Cat Scratching But No Fleas!!!!

Vanna234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I realized my cat started scratching herself about a week ago. At first I thought it was fleas(we’ve been fighting them for months now). Last night I checked her fur and combed her and NOTHING! I then realized that her back end and her tail fur was very rough and a little “bald”.
I did change her litter brand and food two weeks ago. So Idk if it’s alergies or something else.
I checked her ears for mites but there is nothing there. My cats do go outside but they haven’t been outside in 2-3weeks now. The scratching started about a week ago(or so).
Her furr is very very rough, but ONLY on her back where the tail begins and the also the tail. She usually scratches her neck as well but there isn’t any loss of fur there.
My other cat is perfectly fine and no scratching.
Any suggestions? Ideas?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Could be related to either the food or litter change. Does sound like an allergy. I would recommend her being seen by a vet for a skin scraping to test the cells.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So Idk if it’s alergies or something else.
Scratching does not always means fleas are present. It could be other allergies such as to food, dust, air and other allergens.

Get her in to the vet for a run through and get the right medical administration for the allergies.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she gotten any medicines lately? If so check the side effects, some times one is itching.

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats seem to scratch all the time too. I dont know what it is?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress? All the getting ready for the holidays changes around the house? Rolling in new stuff - new clothes, new beds, new wrapping paper, new carpets...

Or it could be the dry air due to the furnace. We use vaporizers - those fill with water put the medicine in the plastic dish in the lid, only we don't put any medicine in it. They are our form of inexpensive humidifiers.