cat sitting at the top of the stairs

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The solution is to keep a glass of water next to the bed and remember she's on the top step, because your cat is going to sit wherever she wants.

You could try placing a cat bed or box nearby and seeing if she'll sleep in that instead. Do you have any high shelves she could sit on? She probably feels powerful being at the top of the steps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zippo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The solution is to keep a glass of water next to the bed and remember she's on the top step, because your cat is going to sit wherever she wants.

You could try placing a cat bed or box nearby and seeing if she'll sleep in that instead. Do you have any high shelves she could sit on? She probably feels powerful being at the top of the steps.
​she has a bed in every room, that she will go to great pains to avoid being in when the mood strikes her as you can see haha

there's like a little window on the stairs that looks down into the hall that she likes to sit on and watch when someone's answering the door or she's waiting for somebody to come back.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
zippo,

Just as what R-kins said but just want to add one or two more things.. Besides the glass of water, you can leave a pitcher of water too. The other thing is put a night light at the top of the stairs. It's not very bright kind of light but bright enough to light up the space at the top of the stairs and you can see your kitty lying there.
I leave a night light in my room too, so that I don't accidentally step or kick my boy if is get up. He sleeps on my bed.

zippo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
zippo,

Just as what R-kins said but just want to add one or two more things.. Besides the glass of water, you can leave a pitcher of water too. The other thing is put a night light at the top of the stairs. It's not very bright kind of light but bright enough to light up the space at the top of the stairs and you can see your kitty lying there.
I leave a night light in my room too, so that I don't accidentally step or kick my boy if is get up. He sleeps on my bed.
I have to lock my cat out of the room while i sleep or i'll get a 4am wakeup call of having my face batted to play >.

zippo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its cut my comment off - i said i have to lock mine out my room while i sleep or ill get a 4am wakeup to play haha

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

​she has a bed in every room, that she will go to great pains to avoid being in when the mood strikes her as you can see haha

there's like a little window on the stairs that looks down into the hall that she likes to sit on and watch when someone's answering the door or she's waiting for somebody to come back.
Ha ha, spoiled rotten.

Yep, I agree with the night light because she's going to sit by those stairs. It sounds like you go downstairs pretty frequently in the middle of the night, so maybe she knows it's a path you travel and wants some attention. My parents' cat sits in the middle of living room between the hallway, kitchen, and sitting area so you have to pass him if you're going anywhere and he gets talked to and petted.

zippo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ha ha, spoiled rotten.

Yep, I agree with the night light because she's going to sit by those stairs. It sounds like you go downstairs pretty frequently in the middle of the night, so maybe she knows it's a path you travel and wants some attention. My parents' cat sits in the middle of living room between the hallway, kitchen, and sitting area so you have to pass him if you're going anywhere and he gets talked to and petted.
Yerh im not great at sleeping so i'm forever waking up and going for water or whatever
She tends to get up and follow my heels once i'm past her and generally try and headbutt me into playing while im downstairs
They pick their moments don't they!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It's pretty normal to wake up at 4am. My boy wakes up at 4am too and ask to be let out and he'll come back in at 5am and wake me up again to feed him :lol3:

It's better to have the night light so that you can see her and don't step on her.

At least she dosen't make noise being locked outside the room.

Get those led ones, it saves electricity and it's not hot to touch.

zippo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll grab one of those plug in leds when im next out so theres no wires to mess with
She does make noise but i'd sleep through an earthquake haha
Theres nothing like being ambushed as you go the bathroom still half asleep - terrifying