Cat Suddenly Petrified Of Something And Very Paranoid

nikhaart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
6FEA6C35-357F-4D2D-B09A-93C6B357900E.jpeg
I shifted my cat into my parents house about 3 weeks ago, and she has been enjoying quite a bit. Today, out of the blue, when she was on another floor of the house, she ran upstairs, started hiding and looking out of the door at something. She has puked and I tried carrying her around the whole house to determine the cause of this but I haven’t been able to put my finger on anything in particular. She’s stopped eating, runs and hides in the corner of the room whenever I try to console her and keeps trying to look out of the bedroom.
If anyone has experienced this sort of behaviour in their cats in the past, please help.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it can be the smallest thing that spooks a cat - a sound, a smell or a piece of furniture. It could also be that she was feeling nauseous and blames that on something outside the room. Anyway, there is no way to get a cat to feel differently except letting them settle down on their own and not pushing them to go where they are not comfortable. Be sure she has food, water and a litterbox in the room she is hiding in as well as in their usual places in the house. Usually a cat will start moving out of hiding and exploring at night and eventually goes back to their previous rerouting and behavior.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, I'd like to welcome you to TCS! :wave3: Second, if it's not too personal can you explain why you moved your cat to your parent's house? I'm wondering if it stressed her out. Here are 2 helpful Articles that discuss this subject:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

I'm concerned that she stopped eating and would recommend bringing her to your vet. She could have a more serious health problem than you realize. Please try encouraging her to eat. Here is an excellent Article with some tips on that:
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again

Best of luck, I sincerely hope you cat feels better soon. Please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nikhaart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got her to start feeling a bit better and eat her favorite food. She has her food and water available in the room and her litterbox is also in the bathroom. Thank you so much for your help. :)
Sometimes it can be the smallest thing that spooks a cat - a sound, a smell or a piece of furniture. It could also be that she was feeling nauseous and blames that on something outside the room. Anyway, there is no way to get a cat to feel differently except letting them settle down on their own and not pushing them to go where they are not comfortable. Be sure she has food, water and a litterbox in the room she is hiding in as well as in their usual places in the house. Usually a cat will start moving out of hiding and exploring at night and eventually goes back to their previous rerouting and behavior.

nikhaart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey neely, I had to shift her to my parents because I just finished college and had no permanent residence of my own. I’ll be shifting out in a while and decided it was the best thing to do. I’m going to be keeping her with me and not with my parents as soon as I shift out. She’s actually been very comfortable here barring today and I’m just going through the cam footage to determine the cause of her anxiety.
Thank you for the articles. I’ve just gotten her to eat again, and I’m taking her to the vet tomorrow.
You’ve been very helpful. :)
First, I'd like to welcome you to TCS! :wave3: Second, if it's not too personal can you explain why you moved your cat to your parent's house? I'm wondering if it stressed her out. Here are 2 helpful Articles that discuss this subject:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

I'm concerned that she stopped eating and would recommend bringing her to your vet. She could have a more serious health problem than you realize. Please try encouraging her to eat. Here is an excellent Article with some tips on that:
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again

Best of luck, I sincerely hope you cat feels better soon. Please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the explanation, that helped a lot. Congrats on completing college. :bouquet: Glad to hear she has started to eat again. Hopefully everything will go well at the vet tomorrow. Please feel free to keep us updated on her appointment. BTW, I loved your picture, she is beautiful. :lovecat3:

nikhaart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As it turns out, she was just spooked because someone entered the house with an umbrella.
Damn .
Thanks for your help.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS! Great detective work on solving the "what done it" mystery! Mother Nature has not given animals much logic in understanding umbrellas :D
I watched a Police Horse trials competition where the "bad guy" came out of a dome tent and opened an umbrella at the horse & rider. Most of the horses at least pulled up short, a few shied away - and one particularly spunky mare went at the umbrella and the bad guy, grabbing his arm and trying to knock him down! so if opening an umbrella would scare/startle a fully trained, professional police horse, your (beautiful fluffy ginger :loveeyes:) housecat was in good company.
Congratulations on finishing your schooling! I have always let my kitties stay with my folks when I was away.

MyOllie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So lucky you had that footage to go back on, otherwise you could have ended up with an enormous vet bill considering the vet wouldn't have known whatt was wrong so most likely would have ordered a lot of unnecessary tests, it's happened to a friend of mine and cost her hundreds of dollars and in the end she decided to adopt a kitten for a companion and her kitty has been fine ever since?!

nikhaart

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is an amazing community. Just saying.