Cat Spay Healing Properly?

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there everybody!! I just recently got a barn cat spayed at a low cost spay neuter place Last Wednesday, so it's been 8 days and she developed bruising and a fairly large lump that developed around it. She did good about not licking it, and I kept her inside for 48 hours which is what they advised but it's hard to keep a barn cat calm so she was fairly active when I let her back out. Can anyone tell me if this looks normal? I know it's hard to tell from a picture but I just want some peace of mind!!! She is really a sweet barn cat

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd say I don' like it!
The purple area around the wound is worrisome.
Do you feel it warmer than the rest of her belly?
I don't notice a difference... she's eating, drinking, and defecating normally. She doesn't act like it hurts when I touch it and she's running around the yard like nothing's bothering her... i don't know, am I just being too worried?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd agree that the discoloration is concerning. Most vets are open to patients sending photos with follow up questions. Can you send the photo to your vet for their take?

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd agree that the discoloration is concerning. Most vets are open to patients sending photos with follow up questions. Can you send the photo to your vet for their take?
I took her to a low cost spay-mobile type thing and I don't have a vets number to text... so you guys think it's something serious?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be just bruising in the surrounding area.... Is she wearing a cone? If not, I'd get one on her to keep her from messing with it while it heals. If it doesn't look worse and the discoloration doesn't spread or get redder then it could just be residual bruising. If it gets red, the incision opens up or it starts leaking any fluids or blood she does need to see a vet. You really don't want an infection setting in or having to reopen her incision because those would end up costing more at that point.

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It could be just bruising in the surrounding area.... Is she wearing a cone? If not, I'd get one on her to keep her from messing with it while it heals. If it doesn't look worse and the discoloration doesn't spread or get redder then it could just be residual bruising. If it gets red, the incision opens up or it starts leaking any fluids or blood she does need to see a vet. You really don't want an infection setting in or having to reopen her incision because those would end up costing more at that point.
That's what I was thinking it was... I don't know, it just seems like she's acting fine!!! Ugh

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the bruise spreading at all? I think in hospitals they draw a line around it so they can see if it's getting bigger or smaller, you could try that. Bruises will get smaller. An infection will get bigger. So try drawing a line around it and see what it looks like tomorrow. If it's bigger call your own vet for antibiotics. Some farm vets will let you get antibiotics without seeing the pet, as long as they have an established client relationship with you.

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is the bruise spreading at all? I think in hospitals they draw a line around it so they can see if it's getting bigger or smaller, you could try that. Bruises will get smaller. An infection will get bigger. So try drawing a line around it and see what it looks like tomorrow. If it's bigger call your own vet for antibiotics. Some farm vets will let you get antibiotics without seeing the pet, as long as they have an established client relationship with you.
Would it grow that quickly if it's an infection?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A low level infection may not affect her activity or behavior. Cats are notorious for hiding their illness and acting as if nothing is wrong. My boy didn't even flinch when he had a pin coming out of his leg (surgical pin for a broken leg). If a low level infection isnt properly managed you could be facing a major infection which will cause symptoms. It also will have spread by that point and may have impact on multiple organs.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does not look good, at all. i would take her to the vet as soon as possible. My little white avatar cat almost died from infection and complications from her spay. and she was up eating, playing, running around the whole time, never slowed down. Thats not a good indicator. I think your cat needs to see the vet.
keep us updated, we worry too.

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does not look good, at all. i would take her to the vet as soon as possible. My little white avatar cat almost died from infection and complications from her spay. and she was up eating, playing, running around the whole time, never slowed down. Thats not a good indicator. I think your cat needs to see the vet.
keep us updated, we worry too.
I have a vet appointment for tomorrow at two. That's as soon as I could get in. I will keep you all updated, let's cross our fingers it's nothing

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope so, hopefully she is fine! The way it looks though im really glad you have her an appointment!
let us know how it goes.

charcoal2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope so, hopefully she is fine! The way it looks though im really glad you have her an appointment!
let us know how it goes.
If it is an infection will it just be antibiotics to clear it up?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At this stage, if it is a minor infection starting antibiotics should be able to clear it up.

If it is an infection the vet may put in a drain to allow anything deeper a route out but since it isn't leaking fluids there is a good chance she wouldn't need a drain. If she does, ask your vet if they can do a cloth instead of tube. My vet has used a tear resistant surgical material for a drain instead of tubes and I absolutely love it. Not all vets have access to it or approve of it so it may result in questionable looks or a no but worth a shot.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What Kieka said, minor infection antibiotics alone should be enough.

With my cat she had tissue that was dying as well, she had to have surgery to clean that out, and antibiotics. It will all just depend on what is going on with her, but either way it is best to take her in so you know.

My little girl ended up with 3 different surgeries, and a 2 week vet stay, the vet and i were both afraid we would loose her. Hers was an extreme case, so dont panic. And by the way, my vet is not the one who did the original surgery. I got her from a rescue, and she had been spayed two days before i got her. That vet did not do the best work. :(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What Kieka said, minor infection antibiotics alone should be enough.

With my cat she had tissue that was dying as well, she had to have surgery to clean that out, and antibiotics. It will all just depend on what is going on with her, but either way it is best to take her in so you know.

My little girl ended up with 3 different surgeries, and a 2 week vet stay, the vet and i were both afraid we would loose her. Hers was an extreme case, so dont panic. And by the way, my vet is not the one who did the original surgery. I got her from a rescue, and she had been spayed two days before i got her. That vet did not do the best work. :(
Ouch. Link once got an abscess in his abdomen. Right in his primordial pouch even so it wasn't immediately apparent. My vet said that because of all the fat in that area and how close it is to the internal organs that infections in the abdomen spread incredibly fast. She took him straight into surgery to surgically clean it out, put in a drain and a two week course of antibiotics. Granted, his was more advanced because it took me a few days to notice. Little bugger doesn't show pain for anything; he walked around on a broken leg just a month later. It wasn't even a behavior change that made me notice the abscess, but a lump on his pouch when he laid on the floor. He even let me poke it and touch without flinching at all.

In this case, I lean more toward bruising still. But, if there is infection setting in it is better to get it taken care of quickly and seeing a vet is always the wisest course of action when in doubt. I would be seeing the vet too. Hopefully, it is still minor enough that antibiotics will clear it right up.