Cat Teeth Health

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think my other cat Marla might possibly have gingivitis but just on the front top gum. Should I try to still clean her teeth or just wait until I take her to the vet clinic? I'm pretty sure it's my fault for her having that because I have poor teeth brushing habits.

stayhomeclub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Typically do people brush their cat's teeth? I never have because my cat would scratch me to shreds so don't feel bad about that.
Talk to your vet about some of the options. There are foods formulated to help "brush" a cat's teeth. There are also liquids which can be added to their drinking water.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Actually more people are becoming aware of feline dental health and use different techniques to manage their cat's teeth. There are two good Articles that discuss this subject and may be helpful for you:
What Tcs Members Use: Cat Dental Health Care
Gingivitis And Stomatitis In Cats

I hope you are able to take your cat, Maria, to the vet for a thorough evaluation and dental cleaning. Best of luck, please keep us posted. :goodluck:

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline dental health is SO important. It isn't just about what the teeth look like or the gums but there could be issues UNDER the gums at the root of the teeth too. So I would definitely schedule your cat in for a cleaning. They aren't cheap (bloodwork needs to be checked first before anesthesia) but it will be more efficient to spend a few hundred every couple years to maintain them, then it would be to never have a dental until the cat is old, the teeth are rotten and infected, there are abscesses and half the teeth need removed. I have seen dental bills well over $1500 because owners put it off until the pet can no longer eat they are in such bad shape.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of good info here on dental care for pets: Information for Owners | AVDC - American Veterinary Dental College

I'd start brushing the cat's teeth on a regular basis. A few times a week is better than nothing. The next time you go to the vet, you can ask the vet to check the teeth but be aware that many regular vets don't really know much about dental health issues. You may need to seek out a veterinary dentist.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually more people are becoming aware of feline dental health and use different techniques to manage their cat's teeth. There are two good Articles that discuss this subject and may be helpful for you:
What Tcs Members Use: Cat Dental Health Care
Gingivitis And Stomatitis In Cats

I hope you are able to take your cat, Maria, to the vet for a thorough evaluation and dental cleaning. Best of luck, please keep us posted. :goodluck:
I Definitely will keep you all posted on Marla's progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Furbabycatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Typically do people brush their cat's teeth? I never have because my cat would scratch me to shreds so don't feel bad about that.
Talk to your vet about some of the options. There are foods formulated to help "brush" a cat's teeth. There are also liquids which can be added to their drinking water.
Thanks for the advice but I already know.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you think her gums are sore, put a little toothpaste onto a damp cotton bud and gently wipe her teeth with it. That is better than doing nothing but a visit to the vet would be better in case there is something else going on.