Cat Sleeping Too Much But Still Eats

vthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have become worried about my cat. I got her from the animal control center which means she did not get the same care as in a shelter. When she arrived she was active, jumping (when she shouldn’t), scratching around and what not. I should note that the animal control neutered her and gave her to me two days after the procedure. Now she spends her time sleeping and sleeping. She gets up to eat and drink water or use the litter then back to her bed. She would wake up to switch to a new spot. She does not vomit the food or has diarrhea. I noticed her limping in a way.

I even thought she had hairballs because I saw her retching so I bought special food to help her.

I have a cousin who’s a vet. I called him to let him know what’s going on. He told me that she is probably going through hormonal changes. Or she’s getting used to her new home. But she was fine the first weeks of being brought home. He just pointed out that it would have been more concerning if she did not eat. I wanted to take her to him but he lives 40 mins away.

Instead, I took her to a vet that was 5 mins away. I made sure to check the reviews and it sounded like a good vet. The vet checked her and told her what’s been going on. She checked my cat and her lungs and heart sound fine. Her ears are okay too. Nothing physically wrong. I just told her about the slight limp. She mentioned about getting her tested for FIV. So I have to come back for further appts to get her tested. Basically nothing was done on the visit except for getting my cat some medicine for the limping.

I am hoping she injured her leg instead of some type of illness. I’m worried about her. The vet will see her in 8 days.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She might have sprained her ankle or knee jumping down from the furniture if she is limping. Does the leg feel warm around the joints? That would indicate inflammation. My cat Loki recently hurt his back leg jumping off of furniture, and I'm sure it slowed him down a bit. I didn't notice him sleeping more. But he tends to hang out in the part of the house where the dog isn't and I'm usually in the family room with the dog. But he came to the kitchen for every meal and ate normally, I just noticed that when he met me in the back hall that he was limping a little. I'm surprised he doesn't injure himself more often. He doesn't see well, due to concussions that he gave himself as a kitten running into walls and doors. He has cerebellar hyperplasia and gets around very well except once he gets going, stopping is a problem. Anyway, he just throws himself off the beds, like a little kamikaze cat. I wince when he does it. But he always lands fine on the ground. Except for that time recently. I dunno how he did it, I just noticed his slight limp. He's totally fine now, by the way.

How does the incision look on her belly? Did the vet run any bloodwork to check for infection internally? If not, I would take her back for that.

Last edited:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi vthecat and welcome to the forum!

...nothing was done on the visit except for getting my cat some medicine for the limping.
Exactly what is this medicine (from either the label or your invoice)....what are the directions......and, what is your understanding about how this medicine is supposed to 'work' ?

The animal control center may have tested her for some things....so, I suggest you get in touch with them, ask what testing may have been done, and arrange to pick up a paper copy of her medical file. You are entitled to this, so don't be dissuaded.

There are two feline viral diseases that are commonly tested for.....one is FIV, and the other Feline Leukemia. Testing for these takes a maximum of 20 minutes. Neither would be the cause of a limp in a young, otherwise healthy cat.

I wonder if you might have been better served by traveling to your friend's practice.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Now old is your cat? Adult cats spend a lot of time sleeping. She might have been extra alert for a week or two because she was in an unfamiliar place and is sleeping now that she feels safe.

I agree with white shadow white shadow that we need to know what medication the vet gave you and what it’s supposed to treat.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaman and Treasure being outdoor cats former feral, used to be on high alert even after I domesticated them. They would go into high alert if I even opened the door to come outside. Now 2 months later they feel content enough that I can literally step over them without them running off because they know they're safe. And cats do spend a large majority of their lives sleeping lol