Cat Urinating Outside of Box

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they did the T4 as I checked paperwork

Update is she peed once outside of box but we have puppy pads around it. Also I put water and dry food in our master and TWICE she ate in middle of night. I know this bc her crunching woke me up :)

Should hear about blood work today

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: high kidney enzymes so believed to be kidney infection. Wanted to give her fluids so I ran her up there and they gave her saline "under the skin". I go back Friday for another round. Hopefully with that and the antiobiotic it will clear it up. She is definitely more social today and eating.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update.  Hopefully this antibiotic will work but you might ask your vet to run a urine culture if it doesn't.  That way the actual bacterium responsible can be identified and an antibiotic prescribed that specifically targets it.  Sending good vibes your way! 

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update.  Hopefully this antibiotic will work but you might ask your vet to run a urine culture if it doesn't.  That way the actual bacterium responsible can be identified and an antibiotic prescribed that specifically targets it.  Sending good vibes your way! :vibes: :vibes:  :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
She is being very very picky in eating. Normally goes bonkers for peanut butter...today licked it for 3 seconds then not interested. Will not eat wet food(tried numerous brands), tuna in can, fresh chicken. Nothing. She was nibbling finally on Purina Cat Chow Monday and yesterday. But very minimal.

I don't know what else to do. We have bought so much different dry food I could feed 50 cats. She normally is a very picky eater. Dry food only. Any suggestions like eggs or something?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Does she hunch over in meatloaf position? Is she in pain? call the vet-maybe they can do another round of sub fluids-the sub fluids helps flush the bladder out. often it's needed every 24-48 hours in acute kidney infections. if you feel comfortable you can ask if they can send you home with a bag of saline and do it yourself IF it's going to be a recurring situation.

Often cat's appetite increases after subfluids as before fluids they are dehydrated and dehydrated kitties won't eat. So for now-call the vet-syringe some water into her mouth. about 10 to 20 ml at a time. Most cats need 150ml a day. Try tuna water=get a can of DARK tuna not white tuna=it's smellier. Put it in a jar with 16 ounces of water-shake and let it sit-then offer some in a dish-this sometimes helps get them drinking. The Convenia is very helpful for kidney infections as it does work against the e coli bacteria which is the common one for our cats getting kidney/bladder infections.

My vet explained it has two routes of entery-either hung out near her privates and rode up the uretha into the kidney OR it went to the kidneys via the colon.

My pumps got a bad kidney infection earlier this year. They sent me home with buprenorphine for pain and sub fluids were given every 48 hours. the pain meds and the convenia really make a big difference. kidney infections take 4 to 6 weeks to clear up. It's not unusual to have to repeat the antibiotics 3 times as convenia lasts 10 to 14 days.

They will want to take some urine and look under a microscope in 14 days after the shot of convenia. Then they can also send it out for culturing. Some vets do this. Some don't. Mine doesn't unless I ask them too. They normally just look under the microscope and if they see red and white blood cells then they make the call that it's an infection but I have been requesting culturing now.

Keep us posted.

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is scheduled for another round of fluids Friday morning. She is definitely drinking water. Just not eating her dry food(at least not that I have seen since yesterday) . She is pooping though as my BF sent me a pic this morning :) so she must be eating and I just didn't hear it. I have 3 food bowls scattered throughout house and water

I do have an appt for another blood test Monday then another urine test on dec 5th

Last edited:

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still peeing outside of box. Still in box with butt aiming up instead of down. Vet said try removing litter and just put the puppy pad in there. Going to give it a whirl

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well just puppy pads didn't work at all. Back to litter we go and pads around the box

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you Margd. We had some positive steps today. She's ate wet food this morning and again just now! Was looking out window with her brother at birds chattering away :) pic attached

Not urinataing as much today. Just once since 730 and it was inside the box. She's still peeing very close to edge which is baffling to me

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does she like canned food?  That would be really good for her and you could add some water to make it like thick oatmeal. 

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she like canned food?  That would be really good for her and you could add some water to make it like thick oatmeal. 
Normally no. She will not touch the stuff. This week she is eating some of it. Mostly licking the gravy. We have tried all different kinds, baby food, pate with warm water, everything.

Does anyone know if they make softer dry food for cats? I swear they did