Cat With Decreased Appetite Suddenly Won't Eat Out Of Usual Bowl

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello all again. I have yet another query relating to my cat, Scraggles, that I’m hoping you might be able to help me with. Scraggles has lost his appetite a bit the past week and, why I’m posting is, tonight he wouldn’t eat out of his bowl but would only eat if I sat on the ground with him and fed him directly off the floor. I’m a bit worried about him. First thing I should mention is I have been in regular contact with my vet and he has advised to monitor over this weekend and then possibly to bring him back in Tuesday when he reopens after Easter (or he also has an emergency number I can call if needed).

To give a bit of detail: I brought Scraggles to the vet five days ago where he had to be sedated. Since coming home his appetite hasn’t been anywhere near where it normally is. On the advice of someone here from another thread I have bought hairball remedy and have been giving it to him the past three days. He’s eating treats and I’ve been giving him more Dreamies than I normally would, but at least he’s eating something. And he is drinking. But he won’t eat his normal food. As I mentioned in another post he does show an interest in food – he still meows at meal time and stands where I store his food – but then once he actually gets it – if I stand over him he eats a few morsels and then walks away uninterested – if I don't stand over him he doesn't really eat it at all, just sniffs at it, maybe gives it a couple of licks, then follows me whatever I go off to. I should also mention that I’ve tried a few different foods to see if it’s just he doesn’t like this brand anymore, but no luck so far.

But then tonight, the same thing happened, he was meowing as I came down the stairs as he knew it was meal time, and he stood at the door of where I store his food. I got his food and put it in his bowl, and he did the usual, sniff and then show disinterest. I then sat on the floor with him trying to encourage him to eat, also I then took some of the food out of the bowl and put it directly on the floor and that’s when he ate some. He still didn’t eat as much as he normally would, but there was definitely an improvement in the amount.

I’m puzzled and concerned about this behaviour. Asides from his appetite he is acting completely normally, he has the same energy as usual, he’s not showing any signs of pain, he doesn’t seem in any way weaker or unhealthy… although he does seem slightly clingier since coming back from the vet – I don’t know if that might be of any relevance…

I’ll get him a bowl with a lower lip no problem if that is a solution to things – but I don’t want to be accidentally overlooking what could be a serious problem – as in, is the sudden not eating out of a bowl a whim or something I should be worried about? Does this mean that he actually is in pain? The bowl does have a high enough lip – and I know some cats don’t like that – but it has never ever been a problem for him before. He has eaten out of this same bowl pretty much since he arrived here. And he’s a young cat. I’m going to see if he eats the same way again in the morning and take it from there – I will be talking again to the vet, but, I would really love a second opinion, I'd love to hear from any of you if you’ve ever come across this or have any advice for me. Thanks again.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What was he sedated for at the vet five days ago? Was he sick then, or just something routine?

Sometimes the sedatives can cause a loss of appetite, but temporary, not usually five days.

Try to keep him eating, anything he will eat, until he goes back to the vet on Tuesday. If he'll eat off the floor, then I would sit there and spoon one bite at a time out of his bowl onto the floor if that gets him to eat. The things we do for our cats. :rolleyes:

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
He might be nauseous for whatever reason and so feeling hungry but icky. Catnip is good for all digestive complaints, as well as nausea and anorexia.

What are his bowel movements up to?

Have you tried tinned tuna in spring water? :fish: It might tempt him and kick start his appetite.

I've just posted a reply on a thread about constipation with a load of dietary aid suggestions. It'll be near the top of the cat health pile.

Maybe try a wider bowl (a soup bowl or plate) elevated a couple of inches off the ground on some books or such like.

Poor Scraggles, and poor you. When will it ever end? Dudley is stressed out and has dandruff now. *Sigh*. I'm not sure whether it's the stress of my moving house (and my own preoccupation and stress levels), to do with the sudden movement of a year's worth of dust in the atmosphere, or cos I'm a lax parent and haven't been keeping up his grooming regime. I feel terrible whatever, as it's obviously my fault.

Columbine Columbine might have some tempting treat and food suggestions. You're in the UK, right?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why was he sedated last week? Has he had a dental check up? Have you tried offering stinky wet food? Is he using the litter box normally and is he pooping?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank-you all so, so much for replying! To answer your questions:

Scraggles was sedated for bad matting under his chest and armpits – Scraggles is a bull-headed long-haired once-stray that refuses to let me brush under there – but I’ll have to work on it as can’t have him sedated yearly… He didn’t react the best to the sedation I don’t think – it was three days before he started walking/acting like normal and also before he peed (but this might have something to do with using a litter tray which I’ve gone into a bit in another thread). He was an outdoor cat when he first arrived, bit by bit I’ve been making him an indoor cat – up until last week he was refusing to use a litter tray and still going outside when he needed to – but last week he was so woozy there was no way I was allowing him outside and, with help from this forum, he used the litter tray for the first time. I have, though, been allowing him out again for a couple of hours during the day the past two/three days as I thought the stress of being permanently inside might be affecting how he’s eating. I’ll work on keeping him inside more again when he’s fully recovered. It does mean unfortunately that I don’t know what his poos are like as, although he’s still peeing in the litter tray, he’s not pooing in it.

Maybe I should try keeping him in again fully and “forcing” him to poo in the litter tray – although I’m just worried like last time he’ll just keep it in and the stress of all that surely can’t be good for him – oh I don’t know!

While he was under he did have a dental check – the vet found a small bit of plaque which he chipped off. Seeing as Scraggles was getting sedated anyway I asked for a full check-up and the vet was happy and gave him an all clear. Your question though, StephanieTX, has reminded me of a possible “symptom” that I did tell the vet about – Scraggles sometimes has kind of “fishy” breath. I think the vet put it down to the plaque but I noticed that it still smelled the same the other day…

Have found the other thread Brian007 and will definitely be looking into your suggestions – they’ve always been incredibly helpful so far –

And I’m in Ireland, so just around the corner!

When it comes to Scraggles and stinky wet food – I have tried it – but he’s not a fan of wet food in general. I’ve been trying the past while to add more wet food to his diet bit by bit – he eats certain flavours slowly when I don’t give him another option. But last week I tried some cheaper/stinkier version that he had eaten before – but he left it untouched so have been feeding him just the dry since as I know that that’s what he prefers. I’ll put out more though of the brand he has been sort of eating as I had noticed that wet food can give him a stinky bum which would mean that things are moving and he is at least pooing. I'll try the fish also.

And then this morning – the same again – as my alarm went off and I started moving about Scraggles meowed as usual knowing that food was on its way, running downstairs and sitting where the food is stored. When I fed him, as I watched over him he ate a small bit from another dish I put out to try, then walked away – I called him back and sat with him like yesterday and fed him more from the ground, then he continued to eat as I fed him. Then he walked off and had a long drink of water. When he finished I managed to give him a couple more morsels (again off the ground) and then he’d had enough. He’s still not eating enough – but again today it seems to be a very slow improvement, bar the issue of refusing to eat from a dish…

By the way, when I say I watched over him while eating I do that because if I don’t he doesn’t eat. I know sometimes cats don’t like being watched – and normally I wouldn’t really – but if I don’t stand beside him and watch with him the past week it means he doesn’t eat at all. He was never like this before – he’s normally a total glutton when it comes to food whether you’re watching or not. It’s just so bizarre and worrying, it’s like he’s developed some weird complex overnight and it is so, so out of character for him.

Brian007 – I’ve been following your preparations for your move – I hope you and Dudley are doing O.K.. – there is nothing more depressing than a house move – for me anyway, it really is just how it highlights all the “crap” you’ve accumulated and the whole thing really gets me down I have to say – it will be over soon though…

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi scraggles scraggles :wave3: Thank you for taking this gorgeous boy in. I'm certain he appreciates it :lovecat2:

What food are you feeding him currently? It's easier to make suggestions if I have a starting point:winkcat:

It sounds like he's had a pretty bad reaction to the anaesthetic, poor guy :( My old greyhound used to react dreadfully to anaesthetics, always having a colitis flare that lasted for a week or so afterwards. I'm wondering if something similar may be going on with Scraggles. Seeing his poop would really help you work out what's going on, though I absolutely understand the difficulties with transitioning him from stray/feral to indoor only. As far as using the box goes, a litter attractant might help. I know a lot of the US folk swear by Dr Elsey's Cat Attract, but that's hard to find here (not to mention extortionately priced when you DO find it :rolleyes:). Amazon has a selection of other options though, and Zooplus has one too.

Nausea may well be a factor in his lack of appetite - is he licking his lips a lot when investigating his food? That's a good indicator of nausea, though it isn't alway present. I'd also be worrying about a potential hairball blockage, but that's really tough to call without knowing what his poop's like :ohwell:

The most important thing right now is that he eats, so keep feeding those Dreamies if that's what he'll go for! Freeze dried treats (such as Thrive or Nature's Menu Country Hunter treats) are often very stinky, so might well be worth trying too. They also cruel well, so can make good toppers for other foods. The Nature's Menu ones can be rehydrated and fed as a balanced meal too, so that's something else to consider. Plain meat baby foods are often extra-tempting too, especially if warmed up (just make sure they don't contain garlic or onions ;) ). Sometimes hand-feeding can tempt a sick cat to eat too, but it very much depends on whether they're comfortable eating that way.

Nutri-Vit paste can be helpful for tempting sick or fussy cats to eat too, and it supplies additional vitamins and minerals (including taurine) that might be missing when a cat isn't eating well. These articles may help too:-
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again
Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous?
Everything you need to know about constipation in cats
Transitioning Your Cat from Kibble to a New Type of Food (Canned, Raw, or Homemade) (has some useful tips on tempting cats to eat ;) )

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like a negative effect from the sedation. Hope Scraggles can shake it off soon, and start eating and feeling better. It's good that you are staying in touch with your vet. Perhaps he can offer some sort of appetite stimulant.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I found some cat attract on Amazon UK when I first heard about it on TCS, having never known about it before. This one is relatively cheap. The site won't let me post a link but it's called, Simple Solution Cat Litter Attractant, and costs as little as 3.50 Euros with approximately 4.70 Euros postage. Other, seemingly better ones, cost a little more, but are probably worth it. I know of at least one cat on this site whose lifelong "going" outside the box was cured overnight by cat litter attractant.

I had a thought that besides Dreamies being irresistibly scrumptious, they're also softer than normal kibble. Maybe Scraggles has a sore mouth from it being poked and prodded by the vet, and finds his kibble uncomfortably hard at the moment. Which would, hopefully, mean, that his lack of eating is only temporary. Keep feeding him those oh-so-tasty Dreamies. They do a furball one too, which is the one Dudley gets in his treat weeblewobble device. Or maybe mix the baby food that Columbine Columbine suggested into his normal kibble to soften it up a bit.

:sheep:

Last edited:

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank-you all again so much for taking the time to help me will all of this! I’ve been going through your recommendations and I really appreciate them. O.K. – I’ve a couple of updates since I last posted – main one being Scraggles pooped in his litter tray! – and my word it’s smelly. Is it weird to post a photo of it? – maybe it is but to describe it it’s quite firm it seems – slightly maybe yellow – and smelly.

I feed him a brand called Real Nature Wilderness REAL NATURE WILDERNESS WIDE SAVANNAH ADULT - Name Ihrer Website

I was feeding him the chicken with fish one before the Savannah poultry with lamb and bought a bag of it last week to see if he just wanted to go back to that flavour – didn’t seem to make a difference though. It’s also that brand I use for his wet food – I couldn’t tell you how many wet foods I tried before he finally started eating this brand – and even at that I think there are only two of the flavours he puts up with.

Another bit of progress – I rooted out a can of tuna I’d bought for him before but couldn’t find – and he took a couple of mouthfuls – and then “dug” at the ground around it to bury it. At least he’s eating something.

Also I’ve been to the shops and have bought baby food which I will be trying later – I did also buy some really cheapo wet food that I was giving him when he very first arrived and again he took one or two mouthfuls and dug around it. I hate feeding him that stuff but I want him to eat something! Anything at this stage! I was brought up with dogs and in an era of "dry food is better” – if I’d have been on this site back when Scraggles first arrived I would have done things a bit differently I think – mainly I would have attempted to transition him from the cheap wet food he was eating when I wasn't sure if he belonged to anyone to better wet food rather than the dry food I opted for thinking it was "better".

I was actually looking around for those Dreamies furballs Brian007 Brian007 as I knew I’d seen and used them before but they didn’t have that type there – I got a Whiskas version – but I don’t know if anything will be quite as addictive as Dreamies. I think I know exactly what you’re talking about when you mention a weeblewobble device – I got one for Scraggles but it scared the life out of him.:cold:

Funny you should mention the licking lips Columbine Columbine – I thought I heard him doing something similar the other day but by the time I’d turned around to him he’d stopped – maybe he was just grooming himself but it did sound a bit different to his normal noises.

Also – since last posting earlier (a few hours before he pooped) he had a sniff around his litter tray and since I’ve put clay from the garden in it he did chew at some of the grass in it – I don’t know though if this is something he’s always done outside or new behaviour.

Just to mention also I’ve just tried to poke a bit at his belly and it doesn’t seem in anyway sensitive or hard. I’ve given him his hairball treatment for the day and will follow up all your suggestions – really – thank-you all so much for your concern! My vet, when talking to him, didn’t seem to be overly concerned. I really like this vet and I do think he’s great, but I think he’s more pragmatic maybe if that’s the word.

Last edited:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on Scraggles finally pooping in his litter tray! Yay!

Everyone has so many wonderful suggestions, and I hope you soon find something that works for your guy.

One of my cats is a former feral, and didn't understand the concept of plates or bowls when we took him in. So up until fairly recently, I had to dump his food on a flat surface like a piece of butcher paper, a flattened-out paper sack, a piece of cardboard, the bathroom floor, large ceramic or porcelain tiles (about 12x18) I bought from Home Depot, etc. Maybe it was more familiar to him since he was used to eating out of garbage cans or on the sidewalk. But as others have said, you just gotta do what you gotta do to get your baby to eat -- wherever and whatever that may be for now. :)

Wish you and yours all the best!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's nauseous, presumably from the anesthesia. The long drink of water is an attempt to settle his tummy. I would ask the vet for something to help settle his tummy. Here in the States, that's usually a shot of Cerenia. Then maybe talk to the vet about a daily dose of something to keep his tummy calm for the next week or so until he's back to normal. You're doing all the right things for him, so keep it up!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fantastic news that he pooped in his box ( Btw - plenty of people post poop pictures here :lol:. Not weird to us at all:winkcat:).

Those foods look decent, and I wouldn't be trying to make changes at this point in any case, especially as nausea seems the likely cause for his not eating. Take him back to the vet tomorrow and get him something for the nausea.

I hope he's fully recovered from the anaesthetic and feeling much more like himself very soon:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well seeing as this site has its own dancing banana poop emoji it must be O.K..!

****WARNING POOP PHOTO****

I'm going to show this photo to the vet and see what he says - as I'm not used to having a cat poop in a litter tray I'm not entirally sure how it's supposed to look - but my initial guess is that it looks possibly a little dry but overall O.K. - I've been reading that dry poop can mean constipation so maybe that explains some of what's happening...

Thanks everyone for the good wishes and help :rock:

Attachments

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks normal to me.

I usually take a fresh stool sample in a Ziploc to vet visits so they can look at it...if they want to.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like a typical bm to me.

I do remember the vet giving me a box of cerenia pills when I had Hector and it did wonders for her regurgitation/vomiting.

Get the small dog one (lowest dosage) and split the pill in quarters.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, that poop looks pretty normal :agree: Possibly a touch on the dry side, but not (to my eye) enough to be causing serious problems. Definitely show the vet that photo (or do as orange&white orange&white does and take a fresh sample in with you), just in case it's a contributing factor.

Do let us know how Scraggles is doing, and what the vet says :vibes: