Cat Still Sick Vets Don't Know

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the key to help with flare ups is to monitor his food, a raw diet might work well, and to keep his stress level down. You can try Feliway or Comfort Zone diffusers in your home to help decrease his stress. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about pancreatitis, but I have a friend whose cat has it and it took a couple of months to get her kitty eating well again and on the road to better health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the key to help with flare ups is to monitor his food, a raw diet might work well, and to keep his stress level down. You can try Feliway or Comfort Zone diffusers in your home to help decrease his stress. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about pancreatitis, but I have a friend whose cat has it and it took a couple of months to get her kitty eating well again and on the road to better health.
I was just looking up how long is the road to recovery, so this is helpful. I wish it was faster.

I have some Feliway diffusers already in the wall! I bought some a few weeks back thinking maybe it would help him.

Oliver went to the Vet yesterday for his Ultrasound. They haven't given me the full results yet, but said their initial look at it is that its Pancreatitis. His spleen was also enlarged which concerned them for Cancer but they were hopeful this was just due to the Pancreatitis. They got a sample and sent it out to get tested.

His appetite has returned on the medicine which is good, but hes still not feeling well of course. I am now giving him pain meds every 8 hours, an appetite stimulate every 24 hours, and some other pill that I guess helps every 24 hours. His shaking has stopped, and hes seems to be resting a bit more comfortable.

I got a really good cat food called Rawz that is human grade, limited ingredient and high in protein. He had a lot of it today.

I am relieved that they figured it out....none of the other diagnosis seemed right, I feel like I can relax a little because I know I am going in the right direction. I don't think he has Cancer but maybe I'm being overly optimistic!

Hope he recovers fast. What a crazy ordeal, poor little guy has been through hell. I feel horrible, and doing a little beating up of myself that I shouldn't caught sooner.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update. He doesn't have Cancer so happy. Its definitely Pancreatitis.....he has had 2 pretty decent days in row where he seems to be resting comfortably and doing a couple of the old things he likes.

I think theres a ways to go but I'm hopeful that its the right direction now.

I did have to get a stronger pain med (buprenorphine) take the edge off when things get too painful for him bc the one I had ( gabapentin) didnt help all the time.

Hes eating and drinking water...and today I caught him rolled over on his back. Thought that was a good sign rather than the hunch.

On the road to recovery!!! Thanks for all of your help and support this group is amazing!

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well the saga continues with Oliver and I am really worn out emotionally and frustrated.

The Vets have done all they can at the moment but I need to speak to them tomorrow as he hasnt eatten much in 3 days now. Which is my major concern. I have tried a million different foods. Nothing is working not even his favorite treats. He keeps trying to go to the bathroom but nothing comes out...which how could it he hasnt eatten. He might be constipated from the meds too.

Below is the meds and stuff he is on:
- Appetite stimulant Mirataz
- Cerenia which is an anti nausea and I guess has anti inflammatory properties.
-He was on the pain medication Buprenex but we are now weening off his last dose today.
- I am administering IV fluids under skin from home. Still learning this but some days are successful others are not. Today he got it.

I spoke to the vet Monday and we talked about taking him off the pain to see if we can get him to eat but it's really not working. I am scheduled to speak again Friday but I might have to call tomorrow.

I kind of dont know what to do anymore. I can of course bring him back to the vet but there isnt too much more to do they have done all the test and this is it. I assume they might give IVs for not eating...which is different than me giving the fluids under the skin at home but how long would that last.

I'm at the point of giving up and just leaving him alone to see what happens. He is super depressed by me constantly shoving meds down his throat, sticking him, and watching his every move. I dont know what more to do anymore its feeling hopeless. Any advice is helpful.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still learning this but some days are successful others are not.
We had that too - it can be challenging but of course so worth it.

Can you finger feed him, or use a popsicle stick to scoop little mounds of food into his mouth? It takes a while but if he'll swallow it gets the calories/nutrients into him. ...would you want to try a feeding tube?

Sending tons of hugs!!

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes today the vet suggested a feeding tube. Honestly my intial reaction is that it feels like a lot. My gut is telling me I need some time to think that one through. Let me know your stories with these as I am educating myself today.

They gave me an estimated bill and I can swing it so money isnt the first thing that blocks my decision.

I love my cats so much and I would do anything for them but there is a line for me where I want nature to take its course too. I dont always do the most aggressive medical route when I think it might be more stress for them with not a good outcome. I'm not ready to stop fighting for him yet but are we at the point where we just see if he can turn and if he doesnt then it's his time? These are things I'm asking myself.

The vet seemed to want to get this moving ASAP and I get why but I guess I need the day.

I spent an hour with him this morning wiping food on his paws and him licking off. He stopped when he had enough. I do feel like I got a decent amount in. I also did his fluids today no problem.

Hes resting now.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The feeding tube sounds a lot worse than it actually is - based on many members on this site who have had them for their cats. Below is a link to previous threads, so you can see how many have used them and how they say that it doesn't really take a lot of time to get used to them. I am doing this because I don't know how long you might have to wait until members respond directly, so hopefully this link will help ease your hesitancy and see what good things can come from it!
Search Results for Query: feeding tube

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had a cat with a feeding tube, and in my opinion, it was a god send. So mucn easier to deal with than trying to force feed them, and you can also give them their meds right through the tube. Well, not their sub-q fluids, but everything else! If you do decide to go with an E-tube, you might think about a Kitty Kollar to help keep the end of the tube in place. They didn't have these when our guy had his feeding tube, but believe me, I would get one of these in an instant of we ever needed a feeding tube again. Here is the link: https://kittykollar.com

But
I do want to say that I'm wondering about exactly what you are feeding him. I took a look at Rawz, which is, indeed, a wonderful food, but it may be too high in fat for a cat with pancreatitis. Of course, I don't know WHICH Rawz you are feeding, but I took a look at several of them and they all seemed pretty high in fat, which is not good for cats with pancreatitis, or so I've heard. You might want to ask your Vet for food recomendations, because even with a tube if you give him food that causes pain, that won't be good.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Of course, I don't know WHICH Rawz you are feeding, but I took a look at several of them and they all seemed pretty high in fat, which is not good for cats with pancreatitis, or so I've heard. You might want to ask your Vet for food recomendations, because even with a tube if you give him food that causes pain, that won't be good.
[/QUOTE]
Omg really I didnt realize this was high in fat I have the salmon pate but I actually was out of it so he was getting science diet chicken pate. I just assumed the Rawz was low in fat guess I was wrong. He also has been eating the stella and chewy dehydrated food salmon and chicken.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have several differnt types of food at home. I have Koha which now seems the best judging by what you said. I also have this fresh nom nom now food. I pulled that out looks like it is high in protein and low in fat. I just got a little Koha food in him by rubbing his paw. Going to work on this some more. That's good to hear some positive things about the feeding tube. Maybe this is the route I should take.

I'm so stressed out I cant really think anymore. I am really struggling emotionally with this.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point I would not be picky about his food if he is not eating. The most important thing is he gets food in him no matter what it is. Something is better than nothing at all.

If he likes rawz feed him that. Once his appetite is stable then worry about getting a different food if you feel he would do better on that.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok today is a new day and I have a clearer head. I havnt made my mind up about the feeding tube yet....but it's in consideration but I'm holding at the moment.

Right now I am syringe feeding him. I reached out to my community of cat people. I have done feral work in the past and there is a big group in my neighborhood. They got me in touch with someone who has a pet shop in my hood and is knowledgeable in homeopathic treatments for Pancreatitis. She suggested to feed right now only plain chicken to get things settled down. She suggested boiling chicken and puree the meat with the broth....she also gave me some human grade chicken cat food high in protein low in fat. She said to puree everything even the food she gave me so the cats body doesnt have to work hard to digest anything. So I have been doing this since 9 pm last night with the syringe.

He has definitely perked up and has his fight back in him.

In addition to the just plain chicken diet I will use the Bup pain med when he seems super uncomfortable. Last night I did this. He hasnt needed any today yet.

He got his IV fluids today which is great. He is still drinking water on his own too seems to do right after the feedings so that is also good.

I was also given a Clay Bentonite to use before feedings to help coat things and digestive ezymes to mix with food.

I will also continue with the appite stimulate Mirataz.

I have hope today which is better than yesterday.

My goal is to get 6 oz of food in him a day but when he seems to have enough at a feeding I'm not over forcing.

Right now I am comfortable with this as a hope to get him eating on his own. I have food out so if he chooses he can eat.

mfena0720

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to wish you the absolute best for all that you're going through. My own kitty is going through something similar, but your situation is much more serious.

I'm wondering, did they do the actual blood test for pancreatitis? The Spec FPL? I thought I'd read that normally they do the blood test as a second confirmation.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to wish you the absolute best for all that you're going through. My own kitty is going through something similar, but your situation is much more serious.

I'm wondering, did they do the actual blood test for pancreatitis? The Spec FPL? I thought I'd read that normally they do the blood test as a second confirmation.
Thank you I appreciate the wishes. I sincerely hope you and your kitty make it through it too. It is a nightmare when they get sick and I dont wish this for anyone. Its such a guessing game.

I don't think they did the blood test and for the life of me cant figure out why I have been wondering this too. I mean the ultrasound should be pretty clear right? I should be talking to the Vet today and going to ask. He at one point wanted to take more blood but the Coronavirus makes this whole thing harder they are being more cautious on telling people to come in. I'm in NY.

He is stable today and as long as I can keep him like this I think I might keep going with what I'm doing and make an appointment for later next week to just run blood and do a check up.

He isnt eating on his own yet but ate 1 treat this morning after his fluids so that was a promising sign. He also seems to be relaxing very comfortable sprawled out and not hunched up. His belly seems less bloated too so I take those things as a step forward. I am scared to be overly optimistic bc he dips and then it's like crisis.

He also hasnt needed the pain med as I could tell the last does was Wednesday night.

I was not successful at the full 6oz of food yesterday. At midnight me and him were so worn out. I gave up. I got 3.67 oz in him yesterday.

We are off to a better start today already got 1.2 oz this morning. Next feeding at 1.

I still have not ruled out the tube or hospitalization as I cant physically keep this up for too long but praying he will turn this corner.

I appreciate everyone and there support through this helps to just talk when you feel like your going crazy. I wish I had a more chill approach I am not being super kind to myself right now and need to start taking care of me too again!