Cat scratching vertical trim

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat, Phoenix, is scratching the vertical trim in a few of my doorways. I plan on fixing the damage with wood filler, paint, and sandpaper. Then, I'd like to find a fabric or product that is enjoyable for cats to scratch and cover the places where she scratches. Any suggestions? Are there any fabrics or products on the market that will conform to the corner-shape of the vertical trim that is enjoyable for cats to scratch? I don't want something that will discourage her from scratching those areas as I'd like to keep the scratching contained to her favorite spots. Also, for those wondering, we have two scratching posts for her, but even after almost two years of trying on my wife and I's part, she refuses to use them. I think she likes her spots, so I want to bend to her wishes as much as possible without continued damage and repair. Thank you for any suggestions.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I imagine something like this might help.

http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith.com/petsupplies/Clear-Door-Protector

I suppose you could try putting a scratching post on top but that would only encourage her. Still, might be worth a try. Is the damage high? She might like to stretch while scratching.

I suppose you could always try glueing or nailing a fabric remnant or even a piece of wood on top of your woodwork.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jdp1886

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The damage is relatively low (I'll have to squat all the way down to fix it). But she's a small cat and she definitely stretches when she scratches. I know that's all in a cat's DNA, so it doesnt really bother us that she does it, just need to keep up on cosmetics as we want to sell our house in the next few years. Thank you for the suggestions.