Cat Smells Like Poop . Smells So Bad . What To Do

Fatdream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was gone for a week but another person at my house fed and cleaned her .

I came back today and she smells like poop. Her litter box was pretty clean since I left her multiple box and the girl scooped it. She been eating fine. No sign of diarrhea. But she just smells like poop and it gets worst near her anus . The anus is fairly clean, it looks a little too pink and slightly irritated but nothing as bad as swollen cat anus pictures I saw online

Is this usually a sign a cat needing expression done ? Because I can just take her to the humane center and get an expression done ? Or is this likely something worst . I can afford an anal expression. But I can’t afford a vet visit cuz they are expensive and on top of that I’ll still have to pay for them to do the anal expression. Do you think it’s okay to just go to the humane shelter ?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you seen her poop since you have come back home?
Was her poop fine as usual?

How sure you are that the person who took care of her has done the cleaning properly?
The girl could have scooped the litter only on the day before you came home to make you see she's been good at doing her job. The litter could have been left dirty for days and the cat took the smell of the litter.
I tell you this from a direct experience.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d clean her feet. She was probably walking on her feces in the litter box. Also some cats sleep in the litter box when they are stressed. Your absence may have stressed her and had her do this. She’ll eventually clean up herself if you don’t. Pet wipes should help. It doesn’t sound like she needs any glands expressed that’s a different smell.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fatdream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her smell went away this morning. How is that possible when she smelled so bad last night. She smells like her sweet self now . What do you think is more likely ? She sleeping in the litter box ? Or her litter was dirty until the last day ? Next time I’m paying for a drop in visit . Just in case

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sleeping in her dirty litter is an option. It can happen, but I only saw this behaviour in cats at the clinics, when they are held for the night.
My current cat did it on her first night at home, but she had never seen a litter tray before, so I think she just liked the "new toy".

Did your home smell bad when you came back?

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe she had some poopy in her tail? Glad she's smelling fresh this morning!
Maybe set up a camera when you go away next time so you can check in thru your phone just to be sure that everything is on the up and up.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FYI, you can express the anal glands yourself to save money :2cents: Ask the vet to show you how to do it. There are also videos and articles online on how to do it.