Cat With Broken Jaw Had Teeth Cemented Shut. Questions About Tube Feeding.

Joydrop52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everyone, my cat got attacked by a dog and I rushed her to the vet he did X-rays and found no breaks. I went home with her and the next day her jaw looked crooked. I went to another vet to get second opinion and he took X-rays of different angles and found she had a fracture near the Tmj joint. He said it was far back on one side of her mouth and said it was uncommon for that bone to fracture. He couldn’t repaired it with wires because of the location of the fracture. What he did instead is “cement” her front teeth shut with a special acrylic. He put a tube on the side of her neck for feeding. Her mouth is completely shut. He said that if she vomits she could die. I’m terrified of that because I am new to tube feeding and heard that it is common for cats the vomit during tube feeding. The first day I fed her only about 15cc of watered down a/d food and about 25cc of water both divided into 3 feedings. I didn’t want to over do it the first day since she hasn’t eaten in 3 days only water and Iv fluids. Last night she ripped the top (the plastic part) of her feeding tube off and I placed it back. I had a e collar on her so not she how she did that. I’m worried of feeding her too much and her vomiting. She has always eaten in small amounts and not very much. She is an 8 pound cat. The vet wants me to feed her a whole can of a/d a day. Plus about 200mls of water. But each time I feed she starts swallowing a lot and I heard that means she might vomit so I stop and wait a bit then continue but around 10cc of food she starts to swallow a lot and make a hacking noise so I stop altogether. I wait 5 hours before trying again and by the third time she seems really full and immediately starts to make the hatching noise. I called the vet and he said that it’s normal but I know my cat and that doesn’t seem normal. She has always had a sensitive stomach and vomited a couple times a month. The vet said she would have to be like this for 4 to 6 weeks! The tube is placed correctly he said after doing an X-ray. I guess my question is if anyone had had experience tube feeding, what your experiences were and maybe some advice. Sorry for the long post but I’m so worried.

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OH poor girl! I have no experience tube feeding a cat but I hope she gets well

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m terrified of that because I am new to tube feeding and heard that it is common for cats the vomit during tube feeding. The first day I fed her only about 15cc of watered down a/d food and about 25cc of water both divided into 3 feedings. I didn’t want to over do it the first day since she hasn’t eaten in 3 days only water and Iv fluids. Last night she ripped the top (the plastic part) of her feeding tube off and I placed it back. I had a e collar on her so not she how she did that. I’m worried of feeding her too much and her vomiting. She has always eaten in small amounts and not very much. She is an 8 pound cat. The vet wants me to feed her a whole can of a/d a day. Plus about 200mls of water. But each time I feed she starts swallowing a lot and I heard that means she might vomit so I stop and wait a bit then continue but around 10cc of food she starts to swallow a lot and make a hacking noise so I stop altogether. I wait 5 hours before trying again and by the third time she seems really full and immediately starts to make the hatching noise.
Be very careful with tube feeding.
If I have understood it right, you give her 10 cc of food each time and then wait.
My experience was to give my cat 3 cc of food (Royal Canin Recovery) pushed into the tube in about 10 seconds (very slow) and then wait for about 30-40 seconds before another 3 cc.
Your vet might be right, the daily amount of food depends on the weight of your cat. A whole can of A/D has 156 g in my country, and this means it can provide 176 kcal, enough for a 3.2 kg cat.
You can split this amount in 5 or more meals daily. I know, it's time consuming and your patience will be put at a test.
My cat had a PEG tube.

I would give my cat 4 meals a day, 30-40 cc each time. I used Royal Canin Recovery, which has a higher calories content, hence you need less amount of food. I would also add some high energy paste to boost the calories content of each meal.
Every meal was about 15 minutes long. The first one right after waking up, another at lunch break, another one when I was back from work and the last one around midnight.
And water, at least 50 cc a day.

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can do this !
Get yourself a "baby bullet" or similar single serving blender. It will make your concoction much smoother, and prevent clogs. Your goal is that daily amount of calories, I would prepare the entire days meal, then divide into 35 or 10 cc syringes. (store in refrigerator).

Use just a small amt. of water to flush the tube before and after. The rest of the liquid is used in the recipe. You don't want to waste alot of the space in her stomach with just water, no calories... You can use H20, Goats milk for the blender liquid. I also added
https://www-jefferspet-weblinc.netd...3975f23535a8f056b0003b0/zoom.jpg?c=1402429220

this product is a thick, concentrated liquid that adds calories.
Also go to Tanya's crf site, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to her site, google it. It has LOADS of info on tube feeding and supply sources.

My avatar Serendipity, was my first kitty with a e-tube. She was Felv +. My second was Mikey who went anorexic and got hepatic lipidosis. Food is the only way to cure that.... took us 4 months with a tube for her to start eating again. But she DID !!!

Unfortunately, along the way she was diagnosed with cancer. I used to say we won the battle, but lost the war.
It is a challenging road, but totally worth it. Especially in your kitty's case of a fracture...that needs healing.

Just feed VERY slowly, you can pm me if you have questions. I'll be glad to help.

Lisa and kitties

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe mix in some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) with the fluid you are using? Extra fat/calories, protein, and calcium. What is the vet's prediction for time towel?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely call the vet and see what you are supposed to do if she DOES throw up, it may save her life. There are no openings at all into her mouth? You may have to have a syringe ready and go through the side of her mouth on the opposite side of the break. I feel for you, this is really scary for you. I pray she heals faster than they think, many cats do, and have her mouth opened as soon as possible. I would have that vets number on speed dial and take it easy and slow. It ahs been done before, so take hope. I'll pray for her and you, please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joydrop52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the input. My vet really didn’t tell me much just feed her a can of a/d a day. He didnt say how many times to feed her either. I went back to the vet a day after the tube was placed because she started to shiver and drool. She had a temp of 103.5. He gave her a 2 week antibiotic injection. He got mad at me for not giving her antibiotics but her never gave me any. I asked him questions and he was saying things like “I guess.” I left so frustrated. I want to go to another vet but I feel like since he did such a experimental procedure as he said it that he knows what’s best. Everyone says he’s a brilliant doctor but he lacks empathy. Anyway, I tried to move up to 20 mls of food in one feeding and she seemed like she was about to vomit near the end. I have to stop frequently and go really slow like 1 ml a minute. She is drooling a lot and not her usual self. He said drooling was normal. She constantly has lots of drool hanging from her mouth. He also said nothing of cleaning or bandage replacement. The way they secured the tube is with what seems like a bunch of medical tape wrapped thickly around her neck. I read online that I need to clean and check where the tube enters her neck but I can’t cause there is a bunch of tape around it. She has lost a couple pounds since the whole ordeal. I was doing research and found out that if cats lose a lot of weight they can get liver failure and now I’m worried. He said if she vomits there is nothing I can do. There is pretty much no room between her teeth. It’s only been 5 days and I can’t wrap my mind around 4 to 6 weeks of this.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely look for a second opinion and see another vet. And I would do as soon as possible!
The situation is totaly uncomfortable for you and the cat. None of you can live like this for a week, let alone over a month.

The cleaning and bandage replacement is something that your vet should have mentioned and taught you about.
When my cat had a PEG tube placed I was asked to have the wound and the bandage checked after a couple of days. Then I was asked to check and replace the bandage at home. I bought all the necessary and after a few days I became very good at it.

My advice is to go to another vet soon!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, call around first and ask if they are familiar with setting a broken jaw. That first vet's lack of empathy and telling you what to do is ridiculous. I hate what your little one, and you are going through. i acn't believe taht there couldn't be a little space left, especially on the unbroken side. Tell the new vets she has a history of throwing up and you are scared she will, then what?
PLEASE call around. Keep us posted!

Last edited:

Joydrop52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys I will. Last night I woke up to her growling. I turned on the light and her jaw was wide open. I’m thinking the acrylic glue wasn’t strong enough. Now she was her mouth open and in pain. I called the vet office and he wasn’t in today. They called him and he said to see her the next day at 8 exactly 24hrs. I’m shocked. I’m calling around to other vet clinics to see what I can do. Wish me luck....

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you luck with all my heart!!!
Keep calling and hopefully you'll find a clinic that can help your cat!!!
I'll be following your post for updates.

Joydrop52

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That’s her as of now. I had a talk with my vet and we sorted out my concerns. He placed two cut down straws on her fangs and glued them down. One month like this. She needs more water than usual since she drools a lot and she’s been constipated. The vet also said she has a lot of air in her stomach cause her mouth is constantly open. There is tape on the feeding tube because it ripped, the vet put waterproof tape on around it because he can’t replace it since her would have to undo the glue in order to stick a breathing tube down her throat. She still can’t vomit because her mouth is so open that it’s hard for her to swallow. It’s been tough but she is worth it. Several months ago I found her in a Costco parking lot scared and nearly getting hit by a car. She had all four paws with deep wounds. I think someone dumped her there. The first few weeks she hide constantly under the bed. Then one night she climbed under the covers with me and started purring. Since then she’s been great. So I thought this event was gonna set her back but she still purs and loves hiding under the covers. So I have to take it day by day and hope there are no more setbacks.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Good grief, that looks painful!

Is she getting any pain medication? something that could be ground up into her food? I'm not surprised at the drooling, and with her mouth open like that it might not be a bad thing. I can't imagine what kind of problems would occur if her mouth dried up and developed sores.

Honestly, that setup really seems weird and I would definitely get another opinion on the treatment of this kind of injury.

poor thing

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely get a second opinion on this set-up... strange....

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel so sorry for her! But it's most likely better than having her mouth cemented shut. I wonder why they can't come up with an in between? I just wish it was over. I'll pray for it to go quickly!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - is there any news? I guess it hasn't been a month yet so she's still stuck with her mouth open?