Cat Suddenly Refusing To Use Litter Box, Again.

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We moved last week and we are so proud of our cat. He has done so well, he adapted instantly. Louging comfortably, seemed super content; purring and snuggly, ate and used a litter box straight away, and has been for days.

Well, last night he’s decided to stop using his litter box and adamantly demanding to go outside now to go poop (he peed fine in it in the afternoon yesterday).

He used to be outdoor/indoor cat at the old place, refused to use the litter box there, always wanted to do his business outside.

Why would he suddenly switch to his old habits and refuse to use the litter, that hes has been using the whole time we’ve been ar our new place without any fuss whatsoever?

The only thing that has changed maybe, is that we’ve given him access to viewing out our bedroom window, which looks out the front of the house, before he was only able to view out the back? I was also holding the door open for 1 minute for my spouse, as he carried a box into the house. I had the cat in my arms and he was able to look outside the front and sniff the air?

We are trying to remain more stubborn than him, but it’s clear he needs to use that litter, and he won’t. He’s been holding since last night. Do I just carry on and hope he will finally use it??

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear your move was successful for both you and your kitty. :thumbsup:
How many litter boxes do you have in your new home? The rule of thumb is one per cat plus one for the house, e.g. if you have one cat it's best to have two litterboxes. This may or may not help solve the problem of him wanting to go out to poop but worth a try. :crossfingers:

Here is a very helpful Article with links about litter box issues:
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am guessing that he was both intimidated and intrigued by his new home, and more interested in acclimating himself to it than he was concerned about getting back outdoors. And, yes it is possible that when he was able to look out the door when you had it open, the smells - probably more than the sight - caused him to become more interested in outdoor than indoors.

If you would by chance have a screened in patio, you could add another litter box out there and see if being in a space that is more affiliated with the outdoors would help any. Additional litter boxes is definitely in order as well, as neely neely said.

And, if you have a place to set up for him to look outdoors in the back of the house again, you might try that in case there is an issue with him looking out the front.

Don't totally abandon the idea that he might have a urinary tract infection, or is otherwise ill - however coincidental you feel that might be.

If you don't want to let him outside, don't give in to him. He will pee/poop eventually - but, without additional litter boxes set up, it might not be where you want him to!

Please keep us posted. I am hoping to hear that he pees/poops very, very soon!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am guessing that he was both intimidated and intrigued by his new home, and more interested in acclimating himself to it than he was concerned about getting back outdoors. And, yes it is possible that when he was able to look out the door when you had it open, the smells - probably more than the sight - caused him to become more interested in outdoor than indoors.

If you would by chance have a screened in patio, you could add another litter box out there and see if being in a space that is more affiliated with the outdoors would help any. Additional litter boxes is definitely in order as well, as neely neely said.

And, if you have a place to set up for him to look outdoors in the back of the house again, you might try that in case there is an issue with him looking out the front.

Don't totally abandon the idea that he might have a urinary tract infection, or is otherwise ill - however coincidental you feel that might be.

If you don't want to let him outside, don't give in to him. He will pee/poop eventually - but, without additional litter boxes set up, it might not be where you want him to!

A little bit of treats around the litter box got him to poop.

I think it was the smells of the outdoors. He really wants outside a lot suddenly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

We might just build a Catio or I’ll take him out on a leash. We were hoping we could just make him stay indoors.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We might just build a Catio or I’ll take him out on a leash. We were hoping we could just make him stay indoors.
A catio, connected to a window or door, is an excellent idea! The best of both worlds - a cat that is indoors but can go out in a safe, confined area. Feeby has never been even a part-time outdoors cat, but she sure loves her screened in patio!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A catio, connected to a window or door, is an excellent idea! The best of both worlds - a cat that is indoors but can go out in a safe, confined area. Feeby has never been even a part-time outdoors cat, but she sure loves her screened in patio!
I heartily second what FeebysOwner FeebysOwner says! I think a screened in area is perfect for safety and (I suspect) the cat's comfort. We screened in the area under our deck and the cats love it! They "hunt" chipmunks and birds and can relax there on chairs, too. It really is ideal for them and us since they enjoy it so much and we don't worry about the hazards of cars, other cats, and predator animals like foxes and even, allegedly, coyotes.

If you have an under the deck possibility, I can look up my old thread about our veranda, which has photos and, I think, notes about materials.