Cat Scratches Literal Holes In Her Neck And Head!! Help!

Smythac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve had my cat for almost two years now. I originally got her from my local humane society. When I first saw her there, she had bad scabs all over her neck. The humane society did not know the exact cause (since they found her abandoned along with two other cats) but they assumed it was due to a flea collar burn. However, we soon realized that the wounds were self-inflicted and that she was scratching herself so bad that she was literally tearing holes in her neck. I’m not talking about just her losing fur and making herself bleed, she was literally tearing holes into herself, where you could actually see her muscle.

We bring her to an amazing vet, but even he can't figure out what is wrong with her. He calls her a “problem case.” She doesn’t have fleas, I’ve changed her diet to hypoallergenic (which seemed to work at first but then I went camping for a weekend and she scratched again), and I’ve had her on steroids. The steroids only work some of the time, but I also don't want to have my cat drugged up if she doesn’t have to be. She’s quite literally the happiest and most loving cat I have ever known and I love her so much it hurts.

She’s been wearing bandages around her neck for a while now, which has helped insure she doesn’t penetrate the skin and also seemed to cause her to forget about scratching. However, she’s recently started scratching holes on the top of her head and the side of her face and I can't bandage those areas so I don't know what to do anymore! Please help!

I don't know if it's anxiety because she’s an indoor cat, but I’m afraid to let her be an outdoor cat, especially with these wounds because they could get infected. I just don't know what to do anymore! I'm with her everyday and she's surrounded by love, I just want her to be okay.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you talked with your vet about trying a raw food diet? I had a client who owned a dog with these same issues. She had terrible sores all over her body and she scratched them RAW. It was a terrible sight and no one wanted to pet her. The sores were oozing and she was miserable. I told her to ask her vet about raw food and her vet agreed that it was worth trying. She is now happy and healthy, with nary a sore or scratch!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like a food allergy. Have you been able to narrow down what exactly your cat is allergic to? Proteins are usually the culprti but also grains, gums, cheap fillers, and many other ingredients commonly found in commericial cat food. Limited ingredient / hypoallergenic diets can be helpful but sometimes a cat can't even eat those. It takes lots of patience to eliminate ingredients one by one to see what is the cause of the allergy. I think there is a test a vet can do to determine what your cat is allergic to but it may or may not be conclusive.

You may find this helpful: Article on Feline Cutaneous Adverse Food Reactions (aka food allergies) and treatment

Homemeade raw and home cooked diets are ideal for food allergy cats because you control the ingredients. It's not as simple as putting raw or cooked meat into a bowl. The meat needs to be properly supplemented. The Raw and Home Cooked forum on TCS has info on how to do this: Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

Some vets are against raw and homecooked diets which is understandable because many people do not know (or are unaware) of how to make a complete diet and the pet ends up with nutritional deficiencies. The recipies and pre-mixes recommended and suggested by TCS members will turn any meat into a complete diet. Other recipies you may find on other web sites may not be. You do not need the vet's permission to feed your cat a raw or home cooked diet.

Are you keeping the claws trimmed? That can help minimize skin damage as the cat scratches. Claw cap covers will also help.

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be stress. My first kitty had a similar issue--groomed fur off her body, bit her own tip of her tail off (thank GOD it grew back!!) all due to a very turbulent time in my life. Once things settled, she settled. I did give her prednisone when her skin issue flared, but after the stress reduced, this got much better. Hugs to you!!!

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While you're figuring it out why don't you glue soft paws (claw caps) over her claws. It could help her not damage herself.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Literal, gaping holes? Do you think her skin seems extra fragile and kind of stretchy? These are symptoms of cutaneous asthenia. I think it's more likely your kitty has a food allergy or stress, like other posters suggested, but this could be something else to ask your vet about, just to be sure.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also try using a feliway air defuser, while you get this sorted out.. My guess would be food allergy or stress.

You have gotten some excellent suggestions.

Resa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Gizmo Le Peu does this. With him, it's allergy related. He has terrible allergies. Soft nail caps or just trimming the tips off of his nails really helps keep him from damaging himself when he's in high allergy mode.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She only focus on her neck and head...could it be a problem with her teeth or some sinus problem?
Did her neck looked like that?

Last edited:

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm, it sounds like an allergy, but my old cat had an issue where he bit the fur off his stomach over stress. He was on kitty prozac for awhile and it cured him. Vets can do allergy testing, similar to the allergy testing people get. You might want to look into that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smythac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your responses everyone! I am sorry I was not able to write back sooner. I tried a raw food diet for two full months, with multiple different proteins: chicken, beef and fish. However, even though she liked the food, it made no difference at all with her scratching. I've tried regular diets, single protein, hypoallergenic, grain free and raw food, so I really do not think its food related at all. It's also definitly not fleas or anything like that. The steroids hardly work anymore and just make her very unhappy. Since I am a college student with little finances, getting a skin biopsy was never a possible option, as my vet (even knowing how long and difficult this road as been and that I have already spent thousands on trying to find a solution without having any money to begin with) is charging around 500-600 dollars for the procedure, though I am saving for it regardless. I just worry that I will not get solid, if any, results from this and that it will just be a waste. Some people suggest that I should have only her back claws taken out, since she will still have her front for defense, and since her back are basically life threatening at this point. Ive tried the soft claws without luck also, so that option is out. I just don't know what to do/what is my best option. I don't want to declaw her back claws because I am against that, but if it will literally save her life, is it okay? Luna doesn't ever seem to be in pain or anything. Like i said, she's the most happy and loving cat until she starts her scratching fits. (Only scratches her neck, but the skin is very thin there, her chin, head and sides of her face).

Also, I live in a cozy house in Maine, no other pets (though her friend sometimes visits), and have a very peaceful atmosphere here. I can't imagine it would be stress. Also, the weather and time of year makes no difference. This behavior is an every day, every month of the year, kind of problem.

Thank you so much again for your replies! You have all been so kind and helpful!

Smythac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She only focus on her neck and head...could it be a problem with her teeth or some sinus problem?
Did her neck looked like that?
Hi! Thank you for your reply! No, my cats neck is just pink and very thin, but its much more smooth looking than that! Also, when my cat was brought to the vet she was checked for ear infections and came up totally clean! Thank you for your help though!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For two months with multiple proteins? If you feed different proteins in that short of time, you really won't be able to tell. I do strongly believe it is food allergies. My cat Mouse, has done the exact same thing as your kitty, for almost a yr till the Vet and I pin pointed exactly what it was. She can only have rabbit, beef or pork. No fish, no poultry of any kind and no grain. Try her on a single protein source for a month and see how she does, no side snacks, no bites of anything other than that single source protein. I feed I and love and you brand, It is a little pricey but its what she can eat. I hope you can find the cause of these issues in your kitty. I do hope you don't declaw her as she will still be itchy, just that she can't soothe the itch. Has your vet recommended any topical cream or ointment to treat her skin?

Smythac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For two months with multiple proteins? If you feed different proteins in that short of time, you really won't be able to tell. I do strongly believe it is food allergies. My cat Mouse, has done the exact same thing as your kitty, for almost a yr till the Vet and I pin pointed exactly what it was. She can only have rabbit, beef or pork. No fish, no poultry of any kind and no grain. Try her on a single protein source for a month and see how she does, no side snacks, no bites of anything other than that single source protein. I feed I and love and you brand, It is a little pricey but its what she can eat. I hope you can find the cause of these issues in your kitty. I do hope you don't declaw her as she will still be itchy, just that she can't soothe the itch. Has your vet recommended any topical cream or ointment to treat her skin?

Thank you for your reply! What we did was we only fed her one of the raw proteins for a few weeks before moving to the next. Essentially it was fish for one month plus some on its own, and then we tried the chicken for almost a full month and occasionally the beef. I know you are supposed to give each a full month before expecting results but I just couldn't afford to keep it up at the time on top of the steroids and everything :/ With the hypoallergenic food, we purchased the same kind for months on end but didnt see a change, which is perhaps why I felt doubtful about diet being the cause. However, I am very open to trying it the way you explained and will look further into it for sure! So thank you so much again (: Also, no my vet didn't recommend anything other than really just making sure its clean and covered as best as I can, as every time we would put cream or ointment on it, within seconds she would scratch or rub it off, except for her neck which was covered.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! What we did was we only fed her one of the raw proteins for a few weeks before moving to the next. Essentially it was fish for one month plus some on its own, and then we tried the chicken for almost a full month and occasionally the beef. I know you are supposed to give each a full month before expecting results but I just couldn't afford to keep it up at the time on top of the steroids and everything :/ With the hypoallergenic food, we purchased the same kind for months on end but didnt see a change, which is perhaps why I felt doubtful about diet being the cause. However, I am very open to trying it the way you explained and will look further into it for sure! So thank you so much again :) Also, no my vet didn't recommend anything other than really just making sure its clean and covered as best as I can, as every time we would put cream or ointment on it, within seconds she would scratch or rub it off, except for her neck which was covered.

Poor kitty. I use Veterycin spray on my cats' wounds and it helps clean them and heal faster.

Smythac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor kitty. I use Veterycin spray on my cats' wounds and it helps clean them and heal faster.
Hmm I've never heard of that but I will ask my vet about it! I'm happy to hear its helped your cat! Do you know if an allergy test administered by a Vet, can reveal food allergies?

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chicken and fish are both very common food allergies in cats. Many can't handle beef either. I would suggest trying another raw trial with a more unusual protein such as bison, elk, rabbit, etc. The big red meats like elk tend to cost less than meat from smaller animals like rabbit or lamb. Pork is also a good cheaper option. The location of the scratching very strongly suggests food allergies, so I think it's worthwhile to keep exploring that possibility.

Hypoallergenic foods often still contain common allergens, but the proteins in them are hydrolyzed. Hydrolysis is just one step in the metabolism of proteins; these foods are helpful if a cat's food allergy is related to this step, for example if a necessary enzyme is not being expressed, allowing toxic intermediates to accumulate, or if a faulty enzyme is being expressed which generates toxic products. But if the allergic reaction is occurring before or after this stage of metabolism, hydrolyzed proteins won't make any difference.

It's possible that something else is going on, but while you're working on the allergy elimination diet you can keep saving for further tests just in case.

Smythac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! Thank you so much for your response! The information you provided is so helpful and informative, I'm extremely appreciative that you took the time to respond, you've given me much deeper insight into this! Would you possibly be able to tell me how to I can get those more unusual proteins like bison, elk and rabbit? Are they just available at a local grocery store, or do I have to go to the vet? I'm actually a vegetarian so I don't really know where I can get this stuff haha

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Instinct frozen raw rabbit can be purchased at Petco. You just thaw and serve. Primal rabbit is harder to find but I have found it at independent pet food stores like Hollywood Feed. Same deal: just thaw and serve.

Skin conditions take a while to heal so give it time. These conditions don't happen overnight so it takes a while for the body to right itself.

josiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! Thank you so much for your response! The information you provided is so helpful and informative, I'm extremely appreciative that you took the time to respond, you've given me much deeper insight into this! Would you possibly be able to tell me how to I can get those more unusual proteins like bison, elk and rabbit? Are they just available at a local grocery store, or do I have to go to the vet? I'm actually a vegetarian so I don't really know where I can get this stuff haha
Not to be off topic but I just saw a bunch of food documentaries that horrified me and I became a vegetarian a couple of weeks ago. It's hard, lol.