Cat Stands Up While Peeing

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poppy is doing very well, thanks for asking. She kept pestering me for snacks yesterday! Even licking my face, she only does that when she really wants a snack!

She did get diarrhea from the antibiotics, but the vet said if she doesn't have any other illness symptoms I could take her off them.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snipped> She did get diarrhea from the antibiotics, but the vet said if she doesn't have any other illness symptoms I could take her off them.<snipped>
What antibiotic are you using? If it is Clavamox, every cat (domestic, hybrid cat, or exotic), that, I ever owned had HORRIBLE diarrhea from it. In the case of one domestic and my F1 Bengal, that, was the only medicine to do it! Glad to hear Poppy is on the mend
. Some more
, just to be safe

Last edited:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What antibiotic are you using? If it is Clavamox, every cat (domestic, hybrid cat, or exotic), that, I ever owned had HORRIBLE diarrhea from it. In the case of one domestic and my F1 Bengal, that, was the only medicine to do it! Glad to hear Poppy is on the mend
. Some more
, just to be safe
Poppy got diarrhea AND vomitting last year from Clavamox (treatment for UTI). So I requested something different and got Orbax. With Orbax it was a 10-day treatment and she didn't get diarrhea until day 5 (day 2 or 3 with Clavamox). She did NOT get vomitting on Orbax.

Thanks again for the healthy wishes, I am sure they help because Poppy has a big appetite of late!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poppy got diarrhea AND vomitting last year from Clavamox (treatment for UTI). So I requested something different and got Orbax. With Orbax it was a 10-day treatment and she didn't get diarrhea until day 5 (day 2 or 3 with Clavamox). She did NOT get vomitting on Orbax.

Thanks again for the healthy wishes, I am sure they help because Poppy has a big appetite of late!
Glad all is going well for Poppy
. I will keep Orbax, in mind, should, one of my domestics need it for a UTI, Clavamox, gave my DLH diarrhea in about 24 hours. Some more
so that way, Poppy, keeps feeling good

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again, Cat Person! Poppy continues to do well. She is back on her normal food after 3-4 days of only eating the smelliest stuff I could find (Friskies). Instead of taking her off Orbax I realized I wasn't thinking. Poppy was getting treated for constipation, so I just reduced the amount of her constipation medication for the time being. When she would accept it, I reintroduced pumpkin. Tonight she had very soft but not diarrhetic poop. She has one Orbax pill left, then I'll wait a few days to see if she stands up at the front of the box. So far, she hasn't.

Come to think of it, Poppy didn't want to eat turkey flavored food before she got sick, but I can't place the exact time. She did reject beef flavored food a couple months ago, so all I thought was, "Oh, no! I hope she isn't becoming even more picky!" But I wonder if that was an early sign of illness? She ate turkey flavor tonight no problem.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again, Cat Person! Poppy continues to do well.

Yay and
!

She is back on her normal food after 3-4 days of only eating the smelliest stuff I could find (Friskies). Instead of taking her off Orbax I realized I wasn't thinking. Poppy was getting treated for constipation, so I just reduced the amount of her constipation medication for the time being. When she would accept it, I reintroduced pumpkin. Tonight she had very soft but not diarrhetic poop.

I am glad that, Poppy, is doing so much better

She has one Orbax pill left, then I'll wait a few days to see if she stands up at the front of the box. So far, she hasn't.

Good good

Come to think of it, Poppy didn't want to eat turkey flavored food before she got sick, but I can't place the exact time. She did reject beef flavored food a couple months ago, so all I thought was, "Oh, no! I hope she isn't becoming even more picky!"

Sounds like, many, of the pure domestics, that, I have owned over the years

But I wonder if that was an early sign of illness?

I doubt it highly. Though, I will be the first to admit, that, I worried far more about my exotic cat hybrids (F1 Bengal and F3 Savannah) and my pure exotic (male African Serval), when they where all alive, then, any of my pure domestics.

She ate turkey flavor tonight no problem.

Well, I would just be happy, that, Poppy is back to eating like "normal". Okay, as normal as, a domestic cat ever eats

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Poppy finished her last antibiotic pill on Sunday night. She has not peed and stood up towards the front of the box since a few days before I took her to the vet for the GI infection, about 2.5 weeks now. She went through a period of being very hungry while on the Orbax. Now she isn't as hungry, but still has a good appetite. She reminds me about feeding times if I'm late. Towards the end of the Orbax her poop got a little hard. I think it was because when the Orbax gave her diarrhea, she was not getting rid of hairballs. I've given her egg yolk lethicin, some Petromalt, and a tiny bit more Miralax. Yesterday there were some relatively large hairballs in her poop, and today her poop was soft, so hopefully she is over the "hump" and will go back to soft poop.

Thanks, Cat Person for your support and get well wishes! I'm sure Poppy's excellent progress must've been at least in part due to the good kitty wishes!

So I guess the lesson here is that odd behavior in one area might a sign of illness in a different area. So if you can't figure out strange behavior, see if there are other signs and familiarize yourself with your kitty's unique, unspoken "language."

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear that Poppy is doing and feeling better. That is a good lesson for all of us pet guardians.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
<snipped>Thanks, Cat Person for your support and get well wishes! I'm sure Poppy's excellent progress must've been at least in part due to the good kitty wishes!<snipped>

I am glad, that, Poppy is doing better and thank you, for the kind words
. I still think, the Orbax was more helpful then my good kitty wishes and "support"
!

So I guess the lesson here is that odd behavior in one area might a sign of illness in a different area. So if you can't figure out strange behavior, see if there are other signs and familiarize yourself with your kitty's unique, unspoken "language."

I wish, EVERYONE, would get that lesson from owning a sick pet!!!!!!!!!!!!