Cat Stopped Eating, Severe Weight Loss, Help!

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted not too long ago that 2 of my cats had come down with a fungal infection (Cryptococcosis).

Well we ended up with 4 out of 5 cats having it. 3 of the 4 are healing well and the vet is happy with their progress...

The 4th isn't doing great and the vet is wanting us to put her down. She IS healing from the fungal infection, that looks great but she ended up with it along her nose and onto the roof of her mouth. Which has caused her to not be able to smell or taste any food.

I've been forcing broth foods into her as well as more watered down wet cat food. She's not gaining her weight back.

I don't want to put her down, she's a fighter with a strong will to live and she's such a sweet loving cat.

Is there anything I can do more to get the weight back on her?? Our vet isn't helping and told me she was pretty much a lost cause and it'd be better to just let her go.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
wow, you-all are amazing!!

Maybe something here will help, along with Nutri-cal - and know that I'm sending you every good thought and prayer I own.

Finger feeding may help. Sit with your cat and scoop some food on your finger or a spoon. Or gently tuck some food inside the cheek.

You could double-check with your vet just to be sure these things below are ok for your kitty.

Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Try making the Pedialyte here;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Also, try making one of these;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

These can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, as mentioned if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave.
Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet about putting in a feeding tube. It looks and sounds scary but can save your cat's life and worth a shot doing instead of PTS. Feeding Tubes For Cats High calorie canned foods (watered down a bit of needed) and supplements and even meds can be give through the tube.

Get a second opinion from another vet if you don't feel that the current vet is helpful at all.

Besides the list Furballsmom posted with food enticers ad typical prescription high calorie foods like Hills A/D, ask the vet about Oxbow Carnivore Care. It's a complete diet food that can be syringed into a cat if needed. Oxbow Carnivore Care For Inappetent Cats

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if a feeding tube would be a good idea while he heals...hopefully others chime in.
Ask the vet about putting in a feeding tube.
I was going to write the same thing.
Ask the vet for a feeding tube. You'll be able to feed your cat, until she gets her weight back, meanwhile she will recover from her issue.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kamijo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much.

She has another appointment next week but I'll call them first thing Monday. He never even said anything about a feeding tube so I'll push for that.

Until then I'll try some of the things listed by Furballsmom posted. She's thin but strong, she's following me around everywhere I go and has a good meow.

I'm just praying that I can keep her alive and that she continues to heal.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can find a vet who will fight with you to save your cat. I'd want a vet that offered everything, even things I couldn't afford, who let me make the decisions.

If you go back to this vet I'd want a d... good reason for why he didn't suggest a feeding tube or the nutrient gel. It sounds to me as though he's trying prove he's right and you're wrong. I'm praying, literally, that there is another vet in your area.

akirababe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wholeheartedly support getting another vet's opinion. It hurts my heart to think that your vet's first suggestion is euthanasia. Or maybe it isn't, but it still seems like maybe that option got jumped to a little too quickly... Definitely get a second opinion if this vet isn't willing to discuss alternatives. Losing a fur baby should be a very last resort.

I do have to play devil's advocate a little here, though. One thing I've read directly from a vet's pen:
There are three timeframes in which you could put your pet down.
1: Too early.
2: At the right time.
3: Too late.
You never want to reach #3.

That's not to say you want to jump into #1 when it's unnecessary... From the way you describe your cat following you around and meowing at you, it sounds like she may still be at #0. Now, I'm no vet, and I haven't seen her, but it sounds like it's at least worth trying for a second opinion, or really talking to this vet and explaining that you don't like the option he's given you and you want another.

You will always regret it if you don't try, and you will never regret trying. <3 Good luck. Keep us updated! :)