Cat went into culvert and can't get him out

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there,

So I got my little guy because he was a stray at my parents house. I have had him for about 6 months now, and I decided to bring him back to my parents house for a visit. Well, he got very skittish I think from the new surroundings and the car ride, and I had him out on our fenced in patio and he JUMPED THRU THE MESH and bolted!

He ran into the culver at the end of my parents driveway. I heard him meow a few times down there, and I put some tuna at the end of the culver. I couldn't see him though, and he hasn't responded since.

Do you have tips on what to do to get him out? There's no way I can go in there and get him...so hopefully he will just make his way on out?

When I first got him to get microchipped, he did this exact same thing...he jumped out and went to the culver. So this is familiar territory.

When that happened, we left the garage door cracked and left food and he came back.

Do you guys think he will come back? Do you think I should just wait at the culver and hover, or just give him some space with all of this? I heard maybe getting his used litterbox and bringing it back and have it in the garage might be a good idea too??

Ugh, I don't know, it's just crazy he just got so spooked that he jumped THRU THE PATIO FENCE!!!

I thought I was going to be able to make him into an indoor/outdoor cat and take him around with me to places, but this exercise seems like maybe its not the best idea :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes...i left some tuna at the front of the culver to entice him out but I'm thinking to take that away once darkness hits. And bring it up to the garage for night time? Also get some of my used clothes so he can smell them?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try putting out the food you have been feeding him in the garage. It is what he is most recently familiar with.
And please don't make him an indoor/outdoor cat. There are too many animals, dogs, raccoons, and automobiles. Nothing good can happen to an outdoor cat. Except to be made an indoor only cat.

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I meant an outdoor cat in the sense i bring him along with me for adventures....not just letting him go on his own.

But yes i will get his food too

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could, --at first in the house, try him in a harness but I'm thinking this might not work since he seems to be so skittish and nervous. However, first at home, and then in really safe places outside to ensure you are comfortable with how he is, this could be an option for you :)

Harness And Leash Training For Cats

Last edited:

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So....i bought him a cat backpack and a harness and leash too. I actually had him on the harness and leash on the patio. But when he got skittish the leash got caught on thr chair and he was able to get out of everything then jump thru the patio fence.

My idea was to take him to my parents because it's a neighborhood and not a lot of traffic. So this was where i was going to try and make him accustomed to being outside. I thought i was doing everything right 😭😭😭

Now im missing my kitty!!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Be patient, he'll likely come out like he did last time :)
But when he got skittish the leash got caught on thr chair and he was able to get out of everything then jump thru the patio fence.
You'll want to try this inside the house first, more slowly and carefully. Read through the article - it has some good info :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wait for dark...this is the most likely time for him to come out again!

The best harness I've found for cats is a holster-type harness, something like this:

1586649433411.png

They are almost impossible for a cat to wiggle out of, and comfortable to wear, once they get used to it.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wait for dark...this is the most likely time for him to come out again!

The best harness I've found for cats is a holster-type harness, something like this:

View attachment 329682

They are almost impossible for a cat to wiggle out of, and comfortable to wear, once they get used to it.
sorry to interrupt but what brand do you know sells those? I can't ever find a shirt type one..Tried a lot to make one but it wasn't strong of course. Specters is like a half top

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If he doesn't come out on his own you may have to use a humane trap, the kind used for TNR, to get him. I suggest you position the trap as close to the entrance of the culvert as you can.

Don't leave the trap unattended. You need to stay close by and make sure nothing else gets trapped and that he is taken indoors as soon as he's caught.

I thought I was going to be able to make him into an indoor/outdoor cat and take him around with me to places
The kind of cats who can be taken on adventures the way a dog can are very few and far between. The majority of cats don't like change and feel very uncomfortable out of their familiar territory.

He may enjoy walks around his own neighbourhood, but putting him in a car, driving somewhere and then expecting him to go for walks isn't going to happen. You'll just terrify him.

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hang on, SpecterOhPossum SpecterOhPossum , let me google. I know that Chewy sells them, and Amazon. Petco. I googled "holster harness for cats" and got a TON of them! LOL, including one with a tiny back pack, for adventuring cats!
thank you !! I can never find them......I always hust find the little strappy ones and like.. baby carrier type ones !!!!

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah that looks better than what i had. It did go around his chest but he still squirmed out of it!!!

It's getting dark and cold out now i hope he comes back!

😭
Any news? If I were you I'd chug some coffee; prepare for an all nighter and watch from the window or door or porch for the night...to be safe

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he doesn't come out on his own you may have to use a humane trap, the kind used for TNR, to get him. I suggest you position the trap as close to the entrance of the culvert as you can.

Don't leave the trap unattended. You need to stay close by and make sure nothing else gets trapped and that he is taken indoors as soon as he's caught.

The kind of cats who can be taken on adventures the way a dog can are very few and far between. The majority of cats don't like change and feel very uncomfortable out of their familiar territory.

He may enjoy walks around his own neighbourhood, but putting him in a car, driving somewhere and then expecting him to go for walks isn't going to happen. You'll just terrify him.
He was skittish as soon as i brought him over so yeah im worried i traumatized him. 10 pm and still no sign of him!! Im hoping he comes back in the middle of the night 😭. I feel like such a bad cat daddy!

Popnfrsh24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any news? If I were you I'd chug some coffee; prepare for an all nighter and watch from the window or door or porch for the night...to be safe
We just left the garage door cracked with his litter box, my used clothes, some tuna and some food. He did this before when i first got him....and when we checked in the morning he was just lying on some towels in the garage.

I'm hoping he does the same....idk how worth it it is to be super vigilant and keep an eye on the culver.

Ughhh! Just Want mah kitty back!!