Cat Treasures

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandparents gave me a stuffed cat when I was two. I still have it-it's crossed the Atlantic four times, and is practically threadbare where I've held it, but it's still held together and I wouldn't toss it for anything :cloud9:
Katie M Katie M - Thanks for sharing this; what a Heartwarming post.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandparents gave me a stuffed cat when I was two. I still have it-it's crossed the Atlantic four times, and is practically threadbare where I've held it, but it's still held together and I wouldn't toss it for anything :cloud9:
Wow, I can't believe all the trips that cat has been on, across the Atlantic. The threadbare parts are what makes it so special.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I can't believe all the trips that cat has been on, across the Atlantic. The threadbare parts are what makes it so special.
"The Skin Horse had lived longer in the nursery than any of the others. He was so old that his brown coat was bald in patches and showed the seams underneath...." [Margery Williams]

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of the cat art I collect on ebay.
20171129_144515-1 (1).jpg 20171129_144432.jpg 20171129_144625.jpg
These little artworks are called ACEOs for Art Cards Originals and Editions. They are a way of artists promoting their works. Each card must measure 2.5in by 3.5 inches to be an ACEO. I believe this concept originated on ebay. It is an affordable way for me to collect cat art. It is even possible to find frames to fit these dimensions now, like I have in the third photo.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents like to go to Car Boot Sales in their spare time and they picked this ceramic cats head out for me.

It's supposed to be a string and scissors holder. There is a hole in the mouth for the string to come out of and the green bow has a hole to put the scissors in. I think it looks better on the mail box though.
That was sweet of your parents to pick out the ceramic cats head for you. You people have the nicest relatives.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Does anybody still remember Carol (LaRussa)? She gave me the neatest cat pitcher and mugs (like a Laurel Burch knockoff, I guess) one year for my birthday. They are adorable. She also gave us a cat tree topper for our Christmas tree one year for Christmas. It's been gracing our living room Christmas tree ever since.

My sister gave me a figurine of a cat wearing glasses and reading a book one year for my birthday. She said she saw it and she just knew it was for me! Cats and books, what's not to love?

This isn't a knick-knack, but a picture. Many years ago, when Da Pumpkin-Boy died from leukemia, Rick saw a picture in town. The picture depicts an angel carrying a little orange kitty up over the trees during the night. The picture is titled, "Guardian Angels Never Sleep". When he gave it to me, I sat down and cried. So did he. Pumpkin was our orange baby and his death hit us hard; he died around 2:00 in the morning, but guardian angels never do sleep and we like to think that his angel helped him to the Bridge.

I have some other special cat things, but those come to mind first and have a special memory for me.

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I collect antique postcards and some of my favorites are of cats, often lovingly portrayed in the cards. These are from around 1905. Postcard mail became all the rage around 1911. Can you imagine the excitement of receiving a card from family or friend when there was no Skype? To see a photo of a city you maybe only heard about?

These are examples of 'real photo' postcards from around 1906 -
20180110_155739.jpg

20180110_160006.jpg

20180110_160207.jpg

20180110_160052.jpg

I hope to show you artistic cat postcards in the future. Postcard collecting is very addicting and I have way too many, but I do treasure them.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The oldest cat video was made by Edison in 1894, of cats "boxing". And I think Victorians used to pose their cats in human ways for photos.
Katie M Katie M , I did not know that and I will definitely be looking into more about this! Thank You! I have a special interest in how cats are portrayed in arts, postcards and literature, especially around 1900. Thank you!

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Brian's ashes in a pouch kept in a beautiful ornate marquetry box that my brother gave me for my 16th birthday. I treasure them and talk to them sometimes. The box is on a high shelf and is not enshrined in any way, it's just with me.

When I moved from England to Scotland last year I flew up and brought Brian's ashes with me in my hand luggage. I was a wee bit unnerved by the thought that I might get pulled up for having a pouch of white powder in my bag but I couldn't bear the thought of him getting lost in transit.

I have loads of actual cat ornaments and nicknacks too, of course.

:angel3:

Edit: I have a feeling I've mentioned this before. I just hope it's not on this thread! :doh2:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Chinese lucky cat keyring that I got at the Lunar New Year celebrations here in London last month and still have lots of my old cat stuffed toys I played with as a child. I'd love to own more cat items!