Cat Tree Placement

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I just splurged and got my boys a huge cat tree but I am not sure where is the best place to put it. I have a large combo living room/dining room where I spend most of my time so it is going to go in there but the question is where

Option 1 is in a corner by my sofa
Pros
-It is close to the sofa which is where I spend most of my time (my boys love to be with me. they follow me from room to room and sleep with me).
-I will be able to see them when I sit on the sofa as it will be in front of me.
-Hope it will help keep them off my entertainment unit (what they seem to use now as their tree...)
Cons
-Not as great a view out the window or of the whole room/front door (the entertainment unit sorta blocks the view of the door)

Option 2 is in a corner by my dining room table.
Pros
-It is sorta near a window so the boys will have a view of the great outdoors (although I live in the city so I don't get a ton of birds etc.) Although right now they don't spend a ton of time looking out the window (despite being able to watch via the back of the sofa, a stool and the table) so maybe they are just not interested...
-Gives the boys a great view of the whole room (including the front door).
-They don't have a ton of stuff to play with in this area so I was thinking it might expand their territory (they already have run of the sofa and spend a lot of time on it with me)
Cons
-It is not as close to the sofa
-If they are on it I will have my back to them
-I don't spend as much time at the table

what do you guys think?

CaliCatCharlie

Living FeLV Pawwwsitive!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put Charlie’s big tree in the living room. It’s tucked in a corner buuut I can watch him when I am hanging, watching tv. And he knows he’s on display and tends to do cute/funny things to get my attention. I have a smaller one in front of the bedroom window. He bird/dog/bug watches there.

If your kitties don’t give a care about the window view, put it where you can most enjoy them with their new tree!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Try it in the living room and then try it in the dining room. Let the cats tell you which they prefer.
Try it in the living room and then try it in the dining room. Let the cats tell you which they prefer.
:yeah: That is what 1st popped into my mind. Make sure to post pictures wherever you decide.:camera:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My first thought was to answer "by the window". But since they already have the "back of the sofa, a stool and the table" and don't spend much time there, maybe they don't care about the view outside.
So I'd probably go with Option 1 so you could see them, and they'd be close to you. :petcat:

Or you could try susanm9006 susanm9006 's suggestion and try both spots and see which the cats prefer.

And, yes, please post a pic once everything is set up. :camera:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I just splurged and got my boys a huge cat tree but I am not sure where is the best place to put it. I have a large combo living room/dining room where I spend most of my time so it is going to go in there but the question is where

Option 1 is in a corner by my sofa
Pros
Warm March Day 2015 009.JPG

-It is close to the sofa which is where I spend most of my time (my boys love to be with me. they follow me from room to room and sleep with me).
-I will be able to see them when I sit on the sofa as it will be in front of me.
-Hope it will help keep them off my entertainment unit (what they seem to use now as their tree...)
Cons
-Not as great a view out the window or of the whole room/front door (the entertainment unit sorta blocks the view of the door)

Option 2 is in a corner by my dining room table.
Pros
-It is sorta near a window so the boys will have a view of the great outdoors (although I live in the city so I don't get a ton of birds etc.) Although right now they don't spend a ton of time looking out the window (despite being able to watch via the back of the sofa, a stool and the table) so maybe they are just not interested...
-Gives the boys a great view of the whole room (including the front door).
-They don't have a ton of stuff to play with in this area so I was thinking it might expand their territory (they already have run of the sofa and spend a lot of time on it with me)
Cons
-It is not as close to the sofa
-If they are on it I will have my back to them
-I don't spend as much time at the table

what do you guys think?
Yes, I agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 -- let them be your guides! We have two tall, multi-level activity centers in a row right by the French doors in the living room and they love relaxing "with a view".

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
P1000021 (1).JPG
On a cat tree they will have better view of the outdoors. So they might like looking out. My cat Maggie sleeps on the highest level, 72in. She loves to look out the window. Peaches not as much partly because Maggie kicks her off. Have you tried putting a Bird feeder outside? My cat tree is big but not heavy. It would be a pain in the ... to move but possible. So like someone said see what they like

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sadly I live in a condo with no balcony so no bird feeder....