Cat Throwing Up Dry Food

sandraxxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is about 7 months old. I got him when he was about a month old from my husband's cousin. I believe he was an outdoor cat, maybe feral; I am not sure.

Anyway I know that I should have gotten his shots, but I have not taken him to a vet yet due to a bit of a financial situation.

He has had a healthy appetite, eating both canned and dry food. He always has fresh water. He has been strictly indoors since I got him.

About a week and a half ago he started throwing up after he ate. He would throw up his food and then just liquid.
I thought it was just a one time thing, but then it happened each time he ate. I took his food away for a bit, just giving him water and he would throw that up.

He also was constipated for a few days so I thought maybe he had a hairball or an obstruction ( I also thought that was why he was throwing up - possible obstruction) , or from him not being able to keep food down -(obviously in order to have a bowel movement you need to eat).

I got him some hairball medicine and started mixing it with his wet food. He finally seems like he's almost back to normal, no longer constipated and is able to eat canned food without throwing up.

But the remaining issue is that every time I feed him dry food, he throws it up within about 5 minutes, so I've only been giving him wet food. I do notice that he eats the dry food fast so maybe that is why. I just wonder if it's possible that he could still have an obstruction and the wet food is able to pass somehow and the dry food isn't. But I don't think he'd be able to poop if he had one, though I could be wrong.

I will be taking him to a vet clinic to get his shots this weekend and possibly to see if they can find out what is wrong.
He seems okay, still wants to run around and play. He seems normal other than the dry food issue.

Just wanted to see if I could get an opinion.

Thank you so much.

p.s. I understand that none of us are vets. I am just curious to know if anyone here has faced something similar with their cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I haven't personally been faced with this situation, but have read similar issues from other members. So, there will likely be more responses coming up over the course of the day!

If you think he is eating the dry food too fast, you can put a golf ball (or similar sized ball) in the bowl and make him eat around it to see if that might slow him down some. There are also food bowls made specifically for helping to slow down a cat who eats too fast.

The hairball medicine is likely helping to lubricate his digestive system helping with the constipation as well. If he truly had an actual obstruction, it is unlikely he would be eating anything without throwing up, and probably would appear sick. And, though, not all the time, his poop would likely be diarrhea.

Is he still showing signs of constipation?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats will throw up dry food if they eat too fast or eat too much, so I am very careful to not feed them more than a scant quarter cupful of dry food. There are also mites in the food that your cats may be allergic to. If you can, put the food in the freezer for a couple of days to kill the mites. Also, change to another brand. Mingo seems to be intolerant of heavily seasoned food. He will throw up just one or two Temptations. Or, push come to shove, feed him only wet.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was it a new bag of food? Sometimes there are variations in the batches and he might be allergic to something in this batch.

Does it smell OK? Dry food does go rancid sometimes.

It's good he's going to the vet! Be sure to talk to them about neutering, too, because he's at the age you really don't want to wait much longer. If finances are still a concern, ask the vet if they know of any low-cost programs in the area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandraxxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your help. Been busy most of the day. I will reply in more detail a bit later. I truly appreciate the assistance. Thank you all so much.

nado

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 12 yr. old brother and sister that I adopted when they were about 10yrs. old. They would vomit at least once a day. The previous owner said they had vomited frequently when he had them, and had taken them to the vet, who found nothing wrong with them. The vet suggested a sensitive stomach dry food. The owner was unable to do this, as he couldn't afford the food.

When I adopted the cats, I tried the vet recommended food, along with a few other sensitive stomach foods. While some food decreased the frequency of vomiting a bit, nothing was very effective in stopping the vomiting.

It wasn't until I fed them only wet food that the vomiting stopped. I don't think their stomachs can handle any type of dry food.

They will vomit once in awhile, but this seems to happen only when I'm late in feeding them, and they are overly hungry and eat too fast.

One suggestion I read regarding cats vomiting dry food is to put it in a food processor and chop it into smaller bits. I never tried this, so I can't tell you if it is effective.