Cat still not bonding

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My bengal female us almost 3 now. Adopted her last July when she 2yrs 3mth after being spayed. She was a ex-breeding queen.
She was skittish but well behaved as she will only use scratching post and does not scratch or bite us.
But she was never into us will not like to carry or pet her much. But will chase teasers.
Now her attitude twds us is same as she still does not allow us to carry or pet her. Occasional scratches to her cheeks allowed.
She hates combing and does not allow us to cut nails. Usually have to hold her tight.
She hates me mist as usually I xaary her in box for vet and the one to hold her for ear cleaning each week. Ear clean regular ad she gas huge wax build up to allergies.
She also seem to like as well as always seeking me out. Jeoulus when I am occupied in HP or laptop and likes to sleep near my legs.
But will she ever let us be close to her?
Feel there is no bond from her as she still distance herself.
She does not sit with us or be near us until we are all asleep.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I suppose her 'demeanor' might have something to do with the environment she was in while being bred. The very fact that she seeks you out and likes to sleep near your legs would suggest that as she ages some more, she might like being petted more than she does now. There are tons of cats that don't like to be picked up, so that may or may not change with age.

She sounds like she is still somewhat 'on alert', and she is probably more skittish because of the continual ear cleaning - which very few cats like either. Do you give her treats while her ears are being cleaned - something positive for her to relate to while she is having her ears messed with?

I am not saying anything in this TCS article will work, but it can't hurt to try.
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My bengal female us almost 3 now. Adopted her last July when she 2yrs 3mth after being spayed. She was a ex-breeding queen.
She was skittish but well behaved as she will only use scratching post and does not scratch or bite us.
But she was never into us will not like to carry or pet her much. But will chase teasers.
Now her attitude twds us is same as she still does not allow us to carry or pet her. Occasional scratches to her cheeks allowed.
She hates combing and does not allow us to cut nails. Usually have to hold her tight.
She hates me mist as usually I xaary her in box for vet and the one to hold her for ear cleaning each week. Ear clean regular ad she gas huge wax build up to allergies.
She also seem to like as well as always seeking me out. Jeoulus when I am occupied in HP or laptop and likes to sleep near my legs.
My cat peaches is 9. Ever since she was 5 weeks old she did not like to be picked up or petted. Her only scratching spot is by her tail. The older she gets,the more affectionate. I can now scratch her behind her ears and pet her. Her temperament has not changed. She is queen over my other 2 cats and me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Used to give her treat after ear cleaning. Then she associated treat as ear cleaning and not come near. So we stopped it. We only give treat during nail cutting which she accepts

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the past I had a similar female cat. Storm was a 3 yr. old, spayed, Maine Coon that the Breeder had since birth. She was a "Pill" Very temperamental . She did not get along at all with the Neutered Male Maine Coon . She was the last female Cat I had. Have stuck to Males since.

Willowwombat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The fact that she wants to be in the same room as you suggests to me that she is bonded to you in her own way, just not overly touchy-feely.