Cat With Strange Looking Nail On Back Leg. Help?

jetgirl43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there! I am waiting on a vet visit for next week for my cat, and as I was snuggling him earlier I noticed this for the first time. I usually clip their front paws but not their back ones since they tend to already be really short, but I never noticed this. I’m not sure if it is irritated since he let me touch it, but is there anyone that recognizes what it could be and anything I could do to make it more comfortable if it does look irritated?

Thank you for all your help!

Attachments

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's very interesting! :think: by any chance -- is your cat polydactyl (have extra toes)? i ask because our Punky is polydactyl and one of her 'extras' is a 'dew' claw on one of her back feet, just up from her toes. i do trim Punky's extra dew claw as needed.

can you describe where this what looks like possibly an extra claw is located, in relation to your cat's toes on the foot/leg?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jetgirl43

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that's very interesting! :think: by any chance -- is your cat polydactyl (have extra toes)? i ask because our Punky is polydactyl and one of her 'extras' is a 'dew' claw on one of her back feet, just up from her toes. i do trim Punky's extra dew claw as needed.

can you describe where this what looks like possibly an extra claw is located, in relation to your cat's toes on the foot/leg?

Hey there!
My kitty is not a polydactyl, this claw is basically the “pinky toe” paw on his back left foot. He doesn’t have any other ones that look like it. And it definitely looked normal before so I’m wondering if maybe he snagged it and now it’s growing out funky? I’m not too sure unfortunately.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey there!
My kitty is not a polydactyl, this claw is basically the “pinky toe” paw on his back left foot. He doesn’t have any other ones that look like it. And it definitely looked normal before so I’m wondering if maybe he snagged it and now it’s growing out funky? I’m not too sure unfortunately.
yes, i think that's a possibility. you might discuss this claw with your vet when you see him/her next week.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like some sort of keratin overgrowth. Not sure exactly, but my cat has cutaneous horns on her back paw pads that look similar, except they are not part of an actual nail. Hers are harmless and the cause is not known. She doesn't feel them at all and I trim them once a month or so.

Your cat is different in that it's part of an actual nail itself, so it's good you're having a vet look at it. The color and texture just remind me of my cat's growths.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It just looks like a claw that hasn't had the old dry sheath pulled off. Cats usually bite their back paws to pull the old claw sheath off, so he must have missed that one for some reason. It sometimes happens to the front claws with older cats who don't care about scratching things anymore. Usually clipping the nail will crack the sheath so it falls off or the cat pulls it off.