Cat with Possible IBD

droidus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am told by my Vet. that my 6 year old cat probably has IBD. He throws up a lot, frequently during the week, but no diahrea. He is a picky eater, but seems to be OK with wet food. My vet. would like to do a full panel of bloodwork and an ultrasound. I was told by them that all they could really do is "manage" his condition. Should I go ahead with these procedures? Is it worth it if in the end, all we can do is "manage" it? Has anyone dealt with this before?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IBD can only be treated and managed, not cured. Most cats need a combo of diet and medication to manage the symptoms at first. There are quite a few members here on TCS with IBD cats. I have one. My IBD cat is currently only on diet for his condition. I feed a commercial raw diet. Others feed canned food.

A biospy is the best way to diagnose IBD but since it's expensive, many people opt to do an ultrasound instead.

Two good web sites with more info:

Lots of IBD cats are sensitive to chicken so you may want to stop feeding that. Novel proteins such as rabbit and venison seem to work well for IBD sensitive tummies but every cat is different. Prescription food isn't necessary at all.