Cat Tipping Food and Water Dishes

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. About 3 months ago we got Yeti, former mouser turned VERY spoiled indoor cat. Everything is going amazing for the most part. He gets along relatively well with our resident cat, if not best friends yet.

The issue is, about a month ago he started knocking the food and water dishes over. I purchased Neater Feeders, supposedly spill proof. Well this menace to society figured out a way to knock these over too. It's getting costly because the dry food gets soaked and needs to be tossed.

Any suggestions to get this behavior to stop? Picture for cat tax.

Attachments

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We keep the food and water in different rooms. This would stop your food from getting soaked.

Our cat's water is in a fountain. It is low and wide and almost impossible to flip.

We feed wet food on a wide flat plate that has a wide base, impossible to flip. We also pick up the wet food once the cats have been fed, leaving little opportunity for them to flip the plate ( even if they could).

Your cat tipper seems very pleased with himself.....lovely cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We keep the food and water in different rooms. This would stop your food from getting soaked.

Our cat's water is in a fountain. It is low and wide and almost impossible to flip.

We feed wet food on a wide flat plate that has a wide base, impossible to flip. We also pick up the wet food once the cats have been fed, leaving little opportunity for them to flip the plate ( even if they could).

Your cat tipper seems very pleased with himself.....lovely cat.
He is quite pleased with himself, lol. We have pretty limited areas to keep food but maybe I will make one dish just dry food and one water. Ordered a fountain today, thanks for that tip (pun intended haha). We do feed wet food on small glass plates but he does not tip those. Just the ones with dry food and water.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is quite pleased with himself, lol. We have pretty limited areas to keep food but maybe I will make one dish just dry food and one water. Ordered a fountain today, thanks for that tip (pun intended haha). We do feed wet food on small glass plates but he does not tip those. Just the ones with dry food and water.
If it's not too late....do some research on the fountain, read reviews. The stainless steel or ceramic ones are easier to keep clean. Also look at filter replacement availability and costs. We use the pioneer rain drop stainless steel fountain. Reliable, easily to clean but pricey and filters are too expensive.

You can easily find a cat fountain for sale by an owner of a cat that refuses to use it. Just thoroughly clean the fountain and change the filter before letting your cats use it.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could put the water dish in the shower. A little annoying to take out everytime but easy clean up. Just checking to make sure he has something to drink.

He might outgrow or get bored with it when there is no reaction from you.

For dry food I use an oval baking dish 1" tall and about 8" wide. The shape makes it awkward to tip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could put the water dish in the shower. A little annoying to take out everytime but easy clean up. Just checking to make sure he has something to drink.

He might outgrow or get bored with it when there is no reaction from you.

For dry food I use an oval baking dish 1" tall and about 8" wide. The shape makes it awkward to tip.
I don't think my older cat would do well with moving food dishes. And if we just move Yeti's, Kitkat's will still be out and therefore tipped, lol.

I'm going to try separating the food and water and also getting a fountain. If the fountain works, I'll stop putting water in the feeders altogether. Yeti is around 2 years old but has the energy and sassiness of a kitten. Mostly cracks me up and entertains all of us besides this one thing!