Cat Vomiting On Empty Stomach Before Breakfast?

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the last couple of weeks, Iris has vomited up foam three mornings. It's always within a couple hours before breakfast, usually right before. I'm assuming the foam is because there's nothing in her stomach to vomit up. But is there a reason why she might be doing this? She is eating, playing, and using the litter box normally otherwise. She is 6 months old.

Thanks!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kitties throw up when their stomach is empty. Sometimes my cat does the same thing.
Have you tried and leave some small biscuits out for her at night?
A 6 months old cat is still growing, she would need energy and should eat whenever she wants.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some kitties throw up when their stomach is empty. Sometimes my cat does the same thing.
Have you tried and leave some small biscuits out for her at night?
A 6 months old cat is still growing, she would need energy and should eat whenever she wants.
Hm, I'll see if I can find something more to leave out for her. I do leave out her regular food and there's usually a bit left in the bowl in the morning. But she tends to not want to eat that, because "it's old now." :rolleyes:

I've also been trying to cut back on my other cat's food intake. They have to eat in the same room since it's a studio apartment. So I'm trying to juggle giving the kitten more food and the adult less food. It's hard because the kitten is picky about what she'll eat, but the adult kitty will eat whatever is put in front of her. She often tries to finish off the kitten's food, unless I distract her.

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
5-6 hours at the most. She'll eat the food until maybe 2am or so, and I feed them at 5:30, 7am on days when I sleep in.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems a reasonable length of time to me. I know that a cat's stomach take 4 hours to empty, so it shouldn't be because of a long fasting.
However you could talk to your vet, a phone call should do for a starting, because a daily vomiting could impair her stomach and esophagus.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feline vomiting is not normal. Plus lack of appetite or pickiness can be a symptom, especially for kittens that are voracious eaters. Vomiting has a lot of causes. For kittens, the common causes may be parasites/worms, virus, bacteria infection, ate something they should not have, or GI obstruction. Less common may be allergy, GI upset, UT infection, or something else. Just google "cat vomiting" for tons of information. You can get clues for diagnosis by monitoring for symptoms and behaviors, look at her history, and her medical history.

fiorya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I'm going to try splitting her feedings from 2 into 3, with the third one being right before I go to bed, around 10 or 11. That way I know for sure that she eats past that time. If that doesn't resolve it, I'll take her to the vet next week.