Cat throwing up,what do I do?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a ton of good information, thank you. We haven't taken him to the Vet yet but are doing a few things to try and isolate the problem. We're changing their feeding bowls to the kind that force a cat to slow down thinking maybe he's just eating too fast. It doesn't seem real likely to me but worth a try. We're also looking into our house plants and have found 2 that could cause the problem. A pothos and a dumb cane. We're not seeing any recent evidence of them chewing on them but they have in the past and even one little nibble could do it. Fingers crossed. 🤞
Also if they have munched on any leaves that have dried and fallen off.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S silent meowlook has given excellent advice - that post summed up the matter concisely! That post would make an excellent hand-out sheet. Also,
I am pleased to read that yekrats yekrats is wisely considering the houseplants - dumbcane (aka mother-in-law tongue) is considered very powerful by some traditional healers and must never be accessible to small children because of its toxicity having lasting internal effects. For my inside kitties, I keep a planter in which I add carrot top-ends plus lettuce and celery bottom-ends which will resume growing into an inexpensive "cat grass" garden.
How is the "patient" doing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yekrats

What a Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful World
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahhh, the patient. Boy, don't call him that. He already thinks hes the most important thing in the universe. Anyway, He's doing pretty good. He had a great day on Friday, a little less so yesterday and seems perfectly fine today. Which means hes miffed that Patches (that other kitty... 😾) is sitting in my lap and he's not. Back to his old self. 🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yekrats

What a Wonderful, Wonderful, Wonderful World
Adult Cat
Purraise
OMG, this is beyond funny. We gave them their new feeding bowls last nite, the kind that force them to slow down and their reactions are hysterical. Last night they came and got me doing their best "Hey, I'm starving to death here." food dance so I thought Oh, mommy hasn't fed you yet. Went to put some food in their bowls and I noticed that Mommy had put the new food bowls down and there was plenty. So, too bad, so sad kitties. No more food for you. You've got plenty. Well, Patches just kind of looked confused and Tubbs, God bless his poor under fed soul sat there, gave me a 1/2 dirty look, popped down on the carpet and kind of said, "Well, s***." Pretty much the same deal this morning. 🤣 I can't stop laughing.
Here's a report on the new food bowls. With slow feed bowls, (I don't think it matters what kind you get, they all basically work the same.) the food drops down in between the raised up design of the bottom and the cats have to reach in with their paw to get to the food. Slows them down dramatically but they still get plenty too eat.
Anyhoo, here's to hoping this stops Tubbs from throwing up from eating too fast.🤞 Wish us luck! 🙂