Cat sneezing and calicivirus

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My one cat was diagnosed with calicivirus and the vet said it's 99 percent likely they both have it. He gave me meds to treat both cats (doxycyclne for 14 days).

Recently one of my cats has been sneezing. I'm talking about 20 times or more a day today.

I made a vet appointment for tomorrow but I'm curious if I should wait a day or 2. She's eating and playing and going to the bathroom regularly.

It's been very cold and dry in nj. I bought a humidifier but I live in an apartment so I'm curious if the dust/dander in the vents could be causing the sneezing as opposed to the virus.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
How long has she been on the medicine? It might be that it will take a few days to see results. If you're unsure whether or not to keep the appointment I would suggest calling your vet and asking their opinion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheflife15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long has she been on the medicine? It might be that it will take a few days to see results. If you're unsure whether or not to keep the appointment I would suggest calling your vet and asking their opinion.
She finished the meds, 14 days. She never fully got rid of the sneeze but it was less then now. She's had 2 sneezing fits today but it seemed to calm down in the last few hours. I can't figure it out!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your cats vaccinated for calicivirus?
If yes, it is possible they already had it before the vaccination, like my older cat.
My vet said that it might be dormant for months or years, then it can show up anytime. Hopefully the antibiotic can keep the symptoms at bay.