Cat Sitter Daily Or Every Other Day?

drmroth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm heading out of town and want to hire someone to come in and visit with my little ones. I will leave them with enough food and water and they have 2 very large litter boxes, do you think it would be ok for a sitter to come in every other day instead of daily?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just out of curiosity how long are you planning to be gone? The reason I asked is because if it's a day or two it would probably be ok. However, I would recommend having a pet sitter visit at least once a day to not only clean the litter box, replenish the food and water but also play and interact with the kitties. If we have to travel or be away from home which isn't too often we actually have a pet sitter visit twice a day. But then we are a bit over protective about our cat. :wink:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is safer to have someone come by every day, because if anything happened, they could attend to it or call you right away. Although rare, there are certain things that can happen and be life threatening if not handled immediately.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My answer depends on how long you will be away and when you will return. Things happen. My 2 are older and on meds so I need someone twice daily (I actually just have a house sitter who stays here. It's simpler.) at a minimum because of my girl's medications. Even when they were younger there have been times they got into things they normally didn't. (RIP chili pepper trivet. :p)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Adding on, get your pet sitter to come over a few times and stay and play with your kitty way before you leave so that your cat can get use to the pet sitter. Rather than after you leave, the next day, a stranger, to the cat, opens the door and enter, that may freak out your cat and she might not eat and will be weary.

Best is pet sitter come at least twice a day, clean litter box, change of water, replace food if she's fed dry and play with kitty. Also you may want to leave one or two unwashed clothings with your scent and leave it where she use to lay down. This will help her know that no stranger is taking over and your scent will calm her down. If possible, do face time with your kitty when the pet sitter is there.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Adding on, get your pet sitter to come over a few times and stay and play with your kitty way before you leave so that your cat can get use to the pet sitter. Rather than after you leave, the next day, a stranger, to the cat, opens the door and enter, that may freak out your cat and she might not eat and will be weary.

Best is pet sitter come at least twice a day, clean litter box, change of water, replace food if she's fed dry and play with kitty. Also you may want to leave one or two unwashed clothings with your scent and leave it where she use to lay down. This will help her know that no stranger is taking over and your scent will calm her down. If possible, do face time with your kitty when the pet sitter is there.
I think we've reached the point where it's more than reasonable to see a short video of each cat from your sitter. It's not out of anyone's reach to do a basic background search on the person they're handing the keys to either. Most people have some kind of online social media. Check it out.
One other thing. If they are a business leave an honest online review for the next person.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think we've reached the point where it's more than reasonable to see a short video of each cat from your sitter. It's not out of anyone's reach to do a basic background search on the person they're handing the keys to either. Most people have some kind of online social media. Check it out.
One other thing. If they are a business leave an honest online review for the next person.
Yes, a responsible sitter with experience and with good reviews will be good.