Cat With Coccidia!!!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry it took so long to respond.
If he has a UTI, chances are he's not drinking enough fluids. Male cats especially have trouble on dry food alone as they don't drink the amount of water necessary and develop crystals. Which are very painful.
Is there any way you could give him at least 2 cans of wet food a day? One in the morning and again at night. The wet food gives them added fluids. Or, is your vet against this because of medication?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry it took so long to respond.
If he has a UTI, chances are he's not drinking enough fluids. Male cats especially have trouble on dry food alone as they don't drink the amount of water necessary and develop crystals. Which are very painful.
Is there any way you could give him at least 2 cans of wet food a day? One in the morning and again at night. The wet food gives them added fluids. Or, is your vet against this because of medication?
He does actually drink lots of water, I only feed him 1 can of wet but he never had trouble drinking, sometimes I was even amazed at how much water he does drink.
Now though he is on a special diet of Urinary SO and today he didn't have much of an appetite. He is on his second antibiotic day. Tomorrow I have to call the vet and ask him about this if he doesn't eat much.
But now I do want to feed him mostly wet, although it's quite expensive.
Do you think stress can cause UTI?

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it can cause diarrhea, but a UTI, I just don't know.
My vet said that stress can cause it but I was reading that it doesn't. Also, I read that a high protein food can cause UTI and I had him on a good high protein food:( this might all be my fault.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't blame yourself, we try to do the best we can for our little ones. He's still a kitten, right? Kittens need protein. Mine were also on a high protein diet, but they are female and don't have the same problems.

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't blame yourself, we try to do the best we can for our little ones. He's still a kitten, right? Kittens need protein. Mine were also on a high protein diet, but they are female and don't have the same problems.
No, he isn't a kitten, he is 5...the food is for adult cats and it's mostly made from meat but I had no idea a high protein food can cause UTI:( I just found put this now when I was searching UTI. I wanted to give him a very good food but I messed up.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't beat yourself up. You didn't know. Now that you do, you can help him and get more appropriate food for him. I've oops many times. Just make sure you learn from your mistakes and advise others who may not know.

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't beat yourself up. You didn't know. Now that you do, you can help him and get more appropriate food for him. I've oops many times. Just make sure you learn from your mistakes and advise others who may not know.
Yes, I will do.

kelleya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my 2 of my 5 cats to the vet last September, test showed Coccidia so treated all 5. Did 7 days of Albon then 15 days off then another 7 days. Thought that would do the trick. Well, took 2 back in as one had diarreah and the 16 year old we though dying of old age to find Coccidia, ring worm and round worm all back again. I treated all 5 for all of those last September. Someone told me to buy from horseprerace.com toltrazuril 5%-200ml Baycox has anyone tried it and if so since this is horse strength. How many ml per pound should I hive a cat so not to overdose them. Thank you, Kelley