Cat With End Stage Kidney Disease Questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cesrenia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One other thing, about the nausea. When/if you get some different wet foods. Try to find several different flavors to rotate thru at every or every second meal. Sometimes, the nausea a CKD cat feels is due to the toxicity build up in the kidneys. They then THINK that it's the food making them sick, so they will refuse the food they just ate a meal prior. But by rotating different flavors, it helps to stop that cycle a bit. We had 7 different wet foods and 3 different dry foods for my Toby to eat, and it really helped. He only stopped eating if he crashed (which was fixed with more fluids), if he had a mouth infection (due to pain) antibiotics fixed it all up, and finally in the last few weeks of his life.

Is the vet positive that Taqui has nausea and it's not a tooth problem?
No she did say something about a tooth looking bad. He's battled bladder infections for a couple years and we've tried hard to find the right antibiotic. Should I get that checked into more?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No she did say something about a tooth looking bad. He's battled bladder infections for a couple years and we've tried hard to find the right antibiotic. Should I get that checked into more?
I would look into that more. Maybe there's something about the chronic bladder infections (possibly kidney infection if it's gotten bad) that is causing the CKD to be worse? I'm not sure if chronic bladder or kidney infections would contribute to CKD, but it would make sense.
And I mentioned the tooth because CKD kitties tend to be prone to mouth/tooth issues. My boy was, he had several abscesses over the least few years of his life. Due to his age and overall condition he was unable to get any work done (anesthesia would have killed him) so we simply had to give him periodic antibiotics to keep the infections at bay.