Cat Still Sick Vets Don't Know

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You definitely need to take care of yourself, because if anaything happens to you, who will be there to take care of your furbabies. (this is something I ask myself also :frown: . With this virus going around, not sure I can count on my usual cat sitter :sigh:)

Anyway, thought I would say more on the E-Tube. Feedng through that is SO easy. The few issues we encountered were that at first I pushed the food too fast which caused it to be regurgitated, but I quickly learned to just push it in slowly. The only other thing I can think of was that we needed to feed our guy every four hours, which was a pain inthemiddle of the night, but not everyone needs to do that. Our guy had Hepatic Lipidosis, which is a whole other issue. Anyway, I would say the tube feeding, from start to finish, including warming up the food, probably took maybe 10 minutes per meal. Really easy peasy compared to trying to either coax them to eat or force feed.

And from what I understand, the surgery is also quick and easy. (takes about 10 - 15 minutes) . Ours was about 20 years ago and was NOT an E-tube so was more complicated (was inserted directly into his stomach). Things have improved vastly since then.

Just food for thought. (no pun intended)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ughhh I'm such a mess right now. So Oliver just seemed super depressed last night. He seemed stable and comfortable but I woke up at 2 am and was like I need to take him to the hospital tomorrow.

So he was hospitalized today. They are hopeful based in the initial exam, blood work, and ultrasound. They are going to treat him with fluid therapy which I am not totally sure what that is but I assume getting him what he needs with IVs.

His red blood cells are super super low. So they want to figure out why. He also had fluid in his liver.

They think he needs 3-4 days there. Just enough time for me to go broke. Cool but the other option is really euthanasia. I cant just bring him home sick, and the feeding tube doesnt seem like it makes sense anymore as there seems to be more than just nutrition.

I feel relieved in a way but sad to be home without him. I pray he gets out of there ok.

On a side note as I was waiting for him outside the Vet for 3 hours....a guy came around and starting coughing and spitting on people saying he had Coronavirus. Kind of was crazy. The cops were called of course.

Let's just say I have had a hell of a day.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goodness! did they say what might be causing these new issues? At least they are hopeful, which is good news. Poor baby. He's been through the wringer, and putting you through it as well.

Now about that guy coughing and spitting on people :eek2: I have no words for that, but hoping he wasn't really sick. Did he approach you or were you in your car and able to roll up your windows. I'm' glad the police were called. Some people!

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Goodness! did they say what might be causing these new issues? At least they are hopeful, which is good news. Poor baby. He's been through the wringer, and putting you through it as well.

Now about that guy coughing and spitting on people :eek2: I have no words for that, but hoping he wasn't really sick. Did he approach you or were you in your car and able to roll up your windows. I'm' glad the police were called. Some people!

No that guy wasnt really sick he was probably just some dude who has been through a bad life and was lashing out. Maybe had some mental instability or doing drugs....who knows but it was a big scene. Felt a bit surreal. The hospital has a tent outside with chairs on the sidewalk we were all waiting at. He came and sat down with us. Crazy times.

I dont have much more answers today. They called me said he is stable....I guess he had a fever too yesterday which they told me but I forgot. So they got this down and have been giving fluids and antibiotics. Not eating still.

He is now with 2 new Drs from internal medicine. They went through the history again with me it sounded like they just came in and were piecing together everything. They said that it's tough to known what they are dealing with bc his symptoms are so non specific which is why they think there has been so much back and forth and trying different things. Right now there are 2 things standing out he has an infection and the Pancreatitis.

Today they are doing a full ultrasound with the radiologist, more blood. They want to see if he needs a blood transfusion. Which seems aggressive to me but they assured me this commen there. Then will call me later.

I kind of dont know where to draw the line like when it's time to put the cat down. I wanted them to know this so they can guide me when it's too much. They said for now it looks hopeful but they themselves need more answers to figure out.

Feeling positive but I'm so anxious my stomach is in knots.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well not good for Oliver.

They did the new ultrasound and things are way different than the last one. His spleen is super enlarged there are fluids and some clusters. They said his Pancreas looks not as bad.

They said it takes some time for disease to progress and that if she saw the last ultrasound she would of thought it was Pancreatitis too.

They now think its Lyphoma, FIP, or Cancer.

They said they can do the last round of test to confirm and keep him there to decide what to do. I said yes but now I'm rethinking. I just called back but they need to call me.

I think I just want to bring home and schedule the Euthanasia.

Or maybe do the test but still bring home. As long as they can keep him comfortable. Which sounds like they are. His red blood cells did improve with him being there. But doesnt really matter.

I'm devastated.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear. I'm so sorry. Darn it ! Was hoping for much better news than this. An infection can cause an enlarged spleen, and an enlarged spleen can cause anemia (low red blood cells), which is probably why they wanted to do a blood transfusion. Did they do that already? Just wondering if that may be why his red blood cells improved. But, of course, none of this takes into account the clusters and fluid seen on the ultrasound. I don't know. You've gone this far, I would probably do the final test if you can afford it just so you don't second guess yourself later, then decide what to do after discussing with your Vet (what would THEY do, etc.)

Please continue to keep us in the loop. We're here for you. :hugs:

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I'm doing the test. I'm just so anxious because I know i dont have a lot of time and hes not with me. I really want to bring him home but I know the hospital is making him feel better than I can here. I just hate that hes there.

I dont know if I can handle another night...with him there. Or 2 nights they are saying it they dont get the results tomorrow.

I am going to ask if I can bring him home faster. Or see him or something.

How do people deal with a loss of a pet I am not handling this good. I am in so much pain and sadness.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It is never easy to deal with the loss (or possibly impending loss) of a pet. For me, it is worse than the loss of a family member, and that is actually explained here in this thread.

Thoughts For Grieving Cat Lovers

If that time comes, we have another Forum here called Crossing the Bridge where people write tributes to their lost little furry ones and many people find it helps just to write about them and post pictures, then they normally get wonderful responses that help them through the pain. Time DOES help, the amount depends on you. In my case, with the last two we lost, we had other cats to help ease that pain. But before that, three deaths ago, we didn't have any other animals around at all, and that was particularly hard. My husband said he just couldn't go through the pain of loss again, so we went six whole months without any furry bodies in the house until I couldn't stand it anymore and he relented. The next cat we got ended up being HIS soul mate and they were inseparable. When she died I really wasn't quite sure how he would handle it, but Tinky stepped up to the plate and filled her shoes almost immediately. Now that we are a LOT older I keep saying maybe when these last two are gone we should think about fostering rather than adopting because I don't want them to outlive us and have that worry, and he says "no, I can't be without a cat or two!". Sorry to be so long winded, but my point is that you may feel like it is the end of the world right now, but eventually things will get better. And maybe, just maybe, those test will show something different than what you fear :crossfingers:

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got an update this morning...still waiting on the test but some good news!

He ate they said a lot everytime they fed him. They said they rate the eating on 1-3 and he did a 3 everytime. That is amazing to me since he hasnt eatten well for so long on his own.

He also is playing!! They gave him some catnip and he is rolling around they said in the cage so that warmed my heart and gave me some relief.

I am actually hungry now after my food strike yesterday!

This give me hope I dont expect a miracle with the results but maybe your right maybe just maybe I freaked out and this whole thing is ok.

The very least I am getting the blessing of him coming home in good condition so we can spend time and say our goodbyes in our home together. That is better than dropping him off and never seeing again or having to euthanasize there.

I'm hopeful though! I'll update you with results.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This sound good! I'm getting my hopes up. At least he feels better, and that's what we all want. Hang in there. When do you expect the final test results back?

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow ok I got good news but bad news I dont even know honestly at this point.

He doesn't have Cancer and they think no FIP!!! I was so happy.......

Here's where it gets complicated. Apparently he has a rare bacterial infection in his spleen. They have no idea how but attribute to possible play with my other cats and a bite that was an abscess that not treated created this.

So the infection is apparently so bad its causing all of this but unfortunately they don't know how to treat it bc they dont know where it's from and what antibiotic will do it. He was already on so many and is currently on one at the hospital.

There suggestion is to get another round of test of the spleen and blood to send off for culture. To stay another night in the hospital to treat with IV antibiotics....send home tomorrow to wait for the cultures.

He will most likely be on antibiotics for months and if that doesnt work the next option is to remove the spleen and do internal scope to find the abcess.

Unfortunately if it came to the surgery and scope I would have to put down there bc I'm out of money.

I guess this is so rare they have never seen (in Brooklyn NY) and they have been all discussing and pulling up rare bacterial infections.

So I feel like I got a miracle but then I wasnt sure bc they were kind of like dont get to hopefull the infection might take over his body. I'm just worn out at this point and want off the rollercoaster but I am thankful for the blessing of hope and that I will have some time with him hopefully.

I'm of course blaming myself I had some cat grass I grew in a box and it got moldy before I threw it outside...not sure if that did it. Also what is odd and I told them this is that he had a circle on his ear that started as hair loss turned into a scab and then went away before all of this. Coincidentally my other cat now has. So I'm scared this will sweep through my house kill my 4 cats and I'm in thousands of dollars in debt. My mind is messed up but that's where I'm at.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At this point, stop second-guessing what might have caused it. Spend your efforts on finding a way to resolve it. Your vets should be able to have a consult with a vet university to their avail. Ask them to use it!!!
Yeah your totally right about second guessing. Not reallly useful. I think the hospital mentioned the university today but not sure if they are talking with. The vet did say they have been discussing with other internal medicine doctors this case because it's been so baffeling.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe they can discuss with Cornell School of Veterinary Medicine. I believe they are pretty up and coming. At least NOT cancer, so that is good :). Is he still feeling better? If so, maybe that IV antibiotic they are giving him is kicking in.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oliver is home!!! I'm so happy to see him.

He was probably running on adrenaline but looks like he has so much more energy and life back to him. They are treating him with 2 antibiotics right now and the same anti nausea and appetite stimulant. The antibiotics could change once they get some culture results back. We will see what happens.

What a crazy rollarcoaster of diagnoses. Teeth to UTI to Pancreatitis to Cancer or FIP and the final rare bacterial infection.

My mind is swimming. I feel a bit crazy and I think I learned some lessons here too like maybe stop googling so much, and not to freak out before it happens. Also that I need to learn to deal with death a little better.

But I am beyond happy this story has hope now and if it doesn't he is comfortable and feeling more like himself!