anything. Now that forcing her has made her wretch I feel awful

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may have Hepatic Lipidosis, which many cats get when they stop eating. Did the Vet mention that specifically? When they have that they do often vomit or at least gag around food, so they get anti-nausea medication along with supplements to help heal the liver, and more often than not, a feeding tube. Plus antibiotics are usually given as a precaution in case there is an infection somewhere causing the issue in the first place. Personally, I think you need a 2nd opinion since your Vet hasn't even offered an anti-nausea medication. When a cat (or person for that matter) is feeling sick to their stomach, no matter how much appetite stimulant you give them, they still won't want to eat. That sounds like that is what is happening, so the first thing that needs to happen is help with the nausea.

This is a very serious issue and needs to be dealt with immediately, so if your current Vet won't prescribe more meds, then please see someone else asap.

RJB2011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet never mentioned this but I found that diagnosis online and asked her about it. She said she didn’t think that was what was happening because that usually happens in obese cats and my Willow was only 7 pounds prior and 4 pounds now that she’s stopped eating. I asked her about a feeding tube and she said she’d had bad luck with feeding tubes. She said there was nothing else she could do. I called every vet in town and all are booked, but I did just get her an appointment tomorrow at a vet about 45 minutes away. Wish us luck. My poor baby is suffering. I know she wants to eat but she won’t let herself. Thank you for your advice.

RJB2011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She may have Hepatic Lipidosis, which many cats get when they stop eating. Did the Vet mention that specifically? When they have that they do often vomit or at least gag around food, so they get anti-nausea medication along with supplements to help heal the liver, and more often than not, a feeding tube. Plus antibiotics are usually given as a precaution in case there is an infection somewhere causing the issue in the first place. Personally, I think you need a 2nd opinion since your Vet hasn't even offered an anti-nausea medication. When a cat (or person for that matter) is feeling sick to their stomach, no matter how much appetite stimulant you give them, they still won't want to eat. That sounds like that is what is happening, so the first thing that needs to happen is help with the nausea.

This is a very serious issue and needs to be dealt with immediately, so if your current Vet won't prescribe more meds, then please see someone else asap.
The vet never mentioned this but I found that diagnosis online and asked her about it. She said she didn’t think that was what was happening because that usually happens in obese cats and my Willow was only 7 pounds prior and 4 pounds now that she’s stopped eating. I asked her about a feeding tube and she said she’d had bad luck with feeding tubes. She said there was nothing else she could do. I called every vet in town and all are booked, but I did just get her an appointment tomorrow at a vet about 45 minutes away. Wish us luck. My poor baby is suffering. I know she wants to eat but she won’t let herself. Thank you for your advice.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My 12ish year old cat Willow has hyperthyroidism and was on too high of a dose of methimazole for about two months.
I agree with mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens that a second opinion from a knowledgeable vet would be helpful and in your cat's best interest. How did your vet diagnose Hyperthyroidism? Did they do a T-4 test and what was the dose of Methimazole? This TCS Article about how to get your cat to start eating might have some helpful advice and information for you:
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles
I'm glad you were able to get an appointment with another vet tomorrow. Best of luck and please keep us updated. :goodluck:

RJB2011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens that a second opinion from a knowledgeable vet would be helpful and in your cat's best interest. How did your vet diagnose Hyperthyroidism? Did they do a T-4 test and what was the dose of Methimazole? This TCS Article about how to get your cat to start eating might have some helpful advice and information for you:
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles
I'm glad you were able to get an appointment with another vet tomorrow. Best of luck and please keep us updated. :goodluck:
It looks like I have to let my baby go. The new vet said that she would only give her 20% odds of survival and that’s with a feeding tube and IV fluids in a hospital setting. I want to do it. I want to do everything, but I also don’t want to put her through all that with her chances being so low. I just keep thinking she’s going to bounce back. This can’t be happening. I’ve never loved anything like I love my Willow. How do I let her go? I feel like my heart has been torn out of my chest.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hepatic lipidosis can happen to skinny cats too.

Ask your vet for some Hills A/D. It is like kitty crack made specifically for sick cats who need to eat but may not feel like it. If your kitty won't eat that, then yes, you should consider a feeding tube. And you'll probably use Hills A/D for the feeding tube.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looks like I have to let my baby go. The new vet said that she would only give her 20% odds of survival and that’s with a feeding tube and IV fluids in a hospital setting. I want to do it. I want to do everything, but I also don’t want to put her through all that with her chances being so low. I just keep thinking she’s going to bounce back. This can’t be happening. I’ve never loved anything like I love my Willow. How do I let her go? I feel like my heart has been torn out of my chest.
I'm so sorry :hugs:. What did the new Vet diagnose the problem as? So many of us here know what you are going through as we have been there ourselves. It is heartbreaking. Have you decided what you are going to do? If it's Hepatic Lipidosis, there have been cats with it that were on their death beds who have survived, and others who weren't that bad who didn't make it. I had a cat with it many, many years ago who made it through the H/L, but then died before his feeding tube was taken out of something else. It's a long road to recovery, but it is possible. Of course, it really depends on what caused it in the first place, or if we're even talking about H/L.

If you decide to let her go, you might get some comfort by paying tribute to her in our Crossing The Bridge forum. Either way, we are here for you.

Catdaddy1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am awaiting your reply! I am having trouble feeding my cat as well and hope that those miracle odds come through.