Cat vomits if he eats a single piece of different food?

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I work for a vet and I take my healthy boy Lucky in twice a year for the full work up just to be sure and he was recently in and everything was great. The problem is ... Morton is on a special food right now Purina Pro Plan EN Naturals for his IBD/pancreatitis. Lucky is OBSESSED. he smells it through the sealed glass jaw and I have to keep any of Morton's food up or Lucky will devour it (lucky is on a life long diet for obesity/food obsession) morton sometimes will fling food when he eats and a SINGLE piece of kibble will be left on the floor, Lucky will eat it then vomit it up with bile. He has vomited nearly every day because he sneaks food more than he used to. And I can't see every single piece of kibble that gets dropped from Morton. Is this weird? Maybe Lucky is severely intolerant to the food? He's never done that to any other food he's had so it's so weird.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's definitely odd. You may have to feed them in separate rooms, then THOROUGHLY sweep the room where Morton ate. I'd suggest a bathroom, simply because it is smaller to sweep. As for why it is happening, beats me. I wish I could tell you that, but a single piece of food shouldn't do that. An allergy is the only thing I can come up with. I'd mention it to the vet that you work for, though. S/he may have some ideas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladyrosee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's definitely odd. You may have to feed them in separate rooms, then THOROUGHLY sweep the room where Morton ate. I'd suggest a bathroom, simply because it is smaller to sweep. As for why it is happening, beats me. I wish I could tell you that, but a single piece of food shouldn't do that. An allergy is the only thing I can come up with. I'd mention it to the vet that you work for, though. S/he may have some ideas.
I have to feed him by my bedside. He eats mainly at night that's when he actually has an appetite so that's like 3 times through out the night I put his bowl from my night stand to the floor by me and he eats. Lucky has done this before I remember the greenie treats. He would eat ONE and he would vomit about 5 to 6 times after. It was awful. Now with this food. There are a few other foods that do it but I think they were wet food. I did mention it and all they said was "well we can try pred" not putting him on a steroid for that especially how food obsessed he actually is

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like Lucky has a very sensitive tummy. Maybe not over all, but to certain ingredients. If you can't feed them separately, or figure out how to contain those dropped kibbles...well. Let me think about this some more. Maybe a light bulb will come on over my head!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your one cat have IBD or pancreatitis? Or is it both? If your cat has IBD he needs to be switched to carrageenan free, ones like rawz, koha, hounds and gatos. Carrageenan can cause stomach inflammation which can lead to gi lymphoma.Cats who have IBD cant eat dry food so that's probably why the vomit, basically your cat has an extremely sensitive and painful stomach.