Cat went into culvert and can't get him out

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah he's probably a little freaked out, so even if you grab him he may scratch and bite to get away. It's not that unusual with housecats; they get so overwhelmed at being outside that they kind of lose it.

Can you rent a live trap? Otherwise just keep trying to lure him back to your parents' house and try to get him in the door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe we have a live trap...but my dad was saying we will probably catch everything except for him.

Idk If it is worth it to set it up during the day?

I went to the woods where we last saw him now during the day and i see and hear nothing. Is it common for them to just hunker down during the day and not move?

Also...do you think maybe i should make a box with some food and catnip and towels where he was hiding at?

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats have an amazing sense of smell. The strongest smelling thing to attract them is Asian fish sauce (Nam Pla) diluted with a little water and sprayed onto grass of bushes near your house.

You will attract every cat within a mile though, so this might not be a good idea if there are a lot of other cats around.

Cats do have a very good sense of direction, but they tend to navigate based on wherever they consider their home to be. If has been living somewhere else for the past six months he might not remember your parents house.

How far is your place from the place he went missing?
I'm thinking about giving this a try...it seems like the normal food isn't enticing him yet...

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Walking towards him and being pushy is only discouraging him, a SAFE no kill trap can work if there aren't many cats in the area.

Try using tuna as bait.

Anything is worth it at this point.

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So should i not try and go out and find him? It will push him away?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you know he's in the area, so it probably would be best not to go looking all the time. If you do see him, just call calmly or make kissy noises, but don't pursue him or get excited.

Put some of your dirty clothes out on the porch, and some of his dirty litter, if you haven't thrown it away yet. He should smell that and know that's where he should go. You can put a nice cozy box out too, to encourage him to stay.

Tuna is good for baiting a trap, or rotisserie chicken. You know what he likes best, use that. It's OK if you trap everybody else, just let them go.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not push him away, but as you've been seeing - he's very skittish and unsure and isn't feeling calm enough to stick around when you're approaching. Try sitting on the ground next time you see him, don't look directly at him (direct eye contact can feel aggressive to cats) and just talk gently to him. It may not work the first time but be patient.

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hm ok. I just called my vet with suggestions, and they actually suggested to try to call animal control and see what they think. The guy suggested putting his litterbox outside the house (apparently he can smell from like a mile away?) and then take away all wet food and leave wet food in the garage in a trap. Hopefully when he gets hungry enough he will come back?

I also got some fish sauce so I am going to try and sprinkle that all along the bushes too. ughhhhhh this kitty is making me go crazy!

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welp got my trap set up in our garage with some fancy feast and tuna. Put fish oil and water all over the yard. Litter box is out on the driveway and my used clothes are out on the front patio.

Planning on waking up every few hours in the middle of the night. I have a very big day at work tomorrow too...ugh this should be a blast!

So i guess when i see him, i should just sit down and wait with some food closeby and see if he eventually comes? Instead of trying to approach him?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep. That's it...sit down and wait. Talk GENTLY if you want to. Don't try to approach. He's a little freaked out (ok, a LOT) right now, and not recognizing you properly.

Do know that we've had cats come home safely and only a bit the worse for wear after weeks, and sometimes months.

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes that is the plan. I wasn't sure if i should put the trap in the garage or in the yard close to where he entered the culver. I decided to put it close to the culver by one of our garden "mounds". I was thinking to put it in the garage but im not sure he is going to make it all the way up there. I am hoping this will be easier for him to approach. I am also putting fish oil all round this trap to hopefully catch him, and yes bring him inside if he gets caught!

Plan on waking up every few hours to see the status. Let me know if you think of anything else that could help!

Thanks for all the advice btw

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Could I just suggest that you, or someone else in your family, actually take turns to sit out and listen for the trap door closing? You might attract another animal or your cat might freak out when the trap door closes. I do TNR and they can hurt themselves trying to get out of the trap. (Bloody noses and damaged claws, that kind of thing) You really want to be able to cover the trap with a blanket, bring him indoors and release him as soon as possible. It's dangerous to leave any animal in an uncovered trap.

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just walked around at 130 am around the whole neighborhood and I don't hear him at all. Im starting to feel negative and lose all hope and feel like the worst cat daddy! :(

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All i saw walking around was like 5 raccoons. No response to all my calls. Nobody has been in the trap. Oh lordy. 😭

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I trap, I desensitize the animals by propping the "gate" open and feeding inside, adjacent to, and on top of the trap. I try to do a couple of days if my schedule allows. Feeding at first light is usually optimal - the night creatures are hunkering down and cats are crepuscular (most active at the dusk of dawn/sunset). Patience & preparation are key to successful trapping. I use the sayings "it's a long hike for a short slide" and "not only does triumph take the will to win, it takes the will to prepare in order to win".

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got him!!!!!!

He was under my neighbors tarp hidden away. He is now hiding underneath a couch in my parents house.

Now the question is...do i keep him here for a while or do i try to get him to my apartment asap? Im just so happy i got him!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wonderful news!

Is the room he is in now safe? No way he can get out, no one likely to open the door?

If you think he is safe there I would give him time to decompress and relax. Leave his carrier and liter box there, along with anything else that smells of you/home. It will take him a while to realise that he's safe again.

When he's calmer, and you've caught up on your sleep, you can take him home.

So glad you got him! I hope he's had enough adventures for now.

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah hes just sitting underneath my parents couch...seems to be chill. I plan on taking him home after work today. that way he can just chill under the couch for a bit. I am going to bring his food close to the couch hes lying under. he did jump on me in the night and knead on me so he seems to be alright.

thanks for all the help! I think im done trying to make him an adventure cat after this fiasco!