Cat spraying and leaving the garden suddenly?

Melorin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
we have 8 cats. Lancelot, the problem cat, is our second one.
He's been spraying a little since Christmas, maybe like once a week, at the same time our close neighbor got a kitten. The kitten is indoor/outdoor cat and is often in our garden.
The neigbor went to America for a month and we're currently taking care of him. That's when the problems begun. After 3 days of the kitten being here, Lancelot started spraying everywhere, sometimes up to 5 times a day. There are some places he prefers-the door that leads to the outside, the nightstand underneath the window and my favorite-a specific corner of the kitchen counter. But he also sprays other places.
The kitten is, well, a kitten. He very much disturbs Lancelot and Lancelot very obviously hates him. The kitten is also quite dominant. The thing is, he never had any problem with other cats, even with kittens.
As I said, he's our second cat ever and he's accepted all of the 6 cats we adopted after him. When it comes to his social standing I would say he's quite low, because, for whatever reason, he never fights back. Mind you, he's a huge cat. One of the cats bullying Lancelot stopped, because he's a smart boi and we taught him not to. Pidin, however, is an autistic little shit who doesn't understand social interactions whatsoever and stopping him from bullying anyone is an impossible task unless we want to lose both of our arms, so he still bullies Lancelot sometimes. But other than that, there never was a problem, the problems started only after Christmas. Pidin was the third cat btw, so I doubt he's the problem.
The worst problem is that Lancelot started leaving our garden. They're all indoor cats, but we have a tiny garden with high walls, and so we let them go there, usually under surveillance. It is, however, possible to leave the garden if they want to, but we taught them not to, and all 8 of them respect it and have no desire to leave.
Probably a week ago, 4 days after the kitten started to temporarily live here, he started to leave. The kitten is still being let out and can roam around the neighborhood if he wants to, so maybe Lancelot saw he can leave and tried it himself? But I don't think that's the case, because the kitten visited our garden and left pretty much since Christmas, and Lancelot never cared, never tried to imitate him.
I can tell Lancelot is very anxious. He gets easily angry, annoyed. He wasn't like that before. There's only a week left before the kitten goes back home, but we're pretty desperate when it comes to the spraying. He sprayed on the microwave, coffee maker and other very hard to clean places.
The leaving also terrifies me. I think he's leaving because he's feeling anxious, possibly because of the kitten? I don't know. There are roads all around the house, we've lived here for 3 years and 2 neighbors cats we knew got run over. Plus there are dogs and Lancelot is not afraid of them-we have a doggo, that's why.
We've been to the vet a month back with his pee and he's healthy.
At this point mom's been thinking he's just too unhappy to live here and we should re home him, but he's 5 years old already and very prone to stress.
What do you think?

Attachments

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Edit: It seems I read to fast and just imagined that the OP said the cat wasn't neutered. So disregard the rest unless he is intact.

My understanding is that male cats can start spraying at any time, any age, for no particular reason, and that once they start, they rarely stop. Maybe the kitten had something to do with it, maybe it didn't.

You could try neutering now, but there is no guarranty that will stop it now that its started.

Sorry. But intact males are for breeders, not indoor or even indoor/outdoor pets. You just got lucky it took so long to start happening.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you're right...the kitten is the issue. As for the peeing everywhere, what's a cat to do? Not only is the barbarian at the gate, YOU'VE LET THE LITTLE UPSTART INTO THE CASTLE! He's telling the kitten very firmly, "MINE!" I'm reasonably certain this will calm down again. Lancelot needs to be neutered, if he is not already. That will help, to some degree, although it will take time. I'm really hoping that he is already neutered, and this is anxiety over the kitten. As A ArtNJ says, results of neutering after this becomes a habit are not as good as they are before the fact.

Also, you need to get a good enzymatic cleaner and a black light. Cat pee will fluoresce under a black light, so you'll be able to find all the spots, and know when you've cleaned them thoroughly. It MUST be an enzymatic cleaner, or he (and the rest of the crew) will smell that spot and be attracted back to it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with the replies:)

Once the people who own the kitten get it spayed /neutered that should help as well (you may want to mention that ).

In the meanwhile try some introduction techniques since this kitten will presumably continue to enter your / Lancelot's garden. Also try some over the counter calming products (probably don't use plugin pheromone types, those can actually make things worse sometimes).

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Melorin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We tried plug-in pheromones, and yeap, it made it worse. We'll try to look into something different..

Melorin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
we have 8 cats. Lancelot, the problem cat, is our second one.
He's been spraying a little since Christmas, maybe like once a week, at the same time our close neighbor got a kitten. The kitten is indoor/outdoor cat and is often in our garden.
The neigbor went to America for a month and we're currently taking care of him. That's when the problems begun. After 3 days of the kitten being here, Lancelot started spraying everywhere, sometimes up to 5 times a day. There are some places he prefers-the door that leads to the outside, the nightstand underneath the window and my favorite-a specific corner of the kitchen counter. But he also sprays other places.
The kitten is, well, a kitten. He very much disturbs Lancelot and Lancelot very obviously hates him. The kitten is also quite dominant. The thing is, he never had any problem with other cats, even with kittens.
As I said, he's our second cat ever and he's accepted all of the 6 cats we adopted after him. When it comes to his social standing I would say he's quite low, because, for whatever reason, he never fights back. Mind you, he's a huge cat. One of the cats bullying Lancelot stopped, because he's a smart boi and we taught him not to. Pidin, however, is an autistic little shit who doesn't understand social interactions whatsoever and stopping him from bullying anyone is an impossible task unless we want to lose both of our arms, so he still bullies Lancelot sometimes. But other than that, there never was a problem, the problems started only after Christmas. Pidin was the third cat btw, so I doubt he's the problem.
The worst problem is that Lancelot started leaving our garden. They're all indoor cats, but we have a tiny garden with high walls, and so we let them go there, usually under surveillance. It is, however, possible to leave the garden if they want to, but we taught them not to, and all 8 of them respect it and have no desire to leave.
Probably a week ago, 4 days after the kitten started to temporarily live here, he started to leave. The kitten is still being let out and can roam around the neighborhood if he wants to, so maybe Lancelot saw he can leave and tried it himself? But I don't think that's the case, because the kitten visited our garden and left pretty much since Christmas, and Lancelot never cared, never tried to imitate him.
I can tell Lancelot is very anxious. He gets easily angry, annoyed. He wasn't like that before. There's only a week left before the kitten goes back home, but we're pretty desperate when it comes to the spraying. He sprayed on the microwave, coffee maker and other very hard to clean places.
The leaving also terrifies me. I think he's leaving because he's feeling anxious, possibly because of the kitten? I don't know. There are roads all around the house, we've lived here for 3 years and 2 neighbors cats we knew got run over. Plus there are dogs and Lancelot is not afraid of them-we have a doggo, that's why.
We've been to the vet a month back with his pee and he's healthy.
At this point mom's been thinking he's just too unhappy to live here and we should re home him, but he's 5 years old already and very prone to stress.
What do you think?
I forgot to add that they're both neutered. Oops.

Melorin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try the introduction methods, cat music etc, you may be pleased with the results:)
We've never really had the time to properly introduce them, we're going to try the reintroduction 😄 And try to find something to ease the stress (he's a big fan of catnip, so it might just work)

Melorin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, good on you about the catnip!

Let us know how things progress 😊
Ah, we might actually go to the vet once again, because his pee smells waay too strong, at least compared to our other neutered males. Not sure if it matters, but he was neutered when he was only 3 months old, he had FIP in his stomach and the vet removed the liquid which saved his life and he hasn't had problems with it since (crossing fingers it never comes back, one of our kittens died because of it 😟) Whilst he was doing his stomach, he neutered him .
We only tested for urinary track diseases, mom wants to do blood tests as well..
The kitten is going to spend less time here now, as the neighbor is coming in few days and we have to sometimes bring him back to his house. Not so good news tho, he peed on mom's 40+ plus piano, so that's great. He likes pastes, so today I'm going to buy him one that supposedly relieves stress 😄

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
By all means, have the vet check him. IF he has a UTI, that could cause all sorts of problems. Little things would stress him, and stress can lead to spraying.

Melorin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, not so good news, the vet visit got postponed due to one of her equipment breaking. Supplements to help him relax don't work, because he throws all of them up.
We don't let him outside (our garden) anymore, which most likely doesn't help, since the rest of the gang can go. But he ALWAYS leaves the garden, the neigbors have a dog and he's not afraid of dogs, plus we live right next to a road. It sucks, because during the two years we've lived here he always stayed and could go outside no problem.
Him peeing on the counter, and now into their own water fountain is still a big problem and mom borderline hates him now. She still has to clean stuff up at least 4 times a day.
We're 100% sure his teeth are very bad. He stopped eating kibbles. He's always had a weak stomach, ever since a kitten -throwing up at least 2 times a week, but now he hardly ever chews his food.
We're scheduled, again, for this Tuesday and hopefully we can at least somewhat solve this issue, otherwise mom might go crazy.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There are other types of calming products such as sprays and wipes, and plugins.

I'm not clear, do you have a litterbox for him?

Melorin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are other types of calming products such as sprays and wipes, and plugins.

I'm not clear, do you have a litterbox for him?
We have 10 litterboxes around the house :D
Big update though- he has crystals in his pee (Struvite). Quite a lot, apparently. Blood tests came out nicely-thank god, we wanted to test him since forever, however he's very traumatized from a past vet visit and taking his blood took solid two hours and included putting him to sleep (even when he was fully asleep, he kept fighting against the vet :D )
His pee was still sent to the lab, because of the hightened level of protein.
He got something for his teeth too and a sirup for pain.
Hopefully this will help. We'll see.