Cat With Anxiety? Or Maybe Just Afraid Of Something?

DakRob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys I joined the site because yesterday my female cat Phoebe started acting really weird. I also want to apologies for the long post, but its been a weird 24 hours.

Yesterday I had a free day so I spent most of it playing a game while she sat beside me. Well in the game, there are cats that meow and stuff. I noticed after she heard one of the meows that she started pacing a lot, peaking around the house, and trying to dig or claw her way under my closet door.

I managed to shoo her out of the room because my carpet was starting to look horrible and she left. Then at around 9 last night I realized I hadn't even seen or heard her since the incident so I spent about 30 minutes going through the house looking for her and going outside just in case she slipped out. She eventually came out from under my brothers bed and immediately ran to my room and tried getting in the closet again. I gave in and opened the door and she ran in for about 30 minutes or so before coming out and jumping on my bed. She randomly goes in and comes out and if I leave my bedroom door open she will walk over to it but run back into the closet. This also happened all night while I was trying to sleep and she kept meowing about something.

Finally, this morning I picked her up and carried her into the living room so that she might actually eat and use the litter box. Instead she started scratching me and then ran back to the closet when I dropped her. She absolutely refuses to leave the room. We noticed that she did stare at one of the cats every time we made attempts, almost like she was afraid but they haven't gotten in a fight in months. Plus I was right there when the behavior started so I don't see how the other cat is the problem.

I have to go to work this evening and I can't stand the idea of leaving her in my room without anywhere to use the bathroom or eat. I've brought her some food but she's only eaten a little bit of it. Is there any idea what this could be? If it helps any, she is fixed and she and the other cat have been living with us since they were babies almost 2 years ago.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site!

Hmmm is she an indoor only cat or indoor/outdoor? It may be a stretch but has she been checked for fleas? Sometimes cats will avoid rooms that are infested with fleas and start pacing/darting if they have fleas on them.

It’s weird that sounds from a game would freak her out. If that truly is the cause of it then I would imagine that you will have to re-introduce her to the room she is uncomfortable with and make her confident in it again. You might try offering a treat to her when she enters the room. Or, luring her with her favourite toy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DakRob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to the site!

Hmmm is she an indoor only cat or indoor/outdoor? It may be a stretch but has she been checked for fleas? Sometimes cats will avoid rooms that are infested with fleas and start pacing/darting if they have fleas on them.

It’s weird that sounds from a game would freak her out. If that truly is the cause of it then I would imagine that you will have to re-introduce her to the room she is uncomfortable with and make her confident in it again. You might try offering a treat to her when she enters the room. Or, luring her with her favourite toy.
Yup, she's an indoor only cat, I doubt she could have fleas. The game thing was the only thing I could think of since thats when she started acting weird. Oddly it happened in my room and she is fine being in here but refuses to leave.I managed to stuff her into a cat carrier so that she wouldn't scratch me and I took her into the living room and closed all the doors. She immediately ran back to my room and started trying to dig under the door to get back in. She's currently just sitting in there with the door open and has only came out because she smelled me eating breakfast but went back in soon after.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, she's an indoor only cat, I doubt she could have fleas. The game thing was the only thing I could think of since thats when she started acting weird. Oddly it happened in my room and she is fine being in here but refuses to leave.I managed to stuff her into a cat carrier so that she wouldn't scratch me and I took her into the living room and closed all the doors. She immediately ran back to my room and started trying to dig under the door to get back in. She's currently just sitting in there with the door open and has only came out because she smelled me eating breakfast but went back in soon after.
I wouldn’t try to force her into the room. She will have to decide that it’s safe enough for her to go in for herself. If she has a favourite treat maybe try to tempt her with it or give her a small treat every time she gets closer to going into the room to reinforce her behaviour.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the 'meow' from the game freaked her out. It must have been pretty realistic and scared her because she can't see where it is coming from, so hides in the closet. She should be better in 48 hours or so unless her anxiety is re enforced with more of these meows. She was startled at the sight of the other cat, thinking at first it was the intruder. It TRULY freaked her out, she actually thinks there is another cat in the apartment that she can't see. If at all possible I would set her up another temporary litter box to use in your room until she settles down. And some food and water. She is terrified of something, and if it isn't that you'll have to find out what it is. It just seems coincidental that she did all this during the game. My cats are so terrified of company they do the exact same thing. If they get outside they will not come back in the house for at least 24 hours and are still jumpy and scared for at least 48. Goodluck, and welcome to the site!

burningbright

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats are just scaredy cats. My two ginger brothers are different insomuch as one is frightened of his own shadow and the other is totally the opposite and I've brought them up exactly the same. So I have to be extra gently and coaxing with the timid one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DakRob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Small Update: I just got home from work and my family checked on her several times but she wouldn't come out at all. I left food and a temporary litter box while I was gone but neither were touched. I might call a vet tomorrow to see when I can take her in. She hasn't eaten in over a day at this point.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah if she’s not eating then there may be something else wrong. Good call on the vet. I would take her ASAP. If you have a syringe you can try syringe feeding some wet food to her (if you don’t have one, most pharmacies will give you one if you tell them you have a baby). This will keep her hydrated as well.