Cat Tummy Pouch?

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

Just curious what this is. My parents cat also has it. She is a female and my little guy is a male. Both are fixed. My guy is just under a year. The other cat is 13 years old. I don't know what this is. My little guy is lean and it just looks like a pouch or sagging skin. I noticed some cats have it and some don't? Does anyone know what it is? What it's caused by? Do your cats have it? Sometimes it jiggles a little when he walks lol.
IMG_3451.JPG

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My previous cat, before I had adopted her, had two litters of kittens and I'd always assumed hers was leftover saggy skin from that. But then my male kitten got one around 6 months old and I started googling wondering what it was! Now I just call him jelly belly and he lets me jiggle it when I pet his tummy. :lol:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the Egyptian Mau, that pouch is used for balance when jumping. I'm sure that's not the only use though.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
In the Egyptian Mau, that pouch is used for balance when jumping. I'm sure that's not the only use though.
It also gives them more flexibility in their hindlegs, which amounts to a longer stride and higher speed.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It also gives them more flexibility in their hindlegs, which amounts to a longer stride and higher speed.
Thank you. I knew there was another reason, but it's so hot my brain is melting and it's hard to think straight.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever watched a cat gallop at full tilt? You'll notice they move like an accordion when they stretch out I think this flap of skin helps with this gallop.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Ever watched a cat gallop at full tilt? You'll notice they move like an accordion when they stretch out I think this flap of skin helps with this gallop.
Yeah, it gives them more flexibility to extend their hind legs out. Here's a video of cats running on a wheel where you can see how far they can extend their hind legs. The first cat who gets on is at more of a relaxed jog, a faster cat gets on at around 1:10.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yogakitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a reason some cats have it and some don't? I'm on Instagram and usually, and not surprisingly, follow cats. It seems like so many also don't have this pouch? Some of the more agile breeds, like the Abyssinians, especially don't seem to have this?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a reason some cats have it and some don't? I'm on Instagram and usually, and not surprisingly, follow cats. It seems like so many also don't have this pouch? Some of the more agile breeds, like the Abyssinians, especially don't seem to have this?
Most cats do have a primordial pouch, to some extent. It's not always visible because it doesn't always sag below the waistline. Without the primordial pouch, really just extra skin below the rib cage, cats would have the abdominal "tuck up" of the Cornish Rex.

banana queen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im glad all cats have this, I was wondering when I first noticed that my cats had them.

I refer to them as Flop Flaps and like to jiggle them.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I found a better video demonstrating the accordion action of the pouch. This is a cat running full speed slowed down

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I found a better video demonstrating the accordion action of the pouch. This is a cat running full speed slowed down

Yeah, that's a better video than I found. Our furbabies have the same stride as a cheetah!