Cat Throwing Up White Foam

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!
So our cat Lucky was diagnosed with vestibular disease going on 2 weeks now she had another episode the day she went off the meds but once given the meds was fine. She has been making great strides walking with her head almost upright, jumping up on the couch & chasing after her brother but this morning I noticed that her head was very tilted & when I went to give her food she sniffed it then walked away. Shortly after that she threw up what was white foam & then went & laid in her bed. She normally wants to go out in the yard where we sit & supervise. She is on Meclizine & we give it to her at 5 every night so the meds should still be in her system. I’m just concerned because it’s been 2 weeks at this point she should be getting better. Our vet keeps saying the vertigo needs to run it’s course but 2 weeks!?!? I’m just getting super frustrated because I think it may be something else & I don’t feel like I’m being heard. Should I be concerned she is throwing up foam? And what could the cause be? I’m going to call the vet again today & demand more tests be done.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the article says that vestibular disease may cause vomiting , drooling as the cat is nauseated by the head tilting. It says that some cats can recover in two weeks, but the wobbly and head tilt may stay for life as a residual effect. I would call the vet again and hopefully there may be other medications or tests that can be done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
the article says that vestibular disease may cause vomiting , drooling as the cat is nauseated by the head tilting. It says that some cats can recover in two weeks, but the wobbly and head tilt may stay for life as a residual effect. I would call the vet again and hopefully there may be other medications or tests that can be done.
Yea I’m going to call again I would feel better just knowing we ran all the tests that can rule anything else out like ear infections, ear polyps etc. We gave her another Meclizine but she still has yet to leave her bed. Something inside me is just telling me that something is causing this like an ear infection or something.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!
So our cat Lucky was diagnosed with vestibular disease going on 2 weeks now ... but this morning I noticed that her head was very tilted & when I went to give her food she sniffed it then walked away. Shortly after that she threw up what was white foam & then went & laid in her bed. She normally wants to go out in the yard where we sit & supervise. She is on Meclizine & we give it to her at 5 every night so the meds should still be in her system. I’m just concerned because it’s been 2 weeks at this point she should be getting better. Our vet keeps saying the vertigo needs to run it’s course but 2 weeks!?!? I’m just getting super frustrated because I think it may be something else & I don’t feel like I’m being heard. Should I be concerned she is throwing up foam? And what could the cause be? I’m going to call the vet again today & demand more tests be done.
I am not a vet, but as far as I know, meclizine is supposed to help with the nausea that can happen from vertigo.

Some signs of nausea can be approaching food, sniffing it, but walking away without eating -- also, in my experience with my last kitty, vomiting white foam can indicate nausea on an empty stomach.

So, maybe the meclizine is possibly not controlling your Lucky's nausea?

Maybe you can let the vet know, and possibly come up with some other options for controlling Lucky's nausea?

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet, but as far as I know, meclizine is supposed to help with the nausea that can happen from vertigo.

Some signs of nausea can be approaching food, sniffing it, but walking away without eating -- also, in my experience with my last kitty, vomiting white foam can indicate nausea on an empty stomach.

So, maybe the meclizine is possibly not controlling your Lucky's nausea?

Maybe you can let the vet know, and possibly come up with some other options for controlling Lucky's nausea?
That’s exactly what she is doing. We are going back on the anti nausea meds it’s starts with an O. We just got back from the vet & both eardrums are cloudy so we are starting her on 2 different meds to treat it but she needs to eat first which she wouldn’t when we got home. We are waiting for her to settle down a bit then we are going to give her the anti nausea meds. The vet said hopefully this clears it up if not then we are going to do X Rays to make sure the fluid isn’t deeper cos that will require surgery to drain it out of the bone. I wish this was investigated earlier & im so happy I went with my gut to make an appointment at least now we have some insight as to what brought on this vertigo & I’m not just being told it will run it’s course. Fingers crossed this does the trick & Lucky will be back to her old self soon! Thank you for listening to me & making me feel not so alone.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:crossfingers: fingers crossed! :crossfingers:

My current cat always eats like a horse when she gets home from visiting any vet, it's weird! She struts around the house like she has conquered the world, then badgers me for food, lol.

I really hope your kitty will eat soon, and that whatever is going on with her ears and her vertigo IMPROVES.
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: :grouphug:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I mentioned on one of your other posts, my Mom suffers from vertigo at times. She's had an episode that lasted two months where she could barely move for two weeks and it slowly got better with bad moments. It's one of those two steps forward and one step back when recovering. Some medications can help but at least in humans with my Mom's variation there isn't much other option but rest and some medications to help manage it until the episode passes.

I had a rabbit who got really sick too. She had a bunch of stuff happen one after the other with the final being an ear infection. She ended up with a permanent head tilt from everything. She was bumping into things for a few weeks as she adjusted but once she did she got around pretty well. Obviously, rabbits eyes are on the side so it's a harder adjustment so I'd assume a cat would adjust quicker should it happen.

The biggest thing right now is manage her symptoms and take steps to make sure it doesn't get worse.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:crossfingers: fingers crossed! :crossfingers:

My current cat always eats like a horse when she gets home from visiting any vet, it's weird! She struts around the house like she has conquered the world, then badgers me for food, lol.

I really hope your kitty will eat soon, and that whatever is going on with her ears and her vertigo IMPROVES.
:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: :grouphug:
Thank you! I’m going to try out a few of those suggestions & see if any work. I’ve tried the wet food thing which was working but I’m thinking she is dizzy so that’s why she is still nausea & won’t eat. It’s her first day not eating in a very long time. Usually goes right to the food dish when we have vet visits but it’s usually when it’s just for routine shots & stuff. Fingers crossed this course of meds work & she is on the road to recovery!

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mentioned on one of your other posts, my Mom suffers from vertigo at times. She's had an episode that lasted two months where she could barely move for two weeks and it slowly got better with bad moments. It's one of those two steps forward and one step back when recovering. Some medications can help but at least in humans with my Mom's variation there isn't much other option but rest and some medications to help manage it until the episode passes.

I had a rabbit who got really sick too. She had a bunch of stuff happen one after the other with the final being an ear infection. She ended up with a permanent head tilt from everything. She was bumping into things for a few weeks as she adjusted but once she did she got around pretty well. Obviously, rabbits eyes are on the side so it's a harder adjustment so I'd assume a cat would adjust quicker should it happen.

The biggest thing right now is manage her symptoms and take steps to make sure it doesn't get worse.
Hi! Yes I remember your comment. I just got so scared when I saw her vomit the white foam this morning. At least we have a reason why she might be suffering from the vertigo all the things I’ve read online & the vet say this is probably the cause of the vertigo. Now it’s just getting her to eat to start treating this.

I never want to get vertigo nor do I wish it on anyone it sounds terrible! My mom also had it but it was mild it went on for at least a month & then just went away she took some meds to relieve symptoms but they never figured out what caused it.

I hope she doesn’t have a permanent head tilt but I know she will adjust to it if so this cat is such a little fighter & is so determined to do the things she use to even sick.

LuckyGirl82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well Lucky finally ate about 3 times over the last few hours. She kept sniffing it for a while so we decided To give her the anti nausea meds which she just spit out & right after that she ate. Now we are just waiting a bit to give her the amoxicillin. My hubby feels so bad poking at her all the time & so do I.

I think her ear is really bugging her too since she keeps tilting the head & shaking it. Her balance has also declined quite a bit too which sucks cos just yesterday she was running around. She still wants to be outside even through all of this so we sit outside with her so it lifts her spirits. It just sucks watching this it breaks my heart. I cry everyday & just pray she will get better. Ugh.... well hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Please say prayers for Lucky everyone I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!!