Cat Secondary Hip Cancer

Cocora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

My 14 years old beautiful cat was diagnosed with mammary cancer 6 months ago. She had a tumour removed and the vet said it was silly to try to remove all her breasts because they found cancer cells spread. So she said she would live between 6 months and a year. 3 months later a new tumour appeared, so they did palliative surgery for that and removed several other growths that might grow too (we choose to do it because that tumour was painful for her). At that time, before the surgery, they took x-rays and they found the cancer contained in the mammary area only, so after surgery we started a light treatment of chemo to try to slow tumours growth. When I took her home after the second surgery, she was limping (she didn't had limp before) in one of her hinder legs. I asked the vet about this, and she said she was sore after the surgery because they removed a lymph there. The limp became more pronounced over 3 weeks, and yesterday I took her for her second chemo course and the vet saw she had lost completely the muscle in that leg. So she took x-rays again and found out that the cancer had metastasised to her hip bone, eating away the right side of the hip in ONLY 3 weeks. I don't understand how this happens. 3 weeks only, and she was already limping when she come home right after the surgery. How can this be??
Nos she's with strong painkillers, and I'm afraid I have to finally let her go in a few days. I'm devastated...

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry. It is just crushing to deal with a life threatening illness in your cat. I have been there and the decision of how much you put them through is so difficult. You can only hold them, treasure the time that you have left with them and let your heart and them tell you when the right time to let them go.

katlady-18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any answers, I'm just so sorry that you and your kitty have to go through this. Every time I read about cases of cancer and so many other complicated, horrible diseases on this site I wish our furry companions weren't prone to many of the same illnesses people are. Sorry again, I truly mean that.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Put yourself in her place. Would you like to go now or not? Does keeping her alive benefit you or her? Pain all the time cant be good.

You could see a different vet tho. Second opinion?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cocora

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your sympathy. She has reached the end of her beautiful journey, crossing oceans around the world with me. I'm taking her today to the vet to let her go in peace. She battled fiercely, but her pain is too much for her now. Thank you.

katlady-18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry. :grouphug: Thank you for giving her peace. Even though it rips our hearts out, we must do what is best for them. :sunshine:

Tanyas68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
B9BE5086-4EC2-4198-A9F5-C02B959552E8.jpeg
I feel your pain
My baby girl a rescue cat who chose me after 3 years as a ferel cat she was spayed after I rescued her at 3years old numerous litters and developed sadly developed mammary cancer.. my vet was super quick and she had her right side strip of mammary glands removed along with a questionable lymph node to be safe.. 4 months on I noticed a small lump and my vet said it was fat! She was 4.6 kilos and healthy at that time so I thought nothing
Then I noticed her strange gait on her back legs.. again after vets visits he didn’t seem as concerned as I was about checking on her post cancer.. then a total of 14 months since her mammary removal following a 10 day holiday where she was staying with family I came home and I noticed a weakness in her hind legs and poor condition of her fur and a dislike in jumping onto window sills.. which Evie adored to do.. I went to the vet and he checked her over and said no nothing obvious... I pushed for blood tests.. nothing cancer concerning just an urinary infection!
Relief for three days.. she kept collapsing and her breathing was strange
an emergency visit a vet gave her fluids and glucose and vitamins she worked up amazingly... had her infection antibiotics and all seemed good but... a week on she struggled. Reaching and hind legs so back we went and after more fluids .. x rays and she really suffered after sedatives because she had lost at least 1kg in one month and was clearly in pain struggles to eat.. Evie loves food so was quite a concern!
She spent two days high as a kite unable to sleep but following X-ray results he told me her lungs showed matastis and I just knew.
Off too Royal vetinary college to have her X-rays confirmed we went
She never showed pain and after being given tablets to encourage her appetite and pain killers she was eating and acting like my little girl again
But
Once we arrived they whisked her into an oxygen tank for two days whilst they did every ultrasound and check they could to determine her prognosis
One day later and a phone call confirmed her lungs were destroyed by mastastic cancer from her mammary and hip and she had been struggling .. for me I now realise
After a heartbreaking decision re a cat scan to find a prognosis after confirming her little lungs were giving up and having lost a 7 year old greyhound 5 years earlier to hip cancer- diagnosed in the very same room.. I told them No at the last hour to a Ct scan I didn’t want her to die alone after an unnecessary test to confirm what was obvious
So I arrived to collect her.. but she couldn’t breathe outside of the oxygen tank so after an agonising hour and some fleeting moments when my little girl purred in my arms then struggled to breath I had to do what was right for my girl .. it broke my heart as she slipped away
All I regret is I should have pushed for chemo after her mammary removal and I should have pushed for more frequent x rays post opp but we had 14 extra months and at least unlike my greyhound purdy I was with Evie to say goodbye
I died a little bit more I am angry and sad but most of all I want whoever reads this to not accept
She’s ok!!! If your baby comes through any form cancer Demand
3 monthly check ups scans or X-rays please...don’t suffer like I have rip Evie xxx

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
C Cocora I am so sorry about your baby girl :(. You are giving her a great gift, even though your heart is breaking. I’ll light a candle for her tonight. Sending you a big hug. Take care of yourself.

Tanyas68

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou so much
I replied but to the wrong person
I really appreciated your response it really helped
Thankyou for your prayers
I pray she is at peace now I am wishing her to send me a sign
I cannot remove her food or water or litter tray but have her ashes at home finally .. I just miss her