Cat Stopped Eating, Tests Clean, What Next?

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
11.5 year old Tessie's eating habits changed end of Dec. She was eating less and seemed uninterested even as I offered her different kinds of food and even chicken, which she normally loves. She was also lethargic and just stayed on my bed. And her breathing seemed heavier. I should also note she has a history of mammory cancer. Removed a nipple and a nodule nearby back in Oct 2016.

She had her yearly on 1/10 (shots and all) and I mentioned all this. They said to continue to monitor, but it kept getting worse. We went back in 1/20 for xrays and they generally looked good except for a suspicious spot which ended up being nothing after we got more xrays and ultrasound at MedVet 1/24. The Dr there did seem to think perhaps it could be bronchial and we did blood test for pancreatitis (still waiting on results). Been treating Tessie for both of these with anti-nasaeu, bronchial, food stimulant, and prilosec. Nothing seems to be working. She's eating like 1/4 can/day, if that. Way less than her normal 1 can/1/3 cup dry.

Talked to my vet today and he recommended steroids to help with breathing and appetite, so I picked it up. Praying it kicks in. Any further diagnostic testing would be invasive and I don't want to put her through that.

Has anyone else had experience with unexplained illness? I'm so sad thinking I'm going to lose her and without any answers. Could it be cancer cells hiding? Would love to hear from others. I am at a loss.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the blood works include the electrolytes? How were they?
I have understood that you are treating pancreas before knowing if it is bad.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't see the word electrolyte specifically on the test results but it's 3 pages long. Could it be classified as a different word?

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes those were normal range. I don't see iron.

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi , you wrote on my question so I read about your angel and wondered if someone has checked Tessies heart? The thing with Puma came out of the blue and the echo cardiogram showed the left atrial failure as well as a mitral valve stenosis that couldn't have happened overnight but...Pumas ultrasound showed normal pancreas and kidneys.

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We recently had a cat who stopped eating and had unexplained illness but his onset and deterioration were very fast.

Have they done an ultrasound of the abdomen? That is the only other test from what you list that I can think of.

You asked if it could be cancer cells hiding - absolutely, but there doesn’t seem to much indication that is what is wrong.

What about her teeth? I assume they have checked her mouth.

She is still eating, even if it isn’t much, and that is good. Keep her eating.

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ara11 ara11 they did X-ray and ultrasound and said her organs were in good shape. So I assume that also means heart?

A aprilc shes eating but like a tablespoon a day. Not nearly enough. I’ve tried everything go get her to eat more. I was hoping these steroids would make her eat but they’re not working. Tonight she ate about a tablespoon of wet food and a few bites of dry.

aprilc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ara11 ara11 they did X-ray and ultrasound and said her organs were in good shape. So I assume that also means heart?
It usually doesn’t. It is a separate ultrasound.

This is what we were told by emergency vet.

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
tessie7, aprilc is correct. it is a different test. I only suggest it since they haven't found a cause. we assume her thyroid is ok? Puma went in for vomiting but they did a chest xray and then ultrasound of chest and abd. That's when this whole heart thing started with suspicions so I was sent for echocardiogram. I'm sure your vets have listened to heart and abd sounds and don't want to suggest any extra tests. The heart is just a thought so problems there can result in lethargy, nausea, and loss of appetite, as I have sadly found out. I hope your baby is doing better

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
tessie7, aprilc is correct. it is a different test. I only suggest it since they haven't found a cause. we assume her thyroid is ok? Puma went in for vomiting but they did a chest xray and then ultrasound of chest and abd. That's when this whole heart thing started with suspicions so I was sent for echocardiogram. I'm sure your vets have listened to heart and abd sounds and don't want to suggest any extra tests. The heart is just a thought so problems there can result in lethargy, nausea, and loss of appetite, as I have sadly found out. I hope your baby is doing better
They’ve listened to her heart and did note her breathing is a bit heavy. On X-ray they noted her heart looked good. Maybe I can ask if they saw anything with the ultrasound. Today she hasn’t eaten and just stayed on my bed all day until just now coming out to join me on the couch on my lap. She looked at her food and sat there for a few, but isn’t interested.

I’ve noticed a snorting sound every so often in her breathing too which I’ll let the dr know about. This is awful.

ara11

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tessie7 that is just awful. I know. watching every symptom and being helpless and knowing you love your cat and your cat loves you. You are seeing some changing symptoms and hopefully the vet can explain them.
Someone on my post said they were wrapping their heart around Puma and me it felt good so I want to wrap mine around you two.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
11.5 year old Tessie's eating habits changed end of Dec. She was eating less and seemed uninterested even as I offered her different kinds of food and even chicken, which she normally loves. She was also lethargic and just stayed on my bed. And her breathing seemed heavier. I should also note she has a history of mammory cancer. Removed a nipple and a nodule nearby back in Oct 2016.

She had her yearly on 1/10 (shots and all) and I mentioned all this. They said to continue to monitor, but it kept getting worse. We went back in 1/20 for xrays and they generally looked good except for a suspicious spot which ended up being nothing after we got more xrays and ultrasound at MedVet 1/24. The Dr there did seem to think perhaps it could be bronchial and we did blood test for pancreatitis (still waiting on results). Been treating Tessie for both of these with anti-nasaeu, bronchial, food stimulant, and prilosec. Nothing seems to be working. She's eating like 1/4 can/day, if that. Way less than her normal 1 can/1/3 cup dry.

Talked to my vet today and he recommended steroids to help with breathing and appetite, so I picked it up. Praying it kicks in. Any further diagnostic testing would be invasive and I don't want to put her through that.

Has anyone else had experience with unexplained illness? I'm so sad thinking I'm going to lose her and without any answers. Could it be cancer cells hiding? Would love to hear from others. I am at a loss.
:grouphug:Oh you poor dear, are you back to the vet Monday? I am so sorry to hear about your poor dear baby. All I can do is send my prayers your way. Keep us updated, We are here for you.:grouphug2:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with ara11 ara11 ,
The heart scan is a different test. The machine is the same of the ultrasound scan, but it is possible to have a cardiogram with the sound recording and all measurements.
You need an expert scan vet.

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Confirmed on Monday Tessie has elevated levels suggestive of pancreatitis. The ER vet suggested admitting her for fluids and feeding tube, but can't guarantee anything so I painfully opted to keep treating at home. He said to stay on steroids and add Mitrazapine back in. My vet agreed and also suggested maybe some pain meds in case she's in any pain. I picked that up last night (Tue). May also consider increase steroids dose if no improvements.

Steroids seem to be working a little bit. Started 5mg on Sat and gave her 3.75 Mitrazapene Monday night as well. Sun night she seemed to really enjoy me hand feeding her some Greenie's treats, which was a nice surprise! She didn't eat much Monday night other than some treats, but I came home from work Tue and was so happy to see her meet me at the door (it had been a month!) and see she had eaten both portions of wet food I left out, plus some dry and some treats. I didn't give her the pain meds due to this sudden change in appetite, but gave her the steroid (it is the WORST trying to give cats pills...I dread it so much). She had a big BM too that evening. She ate minimal dinner, some treats and nothing over night Tue. Today (Wed) I came home and she had eaten about 1/2 the wet food I left out (less than 1/4 can), some treats and a bit of dry. But she did have a BM. She didn't eat as much as Tue, sadly, but I guess any progress is good news? Tonight she doesn't seem very interested in anything other than a couple of bites of wet food. Not even treats. I just gave her the steroid and need to build up my confidence to shoot in the liquid pain meds.

The decision on the hospital admission/feeding tube is killing me. The hope would be to get her eating on her own quickly and take the tube out. But what if that doesn't happen? I am on my own, and travel for work, and can't do 3-4x/day feedings. Also...and I hate even saying it, but it's real life...the price. I've read up on both sides - success stories and stories of complications, and I'm just torn. I don't want to cut her life short, but I don't want to put her through so much. PLUS there's the history of mammary cancer that could very well be causing some of this, but just not yet presenting itself. That mammary surgery was awful, and the 3 month recovery (several infection at the huge incision) was brutal. I just can't put her through something like that again.

Sigh. The highs and lows are brutal. After a couple weeks of being so stressed and emotional, I felt so good on Tue after she ate, and again feeling overwhelmed...

tessie7

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any ideas of what to give her to get her to eat. I've tried her regular wet food, Fancy Feast, 2 different dry foods, ham baby food (room temp and heated), Greenie's, plain chicken breast. I thought someone mentioned somewhere some Stella & Chewy dog food that actually worked for his/her cat. She doesn't like tuna (so weird) so that won't work. Anything else? What am I missing?!

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dont know if its a good idea or not, hopefully someone else can weigh in. I just got over 2 weeks of syringing electrolytes and high calorie wet food to my kitty. It was A LOT of work, and I was also told a feeding tube would be the best option but had no guarantees as he was very sick. He had severe Jaundice with Severe liver disease.

I fed him 1 can of high calorie food a day, split into 4 feedings. Mixed the wet food into a slurry with the electrolytes (un flavored pedialyte) and gave plenty of the pedialyte during the day via syringe.

I also used a vitamin gel called suplicall. That also had a lot of calories in it help sustain weight.

I forgot the high calorie name for science diet, purina does a C/N which he is still eating daily.

My vet also was against the whole syringe feeding and advised against the "forceful" feeding.

I took my kitty back in today and the vet was beyond impressed with how he has over come the infection.

Again I hope someone can weigh in on the idea.

I hope your kitty gets better soon!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If Mirtazapine does not kick in or gives no effects, I don't know what elese to do.
Sometimes a massive hydration can wake up the appetite, you can do it at home with a subcutaneous shot of Ringer's Lactated.
I've been giving my anorexic cat some cyproheptadine in the last two days, but she's still not eating...