Cat Shaking Head And Loosing Weight

Jenniey90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi.

This is my first time posting so please be gentle with me and sorry if I waffle.

Little over a week ago I took my cat to the vets for her flea and worm treatment and the vet commented that she had lost a bit of weight since the last time she had been. I didn’t think much of it as it had been a 3 month period and the vet didn’t seemed bothered by it either. We went on a little holiday end of last week for 3 days and the neighbour was looking after the cat while we were away and the had messaged to say that she hadn’t seen the cat but obviously there was sign that the cat was there. Again I didn’t panic as she isn’t the most sociable of cats and not your typical “lap cat”. Came home and instantly noticed that she looked and felt skinny. I could also tell she was clearly miffed off that we had gone away for the 3 days but after a while she became her usual sassy self. However since being home she has completely stopped eating her dry food but still wanting her meat, which she usually has at nighttime. No matter what I do I can’t for the life of me get her to have any dried food. I’ve changed the brand, tried adding it to the meat, tried swapping the times around, changed bowls. Nada! I’ve also noticed she has started doing this weird head shake and scratching at her ear more. She doesn’t seem to be in any pain it jut seems to be annoying her more than anything.

Should I admit defeat with the dried food and give her an only wet food diet? Should I also be concerned about the head shaking? Are the two likely to be connected or if is just coincidence?

Thanks in advance!

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, feed her as much wet food as she will eat. However, I don’t think this is just a “picky eater” issue. You have to address the weight loss. She needs another vet visit, a thorough exam and maybe some tests. Maybe she has a sore tooth and finds dry food painful to eat or maybe she has a GI issue and her appetite is decreased because her tummy hurts or is upset. It could be a lot of things, only a vet work up will sort them out.

Good luck with your cat. What’s her name? Please keep us updated on how she does.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I agree, feed her the foods she will eat. Not just meat, but canned cat food.
The head shaking needs to be looked at, it could be an ear issue or something else but you don't want to wait with this.
Let us know how things go!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenniey90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both. Her name is Tabby :)I will book her into the vets on Monday. Our vets are quite new so busy at the moment.

I given her some wet food and counted out (sad I know) some biscuits to see if she had ate any but doesn’t even look like she’s touched them. Luckily she’s still using her litter tray and she’s still herself if not a bit more friendly.

Thanks again

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if your cat is thin, just feed her lots of whatever food she'll eat. she may have tooth pain, and the important thing is to keep her strength up.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
counted out (sad I know) some biscuits to see if she had ate any but doesn’t even look like she’s touched them
Not at all, this is smart as it gives you a way to more easily monitor what is happening with her.
I'm sending you TONS of good wishes!!!

Jenniey90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tabby is booked in for the morning. She’s not even touching her meat either much today. Worried is an understatement now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:vibes::redheartpump:
Do you have any tuna, or sardines? Can you make some kitten glop? There are recipes on the internet, or even give her one or two of the ingredients?

Jenniey90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:vibes::redheartpump:
Do you have any tuna, or sardines? Can you make some kitten glop? There are recipes on the internet, or even give her one or two of the ingredients?
Tuna seems to be a a winner, mushed it up a bit and she seemed to enjoy it. Fingers crossed it stays down. Never heard of kitten glop. Researched it and we don’t have some of the ingredients in the uk for it. Thank you though

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm betting she broke a tooth or has something stuck in her mouth. That is my immediate thought when I hear about head shaking & not eating. Sounds like a mouth problem. I would ask the vet to take a careful look in the mouth when you go in tomorrow. Good luck!! I hope it's something simple and easy

Jenniey90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m starting to think it’s a dental issue too now she’s ate the tuna. The poor vet that’s got to try and look in her mouth haha.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitten just recently knocked out his left, upper canine fang. He must have been chewing something & forcefully knocked or pulled it out. It was hanging on to his gum by a thread. I only noticed because he was shaking his head continuously. I knew the head shaking was a mouth issue & that's when i saw he knocked out his tooth

Jenniey90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Been to the vets and Tabby’s ears are clean, teeth are all healthy and has actually gained a little bit of weight. However that is mainly down to the fact she is very constipated due to hairballs. The vet is certain that us going away for a couple of days had caused her to excessively groom which she’s having difficulty in pooping out. Poor thing is on a paste medication for the fur balls and lactulose for the constipation. Feel loads better now we have a diagnosis!