Cat won’t eat, been to vet

Catdaddy1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did go to the vet Friday. Save your nerves!

This past Monday I noticed that my cat(ragdoll 1 and 1/4 years old) wasn’t eating much of his kibble. I went and gave him some wet food, which he barely ate any of. Fast forward through the week. He barely ate any wet food and no noticeable amount of kibble.
I tried to get different kibble and wet food, still no success. He’s been acting lethargic.

Friday I took him to the vet. Got x rays and blood work done. Nothing major or alarming in their eyes. They did mention some things that I will add into here Monday when they re open.
Later Friday they gave him fluids and me some Mirataz and high cal/water pate food for him.

Now it’s Sunday. Ive seen him drink water, no large amount. And when he eats his food it’s once a day, and it’s about a fingernail worth. Nothing really changed.
I’m looking for any insight or tips, really anything

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
You need to start handfeeding him don't leave it up to him, he has got to get calories into him.

Whether you syringe it (there are YouTube videos) or use a Popsicle stick (I personally find this gets more food across the tongue and down the throat in a shorter time frame), that food you got from the vet should work with some water added to it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No vomiting, diarrhea, etc? Until such time you can connect again with the vet for more information about his blood work/x-rays, can you try any of the things in this TCS article (see link below).

I have found great success with baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) when a cat is unwilling to eat other foods. It is not nutritionally complete, but better than nothing and can sometimes 'jump start' a cat to eat again.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catdaddy1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
You need to start handfeeding him don't leave it up to him, he has got to get calories into him.

Whether you syringe it (there are YouTube videos) or use a Popsicle stick (I personally find this gets more food across the tongue and down the throat in a shorter time frame), that food you got from the vet should work with some water added to it.
Thank you for the reply.
this weekend he still barely ate. I did end up syringe feeding him last night, and today when I got off work until he got upset. And do plan on trying again later tonight.
I went to the vet today, and they recommended as the next step to get an ultra sound. Which the vet said she did try to do one to see anything even though she is not a technician. And she said she saw something there but was unable to give any detail on what it was.
after When they were putting pressure on his stomach with a stethoscope to listen he was getting angry and growling(wouldn’t every cat?).

Tomorrow morning I am headed to one of the ER to get an ultrasound done.

The vet stressed that surgery may be needed. That from how long he hasn’t been eating, and how he’s reacted to the Miritaz.
the vet said depending on what the results are they may have to do surgery. that what they find may be cancerous.
She then went into it may be something they can cut out and nurse him to eating again. Or it may be something that is everywhere and it’ll be too late.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try not to think it's that bad just yet. It could be a blockage, could be a severe case of constipation, could be lots of things that are NOT malignant cancer. No way to know until they first see the ultrasound and then, if necessary, do surgery.

Please keep us posted. We will be keeping our fingers crossed for you and your little one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catdaddy1996

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try not to think it's that bad just yet. It could be a blockage, could be a severe case of constipation, could be lots of things that are NOT malignant cancer. No way to know until they first see the ultrasound and then, if necessary, do surgery.

Please keep us posted. We will be keeping our fingers crossed for you and your little one.

Will do!
I do have the lab results available if anyone is curious.
Here are the Vet notes

Findings: One ventrodorsal, one right lateral and one left lateral view of the thorax/abdomen are provided. The cardiovascular and pulmonary structures are within normal limits. No pleural or mediastinal abnormalities are detected. Abdominal detail is poor. There is a lobulated opacity to the central mesentery all views. No GI dilation, displacement, bunching or plication is noted. No other abnormalities are seen.
Conclusions: There is abdominal effusion. This may be neoplastic, inflammatory, hemorrhagic or of other etiology. The lobulated appearance to the mid mesentery may be due to mesenteric lymphadenopathy, clumped bowel loops or other. Sonography is recommended along with diagnostic abdominocentesis.