Cat Unwell Please Help

Oscarcatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi please can you help? My beautiful little exotic short hair became sick last week on Wednesday while I was away. He got better but then on thursday was throwing up yellow foam. So the vet did a blood test and was largely okay but he's not eating on Friday he had x rays but nothing showed up.

He's still not eating or drinking so we took him to a different vet on Sunday and he has a temperature so he gave him a shot for that.

We've been feeding via syringe and he sometimes drinks water.

He's neasous as when we put food out he smells it but heaves a bit.

It's cost over £800 and not sure how much more we can go if the vets can't diagnose this.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi O Oscarcatcat , I presume that your cat is fully vaccinated. The symptoms you are describing are similar to panleukopenia, but I also think that a good vet should have told you.
Probably an ultrasound could tell you more than an x-ray.
Has your cat been tested for FIV and FeLV?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oscarcatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi O Oscarcatcat , I presume that your cat is fully vaccinated. The symptoms you are describing are similar to panleukopenia, but I also think that a good vet should have told you.
Probably an ultrasound could tell you more than an x-ray.
Has your cat been tested for FIV and FeLV?
Hi thanks we'll it was the vets suggestion we do an xray. It's cost over £800 so far.

The blood test he said probably not felv/div.
Cat isn't vaccinated as the breeder says she refuses to do it and he's only 7 months old.

We have pet insurance but they are saying they only pay out £500 per m9nth despite being coveted for up to £5000 which seems stupid to me. So upset.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Full vaccination should start at 10-12 weeks of age, then a first booster after 25 days and then every year.
A non vaccinated cat is seriously exposed to whatever deadly virus.
As I said before, that sounds like panleukopenia to me, even if I really hope not. Did the doctor give the cat any medicine? In this case over here vets give cats vetkelfizine.

Oscarcatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Full vaccination should start at 10-12 weeks of age, then a first booster after 25 days and then every year.
A non vaccinated cat is seriously exposed to whatever deadly virus.
As I said before, that sounds like panleukopenia to me, even if I really hope not. Did the doctor give the cat any medicine? In this case over here vets give cats vetkelfizine.
He has a cold and is sneezing which the second vet give him a shot of anti biotics for.

Also something as a painkiller and to reduce inflammation.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only one episode of vomit?
Any diarrhea or soft stools?
Is it a simple cold or could it be a infection due to a calicivirus or herpes virus?
Is your cat allowed outside? Can your cat get in contact with other cats?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely a steroid shot for inflammation. We had a cat with those symptoms too, two to three days after getting both those shots you mentioned he became better, so I pray your little one is too. We never did find out what it was.
That breeder should be turned in to the humane Society or whatever protection agency you have. To NOT vaccinate kittens, especially when there is a larger population of them together is absolutely asking for trouble. Distemper is a horrible disease and I really pray your little one is just sick, if it turns out to be that you really have to turn the breeder in, distemper takes a while to show up, and is really hard to get rid of. Gte some L-lysine after asking your vet and give it to her. She may have a 'kitty cold'. It wouldn't hurt. I get mine on Amazon as treats. Please keep us updated!

Oscarcatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Only one episode of vomit?
Any diarrhea or soft stools?
Is it a simple cold or could it be a infection due to a calicivirus or herpes virus?
Is your cat allowed outside? Can your cat get in contact with other cats?
Hi no stool for a few days that I have seen. He's an indoor only cat being an exotic.

He must have nausea but after force feeding him he's not been sick and we have done this for 2 days now.

Oscarcatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most likely a steroid shot for inflammation. We had a cat with those symptoms too, two to three days after getting both those shots you mentioned he became better, so I pray your little one is too. We never did find out what it was.
That breeder should be turned in to the humane Society or whatever protection agency you have. To NOT vaccinate kittens, especially when there is a larger population of them together is absolutely asking for trouble. Distemper is a horrible disease and I really pray your little one is just sick, if it turns out to be that you really have to turn the breeder in, distemper takes a while to show up, and is really hard to get rid of. Gte some L-lysine after asking your vet and give it to her. She may have a 'kitty cold'. It wouldn't hurt. I get mine on Amazon as treats. Please keep us updated!
The breeder seemed reputable, with birth certificates etc and a long list of semi celeb clients.

Said she had lost a kitten or two previously as they side too much on the vaccinations so refused to get them done any more.

She's gccf registered or similar.

We are so sad and Oscar is looking depressed:(

He wants to eat but when he smells the food he nearly vomits so leaves it but we need him to eat.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your vet could give your cat a pill or shots for keeping nausea at a bay. Namely the medicine is the Cerenia.
There are also meds to enhance the appetite, usually the Cyproheptadine.
Ask your vet if these two meds are advisable.

Oscarcatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ta
Your vet could give your cat a pill or shots for keeping nausea at a bay. Namely the medicine is the Cerenia.
Speaking to the vet to see what they can do.

Oscarcatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi been to the vets this morning as he was sick last night.

We've given him something to reduce the stomach acid but not anti nausea incase it's masking the problem.

He's now weighing 2.9 kg and was 3.15kg last week which they are concerned about.

Ultimately they said they don't think.its kidney related due to the blood results. He's over his cat flu now and temps normal.

They want to do surgery and go in for a look. They said basically if he's not better by tomorrow then it pretty much has to be done. But they can't guarantee there's anything there.

They just don't know what's causing his stomach acid and his nausea. And have said that exploratory surgery is the next logical step for diagnosis.

Oscarcatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Couldn't an ultrasound scan be less invasive and cheaper?
She said to just do it and investigate that way. He's just had a drink of water from a cup but is heaving when trying to intake food and it's before it gets to his stomach.

He has appetite but he puts his head down to eat it and then oulls back gagging.

Oscarcatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like he has troubles at swallowing?
Is everything alright in his mouth?
That's what I think too but the vet isn't so sure. Maybe it's acid reflux that's hurt his throat.

The vet had a brief look today but I booked him in for surgery tomorrow and asked them to due full diligence on his mouth/throat tomorrow before actually going in.

Could even be a furball in his throat?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Due to my recent experience, and because I tend to be pessimistic, I would think a mass in the back of his mouth, or in the neck or esophagus.
Sorry for being rude and of not much help, but I had too many issues with my cats and I can't always see the bright side of a story.

Oscarcatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Due to my recent experience, and because I tend to be pessimistic, I would think a mass in the back of his mouth, or in the neck or esophagus.
Sorry for being rude and of not much help, but I had too many issues with my cats and I can't always see the bright side of a story.
Quick update.
They operated today and found a stone like that of a fruit sizeable enough he couldn't pass it through and have extracted it.
Oscarcat is doing well and we pick him up tonight.

Oscarcatcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's eaten it and it was blocking his intestine!

I've asked the vet to keep it and show me when I pick him up shortly!!

I have no idea what it actually is or where it cane from as obviously we'd never free him a stone