Cat spat...

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two cats. Nylo is a four year old male, and Phoenix is a two year old female. Phoenix has lived with us for about two years now...we got her as a kitten. From the start, Nylo has been very welcoming. However, earlier today, Nylo was lying on the arm of the couch, nearly asleep, when Phoenix came up and sniffed his paw. Nylo swatted at her...Phoenix walked away with no issue. Is it common for cats to have little spats like this? I'm probably overthinking things...just want to stay on top of it.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
It's perfectly normal for cats to swat at each other when they don't want to be bothered. Since it is new behavior, however, you might want to watch Nylo to see if it keeps up or gets worse. Personality changes might indicate an underlying medical issue and call for a visit to the vet. As it is, however, an occasional spat is nothing to worry about.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
My rule is if there is no aggression beyond the warning shot I stay out of it. Your cat said stop it and the other cat did. Mook our 5 year old has bopped the 4 month old on the head a few times. Baby backs off and Mook doesn't pursue it.

Hint, keep their front nails trimmed.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
It's perfectly normal for cats to swat at each other when they don't want to be bothered. Since it is new behavior, however, you might want to watch Nylo to see if it keeps up or gets worse. Personality changes might indicate an underlying medical issue and call for a visit to the vet. As it is, however, an occasional spat is nothing to worry about.
Good advice.  

We have three cats who were raised together, all six years old now.  Generally they get along great (we call them the 3 Amigos)
but even so, they get in spats sometimes.   

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the great responses everyone. I appreciate it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The rule of thumb is, "no fur, no foul."  Yes, spats are totally normal.  Sometimes things just need to be said, and the language isn't always pretty.  Let this be your mantra, "It's a cat thing, it's a cat thing, it's a cat thing..."