Cat Seems Fine Other Than Can't Keep Down Dry Food.

marah1115

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 6 mos ago my cat Livvy had vomiting but so did my other 2 cats ...So vet gave her a shot for nausea and some anti nausea pills and sent her home and finally she was able to keep down food...Fast forward to currently. She has been vomiting again mostly dry food (which she seems to prefer over wet that I once in a while feed to try to see if she'd switch over) She seems to be quite fine other than the not being able to keep down the dry..At first it was a lot now it is more intermittently. When she first did it this time, I took her off food to give her stomach a rest for a bit giving her broth and I also sneaked in some pure pumpkin.She'd been on Purina Beyond and I remembered that might have been the food from before that made her sick? ...I switched her to Purina vibrate maturity I know she doesn't get along well on Good life recipe (I think those colors always made her throw up) I bought them some hairball remedy as well but been giving that only every few days (as directions stated 2 or 3 times a week)... Livvy's poop has always been pretty hard and dry sometimes kinda small for such a big cat...Once we came home to a huge mess in the middle of our living room ( very gross and very unusual and no way of telling who did it) Today I found I had a mess on my shoe don't know how it got there or anything but it was (of course gross) soft and messy...I know I should probably head to the vet but I just wanted to see if any of you have had similar experiences and what it was.... She really does seem fine other wise I think she still goes pee and poo and still plays and eats (but sometimes throws up).... Could she have a super sensitive stomach or something? I do tend to change their food now and then. They had been on Rachael Ray Salmon and brown rice and they seemed to like it but seemed to be growing tired of it . My other cat has been ok....(I lost my beautiful, huge,long-haired black cat pictured with me in December he had diabetes for almost 3 yrs; we actually think it was Feline acromegaly. I loved him tremendously and took it very hard. ) Any ideas appreciated....

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Jasmine is on one can (3 oz.) of food per day, divided into two meals, with dry food to graze on in between. I've noticed that on those occasions when she decides that she doesn't like the day's flavor of canned food and eats only the dry food she throws up, and except for hair balls this is the only time she ever throws up. When she gets adequate canned food the kibble seems to digest okay, however.

My feeling is that dry food is inherently irritating to the stomach, but it's just a feeling. I note that there are dry foods available that say they're for cats with "sensitive" stomachs, so it's presumably possible to make dry foods that aren't irritating; you might want to try one of those.

Margret

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vomiting and hard stools could be constipation. Cats evolved in the desert so their bodies are designed to get the bulk of their hydration from their food sources. Feeding kibble, it can be difficult to get a cat to drink enough water to stay hydrated. Preferring kibble can be a sign of nausea - much like we instinctively crave crackers for an upset stomach. Restoring electrolyte balance can help - you could add some unflavored pedialyte to broth and get her to drink that. Or offer Gerber stage 2 baby food - there is beef, turkey and chicken (some cats have trouble digesting chicken and peas); with a little pedialyte or water is even better. Sometimes the vet (or doctor, for humans with IBS/IBD) will recommend Miralax or lactulose or fiber but extra water consumption is essential for those treatments to work.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is something in the dry food I would try a food with a novel protein. All the foods you mention have poultry and that seems to be a common culprit when it comes to food related problems. At least in my informal survey of people who report problems, eliminate poultry and then report no/fewer problems. I know in my home, going poultry free had a drastic impact on our boy who vomited frequently. That they did better on the salmon and rice, which is lower chicken content, would support the theory.

I'd recommend trying Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea. I believe that is the lowest cost non-poultry dry food out there that is at most pet stores. I do Natures Variety LID Rabbit along with a mix of other brands (depending on sale) but my mix is a little more expensive. Only Natural Pet has a store brand that is non-chicken but does have turkey, its worth a shot and is cheaper then Natural Balance but my household is no poultry so that one didn't work for us (the only who had no problems with chicken was projectile vomit with turkey so yeah, no poultry). The other problem with non-poultry is a lot of them are fish based so that is why I mix mine up. One fish then two non-fish so my cats aren't fish overloaded and my wallet isn't killed because non-fish and non-poultry tend to be more expensive.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Marah, I had a cat a few years ago that seemed to always vomit up her dry food and sometimes foamy stomach acid. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, then she started to lose weight and it turned out she had kidney disease. My vet told me kidney cats tend to vomit a lot because their stomachs produce more acid.
I would suggest you first get the cat off dry food. I know it's very easy and convenient for us to dump it into the bowl and the cats always like it, but it's not always the best. That's probably why the stools are so hard, too. Dry stools generally mean not enough water in the GI tract.

I got my current cat off dry food for several years and onto canned food. I had to do the tough love thing and refuse to give her dry. After about a day and a half of turning her nose up, she caved in and ate. Now I give her half dry and half wet. A good dry food for us is Royal Canin Hairball formula. She is no longer constipated and she likes it. But I do give her half a can of Fancy Feast a day along with it.

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that did this only when eating the food he *liked most* because he ate/scarfed that food way too quickly. Never happened with food he sort of was okay with. It took me almost a year to understand this pattern.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Take a look at these articles, hopefully there's something that will help. Also, a couple other toppers/enticements that can work are bonito flakes and fortiflora.
The bottom line is that you should try and find a couple of dry foods and a couple of wet foods that don't upset her tummy. You'll need to look at the ingredient lists and by elimination figure out what works, what doesn't and what your cats will eat. It will take some time, but hopefully the end result is avoiding illness and vet trips.

18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members
Raw Feeding Cats: Types Of Raw Diets & Feeding Options
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again
Top 5 Brands Of Wet Cat Food Our Members Love The Most

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

marah1115

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you ALL so much for you help and replies!! I got some hairball remedy and I started giving her only a few pieces at a time working her back up to a meal...I also watched her eat because I think possibly the other cat or the dog or both were taking her food So maybe she was scarfing it down too fast...At any rate ALL is Well knock wood now with my Livvy! I am so glad!