cat trees and what company is the best ?

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
i would love to buy one for my girls but since i have never bought one before , i was hoping for some recommendations ?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How big are you thinking?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I your cats are large or rowdy, you may want to add to the tree's base and secure part of the base under a heavy piece of furniture like the sofa to be sure they won't tip it over. You can also, if you have wood walls or real wood molding (not just decorative stuff) use guy wires to secure it as you do the Christmas tree. Or, actually safer than wires, wedge the tree into a corner with heavy furniture surrounding it. The people who make cat trees believe that cats aren't nearly as rowdy as they are. There is a lot of power behind a cat swinging on the platforms and a lot of power when they kick off of something.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is just my personal opinion, but I pick cat trees based on the environment.

First, I decide where I want to place it, which is always by a window, of course, so I pick one that is higher than the base of the window so that he can look both up and down while perched.

Then I take into account the surrounding furniture/surfaces. Like, mine is located next to a windowsill and radiator (with a top cover on the radiator he likes to climb on). I picked one with platforms that conveniently act as steps to these other surfaces (my cat is older now, and can still jump, but I want to give him the option of using it like stairs as he ages).

Then I take into account the built-in features like scratching posts. This isn't as important, because my cat was declawed, but he does still rub on the scratching posts. I just don't have to worry about their durability at all.

(Side note: as for other features like hanging toys, etc., I have actually added my own to trees that didn't come with them. I stapled feathers on strings to the underside of the wooden platforms with some trees, before.)

Finally, I take into account the physical appearance, and how it goes with my furniture, for myself. Not hugely important but it's a consideration.

I just go on Amazon or Chewy and look for ones with many positive user reviews that match my criteria. I've never paid attention to brands, personally.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
i would love to buy one for my girls but since i have never bought one before , i was hoping for some recommendations ?
I like go pet club brand. My 72inch tower lasted 10 yrs. Very sturdy. I bought a smaller one just as good. I needed help from one other person to put together.

20200320_112425.jpg

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been ogling the ones on Etsy. I’ve never bought one either, but think I’d list toward ones that looked as if they were made of eco friendly material. They also have cool wall mounted hammocks (might save space) and steps leading up to them.

If you had part of real tree, you could integrate it into your house! See “Cat tree for Karl and Elmo” on YouTube.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I made the mistake of buying the smaller tree with 2 perches. My cat Maggie likes the top perch but if Peaches is on it there is a fight. Growling or hissing. Nothing physical. It's not used as much because the seats are smaller so be sure the perches are a good size

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I found my ideal cat tree though it's $116. The top and lower perch are 23x23inches. Just found out it's out of stock

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We bought an Tucker Murphy cat bed on Wayfair and found it too small.
Then we bought feandrea from Wayfair and enjoyed it so much we bought different ones for different areas of the home. Sturdy and come with the straps to secure them if needed.
They aren't full scratchers.

The thing about Feandrea is I don't find them very senior friendly. But senior ones many times need to be custom made. Or you can add stairs or stools around it. (I'll post a photo as an example)

We've bought one from Walmart that we've had for years, it's fully carpet covered. That's a favourite because they used their claws to climb it.

If you go in person, you can see the sturdiness. You may have to experiment with what your cats like.

Pictured: our tallest Feandrea cat bed, pet pen with affixed top to make it walkable and pet stairs. I can move the pet stairs to different areas and when our senior cat was alive we would put a stool in front of the tree too as a secondary pathway as it's important for cats to have different paths to not feel stressed. We did also take the cover off of the one level since the young boys hated it. Nobel used to sleep in there.

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Screenshot_20230430_201554_DuckDuckGo.jpg

This is by frisco.wish it was around years ago. I'm not sure my cats would use it enough to be worth $126 total
Top bed 23x23,cand be washed
Screenshot_20230430_201554_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Kat Luv

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I made the mistake of buying the smaller tree with 2 perches. My cat Maggie likes the top perch but if Peaches is on it there is a fight. Growling or hissing. Nothing physical. It's not used as much because the seats are smaller so be sure the perches are a good size
I laughed out loud at this- every cat wants that coveted top perch. I had two fosters (brother/sister) a few years back and had to buy a second tree for their room (same height as first) so they'd quit fighting and filling the room with large poufs of hair. 😂

As to brand- I've used the brand "New Cat Condos" for quite a while. They've held up well to the rowdy fosters I've had, as well as my full-time cats. I currently have 2 cats, 4 trees (different rooms).

Drusilla&Finn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t have a positive recommendation (I too and looking for the perfect cat tree) but I have advice on what not to buy based on experience lol for reference I have 2 littermate one year old cat boy and girl 8 pounds and 10 pounds. They are high energy and play like maniacs together! They are tough on cat trees bc they scale up them like monkeys and chase each up, down, and across the main tree multiple times a day. They have destroyed the internal tightening screws of the perches in 3 months! Like they are wobbly but cannot be tightened bc the screws are stripped. We have a frisco 72”, a frisco 52”, and a Heybly. I got the cats as kittens so we got cheaper trees to start and see how often they used them. They’ve destroyed them all lol! I expected the rope and carpet to wear out obviously but my cats have broken the actual structure! The cheaper cat tree “carpet” isn’t actually carpet it’s like this weird cheap cheap cheap fabric. It sheds and rips so easy. My cats have ripped giant holes in the hide house spots playing in between the fabric. It’s warm down to nothing on some parts in under 8 months! When the fabric doesn’t fall apart it has long curly thread/string and that’s all thats left. My boy is a chronic string swallower so we have to inspect and cut off any string everyday. It sucks!!

I have done some research and I think I will purchase an Amarakat tree.I have heard and seen great things. But again my cats are so rough with trees I’m weary. I would be the best durability reviewer lol

one cat tree alternative I recommend that has done AMAZING in our house for 8 months is the K&H brand EZ mount window attached cat beds. We have one with two tiers and the cats both sleep on it multiple times a day and also jump, attack, and play on it everyday. It has never fallen off the window. The directions do recommend cleaning and reapplying it to the window every like month and we do that every 2-3 months.They have bigger window attached cat tree styles and I will be purchasing one for our sliding glass door! They best part is the parts all fold up so you can still close the blinds.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Go pet club 72 inch
Took less than an hour to put together. I had someone help. I had the same one before that lasted 10 yrs. Something for my cat Maggie to enjoy when she coomes home tomorrow. She ate dental floss fri and stopped eating. Vet thought she she didnt eat enough floss to cause a problem so possibly a flare up. I took her back today because she still wasnt eating, only a few bites. He ran xray and saw something.
20230503_192449.jpg

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Very nice! I was considering that 1 but since my cats are adult now. Maggie is nineteen inches long from head to hind legs and Peaches only tolerates her now