Cat Stands Up While Peeing

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitty has always stood up before ending the urine stream. In order to compensate for this, we put her litter box inside a Rubbermaid and cut a door in one end of the Rubbermaid.

Up until now, she has always peed at the far end of the litter box and any urine that goes too far lands inside the Rubbermaid. The past half week she has started the same habit towards the front of the box. But that means when she stands up pee goes out the front opening and lands on the floor.

Do I have to design a new litter box? Any ideas? Or is there a way to correct her behavior? I have taken her to the vet, there are no medical issues. I've uploaded a pic of my current setup.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Will she use an enclosed litter with a door?

I have two, and one open one. My two tend to poo in the closed ones and wee in the other, but it may be the answer.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi

The dimensions, of, the litter box are: 23"L x 18"W x 11"H .

That really should work, for, your cat. Since, my F3 Savannah, was, about a 12" at the shoulder and over 30" long. If, that does not work, for you, then, I will tell you, what, I used for my male African Serval. But, it was EXTREME and doesn't go with any home decor

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I have one cat who stands up to pee. I use the large sterilite storage boxes. The sides are high enough that the pee hits the inside of the box instead of the wall.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dimensions, of, the litter box are: 23"L x 18"W x 11"H .

That really should work, for, your cat. Since, my F3 Savannah, was, about a 12" at the shoulder and over 30" long. If, that does not work, for you, then, I will tell you, what, I used for my male African Serval. But, it was EXTREME and doesn't go with any home decor
Can you tell me where you go the litter box?
Will she use an enclosed litter with a door?

I have two, and one open one. My two tend to poo in the closed ones and wee in the other, but it may be the answer.
The enclosed door ones look cramped vertically. Do most cats accept them?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
The enclosed door ones look cramped vertically. Do most cats accept them?
There are different sizes.. I have two enclosed.. one big one, one smaller one and one open one.  For some reason they poo in the enclosed ones (maybe they like their privacy).

They do have to push the door open, but if she'll use it you'll just have to wipe up where it's gone on the lid.

I've never had a cat that won't use them, but I've heard people say that theirs doesn't like them.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky had no trouble peeing over the tall sterilite and Rubbermaid storage containers.... She could be on Olympic games of high peeing :doh3:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who stands up to pee. I use the large sterilite storage boxes. The sides are high enough that the pee hits the inside of the box instead of the wall.
:yeah: me too.

No hole cut in them, they jump over to get in.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone for your replies! I shall try some of them out soon.

Sorry for not getting back soon. My Poppy suddenly decided not to eat, so I had to take her to the vet tonight! Doc suspects GI infection, so she is back with antibiotics. I'll tackle the litter box problem after I get things under control with regards to that.

And you know what she did after spending $144 on vet bills, the moment she came back? Cried for food and ate. 
(Well, OK, not her normal size meal, but at least she ate.)

moonlightleah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Moonlight misses the litter tray sometimes but it's a normal, I hope your cat don't do it all the time but I think she will learn&stop standing up while peeing

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poppy's making good progress with her GI infection. Appetite coming back. So I am wondering if there could be any connection with illness and her sudden decision to carry over her bad habit to the front of the box? She started doing that about a week before obvious symptoms set in.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to know my self my 2 males pee while standing :/ and they happened to be orange cats

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poppy's making good progress with her GI infection. Appetite coming back. So I am wondering if there could be any connection with illness and her sudden decision to carry over her bad habit to the front of the box? She started doing that about a week before obvious symptoms set in.
Just my
, but yes, it could be due to the GI infection. Since, it, was not a behavior your cat exhibited before the illness. All the cats, that, I described above, always, urinated when they where standing up. It was not a "sudden" behavior. I am sure you know this, but, the only way to know for sure, is, to wait and see, if, the behavior disappears, after, the GI issue has been "cured".

Last edited:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just my
, but yes, it could be due to the GI infection. Since, it, was not a behavior your cat exhibited before the illness. All the cats, that, I described above, always, urinated when they where standing up. It was not a "sudden" behavior. I am sure you know this, but, the only way to know for sure, is, to wait and see, if, the behavior disappears, after, the GI issue has been "cured".
The last time she went at the front of the box was a couple days before I took her to the vet, so around Tues. of last week was the last front incident. She hasn't done it since. Her antibiotics are a 10-day course, so around Mon. of next week she should be clear of the GI infection. For now I'm holding off on a new litter box design--she didn't pee in front too often, and I have a plastic chair mat in front of the litter box now, so any future incidents should just be unpleasant cleanup, no damage to flooring, etc. After she's done with her antibiotics I'll post whether or not her behavior went away, just for future reference.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last time she went at the front of the box was a couple days before I took her to the vet, so around Tues. of last week was the last front incident. She hasn't done it since.

Yay and continued
, so, that way she heals faster

Her antibiotics are a 10-day course, so around Mon. of next week she should be clear of the GI infection. For now I'm holding off on a new litter box design--she didn't pee in front too often, and I have a plastic chair mat in front of the litter box now, so any future incidents should just be unpleasant cleanup, no damage to flooring, etc.

The "set up" , sounds like a great plan, in my humble opinion.

After she's done with her antibiotics I'll post whether or not her behavior went away, just for future reference.

Yes, please let us know, how it goes.
for a continue recovery

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Cat Person! I am sure Poppy will do much better with your good wishes!