Cat Training and Aggression

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got a 6-year-old DSH Tabby cat who I adopted back in June. He is my first cat, so everything kind of worries me. He was a frequent biter but that has now lessened. Now I'm concerned about his meowing and inability to listen to me. When I first got him, he would meow in the middle of the night and an article I had read said to ignore him which I did. But lately it has intensified so much that I can ignore it since it wakes me up and my family -- especially since I have school. So I get annoyed and frustrated. He also jumps on the dining table (two days ago he ate fish from there and my mother had to chase into my room) and wanders into the kitchen. I told him not to do that in the form of an "nuh-uh" since I read that's more effective than a simple "no". He would do it but when I'm not looking he would climb/wander again. I'm especially worried since I leave my door open so he can wander when I'm out.

Also, i noticed that he meows most of the time when he wants food even though I've just fed him. He does that so much that it's getting so annoying because I can't concentrate on my homework or sleep properly. I've been trying to train him to sit before I give him food and reward when he's silent but he always hears the treat bag.

And I'm not sure if he's jealous or territorial but he hisses at my dog now whenever my dog enters my room which scares my dog to bark and they get into this screaming argument until I break it. It's not like they don't get along - they do cause they're able to be super close to each other like sniffing each other's face. My cat is skittish so when my dog barks he jumps but doesn't shy away like before.

Sorry for the word vomit.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming he has been neutered since he is 6 and you adopted him, if not, that could be the constant meowing issues!  He sure sounds like a tom that has not been neutered, calling out seeking a lady friend!

Have you noticed any decrease in his hearing?  I read that you put he always hears the treat bag....so I'm guessing his hearing is great...but my cat started this behavior when he began losing his hearing around age 10.  Excessive meowing, trying to get our attention constantly, same sort of behavior. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's definitely neutered. And I don't think it's his hearing since he hears me when I come home (he's upstairs, I'm downstairs) and meows excessively. I'm beginning to get complaints because he does it at night and I have no idea how to stop him or at least prevent him from doing it excessively. Last night he attacked my dog with his paws, claws out and all. I immediately picked up my dog to prevent a brawl. So I need help with that too. 

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
You said June.....I meant to add---how long has he been acting this way?  Has there been a change in your household that has upset his routine?  Has the dog always been in the household since he arrived?

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

You said June.....I meant to add---how long has he been acting this way?  Has there been a change in your household that has upset his routine?  Has the dog always been in the household since he arrived?
My cat has been skittish and aggressive since I got him. There hasn't really been a change except that my sister moved out, would that count? And my dog was here first. It's come to the point that my dog is starting to fight back which results to my cat running away and my dog chasing after it for like a minute or two.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you been playing with him such as using a cat wand or anything? He may just be meowing because he's bored and cats need physical and mental stimulation. My girl is noisy too but once I get her playing she settles down. So, that's what your cat may need.. more playtime..

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I have. His favorite toy are the cat wands so I've got loads of those to play with him. I normally play with him a bit before I leave for school/work, when I return, and just before I go to bed. Although sometimes when I don't have time, I just give him a catnip toy to chase around.