Cat vomiting history of allergies

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I'm posting here again because there are very knowledgeable cat owners who've been able to help me here in the past.

So my cats have a long history of complex food allergies. They are allergic to almost everything and it's been about 4 years of this now. For the last 3 1/2 they've been on Royal Canin sensitivity v/r wet food formula. (One had crystals hence the wet). This diet had issues though. My cats are chronically constipated and sometimes (especially shedding season) they start to becoming intolerant to it.
For these reasons i tried a new food. Koha kangaroo formulation hoping and praying that it would be different enough. For weeks I tried the food in combination with small amounts of the VR. And felt pretty successful. At one point he was on the VR due to lockdown delays and was throwing up a lot. When I put him back on the combo with koha he seemed fine though.

As of last Saturday I tried putting my cats entirely on Koha but I suspect he may have thrown up a couple times. But today I noticed a lot of puke on the carpet with a hairball. Now it was midsized but I can definitely see the shape (like a perfect sphere) would cause him issues.

I hadn't seen this puke before I fed both cats because it was in the family room where I don't typically feed. So now I am questioning what I should do. Should I continue this food at this amount and see if it's the old food still in their system? Should I combine the foods again?

Otherwise does anyone have any other suggestions so far it seems like my cats are allergic to chicken,duck,fish, beef, rabbit turkey, and lamb?

Plan on emailing the vet and booking if this persists but he seemed out of ideas the last time i went to his office.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry no one has responded to your post yet! I don't have much to offer in terms of the specific foods to feed your cats, but wonder if the vomit is solely related to hairballs, since that is what you saw in it. That combined with your comment about constipation especially during shedding season (as in digesting a whole lot of hair), seems that this might be the case. If so, can you try giving them a dab of butter or margarine from your finger or their paw to lick off? To start off with, once a day for 2-3 days, and then back off to 2-3 times a week. The butter will help 'grease' the way for hairballs to pass and possibly prevent constipation. However, you do need to see if there is a lot of hair present in their poop, which might explain why it appears to look like it is constipation.

I would test the hairball theory out first before going down another route with food changes.

Hopefully, other members will come along soon and offer some ideas for you to try!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried this chart to find suitable foods? Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

Proteins aren't the only things cats can have reactions to. One TCS member's cat has multiple sensitivities to things in cat food, including things like green lipped mussel oil.

Has the vet ruled out gastrointestinal issues like IBD? Can you get a second opinion from another vet? Or ask the current vet to get a courtesy consult from a vet school or other vet hospital.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry no one has responded to your post yet! I don't have much to offer in terms of the specific foods to feed your cats, but wonder if the vomit is solely related to hairballs, since that is what you saw in it. That combined with your comment about constipation especially during shedding season (as in digesting a whole lot of hair), seems that this might be the case. If so, can you try giving them a dab of butter or margarine from your finger or their paw to lick off? To start off with, once a day for 2-3 days, and then back off to 2-3 times a week. The butter will help 'grease' the way for hairballs to pass and possibly prevent constipation. However, you do need to see if there is a lot of hair present in their poop, which might explain why it appears to look like it is constipation.

I would test the hairball theory out first before going down another route with food changes.

Hopefully, other members will come along soon and offer some ideas for you to try!
Hello thank you for the response. I've just given them the butter so hopefully it loosens them up a bit and I will let you know what happens. I'm hoping this is just a hairball so I'm keeping fingers crossed. If things deteriorate I'll probably have to try the old food and see if enough time has passed for him to be tolerant to it again. Thank you for your advice and I'll keep you posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried this chart to find suitable foods? Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

Proteins aren't the only things cats can have reactions to. One TCS member's cat has multiple sensitivities to things in cat food, including things like green lipped mussel oil.

Has the vet ruled out gastrointestinal issues like IBD? Can you get a second opinion from another vet? Or ask the current vet to get a courtesy consult from a vet school or other vet hospital.
Hi thanks for your response. My cat was tested for IBD last year but the blood test was negative. At that point my vet dubbed him to have "complicated" food allergies. Which is hard because it feels like there isn't much I can do. I'll definitely check out this chart though I'm hoping to turn this situation around!